Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Everything went wrong so i have no difficulty staying off it..end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

4 months on Thursday. I quit for tons of reasons but the crux of the issue was that I wasn't a happy person, was not getting anything out of life and hadn't been for a long time. Plus I was angry, tired, depressed and very anxious all the time.

Four months on and I already feel a whole lot better mentally and life is now full of colour and wonder and I am like a kid at Christmas clambouring to rip open my presents, there is so much that I want to do (and have started already).

I am more at ease in my skin, which just helps deal the daily crap life throws at you.

In my experience other people are the biggest annoyance. As I read somewhere, all drinkers work for the drink industry,trying to push you to join them and be 'sociable'. But you get used to dealing with this, just like everything else. There's no way I'm giving up this feeling just to be 'sociable' as they call it.

So, are you reading this, thinking of quitting? Then I say YES, DO IT! Your won't regret it! (hint: prepare properly first - you need a life plan and to keep busy, especially in the early phase!)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

seanrose wrote: »
    hey kate,

can i ask you what your goals are or what you are trying to achieve

personally speaking i am cutting down on drinking,have done 26 days and 28 days this last 2 times,my aim now is to get to the 30days without alcohol.

but i also want to try and learn from the mistakes i have made when i have drank,i know that my problem is binge drinking,the last two times i have drank it has been a weekend binge,sat and sunday,i am always grand after the first night but come the second day thats when my problems start.i get ratty and cranky and my mouth gets the better off me.thats what really gets me down and takes me 2/3 days to get my appettite and general mental state back to where i want it to be.

good luck on you goals kate

im exactly the same but i could go off it for a couple of months but when i go back on it i go a serious binge and it realy affects my mental health. im off it now again about a month and my head is totally clear. but im still getting the itch to go drinking. but i will hope to not give in .

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Would love some tips from you guys on how to go about this as I can't seem to get it right.
    I know all the bad things and problems booze has brought to me. But still go back to it at the weekend. Can sometimes go weeks without but when I do anything can happen.
    This year alone I have missed 5 Mondays from work due to being out on a Sunday night. At 36 I'm still managing to go to all night parties, popping pills, mouthing at people etc etc. Crazy stuff at 18 never mind 36.
    Strangely still managing to perform quite well at work and am studying part time. But at weekends my life really is a wreck - once I have drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

@ mr morgan

yeah the binge drinking really is a problem but one step at at time,firstly cutting down on the drink is the first thing and then the second step is trying to control the binge drinking.

@ keeff

yeah im the exact same,anything really can happen when i drink,i absolutely feel that when i drink that im no longer in control off the person i am,its very scary at times,it ruins everthing good i do when im off it and when i drink people tend to steer well clear off me.if i go drinking on a binge i nearly count monday as a lost day because i cant function at all.why not write down how bad you feel when you drink and how good you feel when your not drinking and then read back the stuff when you feel like going drinking

at least we know that we have a problem with alcohol,i know many friends who do this most weekends,they are depressed for a while but go at it again the following weekend or the weekend after.

hopefully some day i can control the binges but for the time being im working hard to only drink fairly occassionally,and i know people will say that why not have a few every weekend,well that for me is a no no,im like a lot of people its either full tilt or nothing at all

keep up the hard work guys

• Advertisement

Try reading this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Drinking-4-Life-Easily/dp/0954766407/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1317205932&sr=8-18

It makes so much sense. For the few quid it costs, what you have you to lose and so much to gain.

I got fed up with being sick and broke most of the time and everything was giving up on me.My Mind and Body were starting to give me problems and the fun had completely gone i did'nt like the new style cafe/bars at all.There was nothing left.... the glass was drained.... and so was i.Drinkers don't realise what they're missing.All my bills are paid on time.A lot of the anxiety has gone.This Xmas day i will think of all the people who feel like a Bucket of....sitting on a Hot stove i won't envy anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

55 days today.

did two other stints this year, 63 days and 66.

hoping to break my record (of 66 days sober)

I've been drunk 14 times this year. (when i break my bouts of sobriety after 63, 66 etc i tend to go on the sauce a few times)

I'm hoping I'll eventually make it to 100 days sometime. that'll be a real achievement.

The longer you stay off it, the fresher your body and mind feel. Clearer, more in control of your thoughts. You see the world differently.

big change from years gone by where i was beering at least three times a week from the age of 18 to 23.

24 now and I dont get as much women or anything as I'm no longer the life and soul of the party (i often don't really go out anymore and if i do obviously i cant engage as well in all the ''drunken craic'')

nonetheless i wouldnt change anything. i gave it up for health and academic reasons, and also because I do a lot of gym training and it's not entirely conducive to that.
    drink has a horrific hold over this country and most people are trapped under an ethanol filled fog. their lives revolve around alcohol and when the next night out on the lash is.
    that's fair enough, but that's not how I want to live my life.

although the upshot is, whilst I used do a serious amount of drinking, I was never actually addicted to alcohol. My real vice is coca cola - drink at least three cans a day and the longest ive ever stayed off that is 19 days that was two years ago!! tried to stay off it recently and could only do a week!! so drink isn't the real demon I'll have you all know!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done frankAmasing, you seem to know what you want and are going for it,dont worry about the women & craic your life will eventually turn into what way you want it to. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I think I need to stop drinking myself.

I drink out of boredom more than anything but last night was an eye opener.
    Had the usual Thursday pint and pub grub reading the paper. But when I left I just wanted another drink. Very worrisome. Going to try and stay off it for as long as possible now. It really is a depressant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LittleAmy

Day 26 today... This will be my fourth drink free weekend :)

But... My OH is going away on a stag weekend and I'm worried I might get tempted to have have a glass bottle of wine in his absence..

I hope I can stay strong.. I keep mentally reinforcing the reasons why I've given up, and I'm getting a lot of strength from reading the threads in this forum.. So fingers crossed.

Think of it this way, when your OH is there, you CAN have a drink any time. It's not your OH who is banning you from drinking, it is your own personal choice, which you are doing for yourself and your own positive reasons so your OH being away should make no difference.

I would advise keeping really busy, especially if you feel 'at risk' and have something really nice to do as the highlight of your weekend. Have a point of focus. Leave no voids, no room for 'what if ...'.

You've done so well so far, there's absolutely no reason to use this an excuse to throw the towel in.

Perhaps project your mind forward to Monday morning, do you want to feel really proud of yourself? Or how will you feel if you decide to drink?

Wishing you the best and I hope your weekend goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SmoosBoo

I just stumbled across this thread this morning. It has given me inspiration.

I decided to give up drink for the month of September – no main reason other than I felt I was drinking too often (4 or 5 nights a week). The amount of drink it took for me to feel merry or drunk was increasing also.

Over the last week, I have been debating with myself, as to whether or not I should start back drinking on Saturday, but, on this final day of my personal challenge, guess what? I don’t even feel like drinking.

The OH and kids have noticed the weight drop off me. Cycling helps a lot too!

I think I’ll stick with not drinking for a while more.

Thanks Hubba.. Yeah I know I can drink any time, but the tought of 'nobody ever has to know' keeps creeping into my head :( one half of me would just love to hear that playful splash of the wine hitting the glass and that first ice cold swallow from a frosty glass :( grrrrrrrrrrrr

BUT, on the other hand, I've come so far now, and I have been feeling better than I had in years.. I am going to stick to my guns.. I'm going to have a nice hot bath and some camomile tea and watch a movie.. might even bust out a bar of Dairymilk ;)

LittleAmy wrote: »
    Thanks Hubba.. Yeah I know I can drink any time, but the tought of 'nobody ever has to know' keeps creeping into my head :( one half of me would just love to hear that playful splash of the wine hitting the glass and that first ice cold swallow from a frosty glass :( grrrrrrrrrrrr

BUT, on the other hand, I've come so far now, and I have been feeling better than I had in years.. I am going to stick to my guns.. I'm going to have a nice hot bath and some camomile tea and watch a movie.. might even bust out a bar of Dairymilk ;)

god the fist half of you quote really gave me the itch!

mrmorgan wrote: »
    god the fist half of you quote really gave me the itch!

Sorry :( just venting..

LittleAmy wrote: »
    Sorry :( just venting..

ha ha no need to be sorry. i get the itch very easily ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Ive touched too many drops, wow im a *****up! I drank like a moron last night and lost everything in my pockets and now cannot attend a family event! Im a *****ing great guy, something wrong with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Come on guys, sober october, lets get on it!! we'll each keep a blog here updating our progress every few days!!
    who is with me?

Come on guys, sober october, lets get on it!! we'll each keep a blog here updating our progress every few days!!
    who is with me?

Great idea :) Who is in ?

• Advertisement

Sober October? Great idea. Give the body and mind a break from summer excesses, save some money for xmas pressies and maybe lose a few pounds in the process.

I'm in. i've gone through September so why not carry it on.

great idea,2 weeks done already so doing october would bring me to a stage where it would be the longest without alcohol since i started drinking

I'm in guys. I'm on my 59th day today, as i mentioned above 66 days was my longest so please God i can set a new record. Going all of October would bring me right up to nearly the 90 day mark which would be some achievement!! :D and sure when you get to 90, you're almost at the three digit mark! :P

each day as it comes though, a day at a time, we'll all get through this and be the better for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I will be 9 weeks off it on wednesday, I did it to try and get fit, I was not a week off it and i tore my hamstring, still not back training. It's the longest ever I have stayed off it.

If everyone gets themselves a plan for the month to keep busy & occupied it will help,
    Any old hobbies you have let go by the way side time to get them back up and started.
    Getting your body back into shape is also good as you will feel so strong mentally and physically,
    Or if just want to sit around and read your favorite books that will be good to,just lets all post here daily of what your up to,together we can all get through this.Just do it.

Just wondering how people are getting on

have 17 days done at this stage after doing 26 and 28 days previous

im keeping myself occupied by swimming and the gym and feel great after doing these sessions,doing on average 25 kms between bike,running and swimming on top of footie training two nights a week and a match once a week

one thing though that i have realised is that even without drink life is a bitch at times but with a clear head problems seem to be easier to overcome,i think that lying with a hangover for a few days you nearly thing that bad times wont pass and drink magnifies problems about 100%

I was extremely close to going drinking tonight.

there's a girl i'm mad after, and her course is having a class party tonight, my other friend is in the class and he persuaded me yesterday to come along, have a few juices and he'd introduce me.

i was very tempted to go, i even agreed to.

thought about it all day, and realised a) i didn't really wanna wake up with a hangover tomorrow b) couldn't afford to waste two days of my life, in the pub all night tonight and on the couch all day tomo c) it would have an effect on studies, my gym training, and my goals to stay sober for another month.

I texted him at six o clock and told him I was bailing.

In the library now, trying to study, and will have a fresh head tomo, clean sober, ready to study and able to go to the gym and do a good session, and most importantly 63 days clean and another day on the wagon to a better life!!!

Sober october is still on course, despite the biggest temptation yet offered to me!! satan himself must be mad to get me back on the sauce, but i've resisted the demon drink and live to tell the tale!!!!

How are you all coping/struggling/bossing it!!!!!!!!!!!?

Drunks never see themselves the way others do.I saw a vid of myself and i was embarrassed............little wonder i get so few calls.....oh i deserve it...

• Advertisement

seanrose wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are getting on

have 17 days done at this stage after doing 26 and 28 days previous

im keeping myself occupied by swimming and the gym and feel great after doing these sessions,doing on average 25 kms between bike,running and swimming on top of footie training two nights a week and a match once a week

one thing though that i have realised is that even without drink life is a bitch at times but with a clear head problems seem to be easier to overcome,i think that lying with a hangover for a few days you nearly thing that bad times wont pass and drink magnifies problems about 100%

Yep this is it,No problems get better with drinking,there always still there the next day.Keep at it people when your in doubt check in here and read the posts of why you wanted this in the first place,:)

Advertisement