Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming in Galway

• 23-04-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi guys my name is Paul Murphy. I am a pc gamer, every month I host a gaming comp. in Galway City. I am hoping to make this event bigger and would love to see some new faces at it. If there is anyone that would like more info. please reply here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

What size are the events?
    What games do you play?
    Whats the duration of the competition?
    Is it for prizes or for fun?
    Where is it located? (What Venue do you stage it in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tharkun

The next competition will be 32 man event.
    The game is COD4
    It will last between 4-6 hours
    Tickets are 20 Euro
    1st prize is 200 Euro
    It is located in Galway city
    The next competition is in a place called Squareyes
    They are offering credit as prizes for 2nd and third place.

Need any more info just ask :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

When is the next event :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'll be at the next one. Was at the last one, some savage players there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya whens it on ? that 200 would come in handy :)

• Advertisement

It is on may 10th if you want to follow it closer check out the www.squareyes.com fourms

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Kick-ass :)

I've been meaning to get down to Galway to chat to Ronan bout something like this.

Any Friend of Ronan's is welcome. Would love to see you down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

€200? Why that's not half bad. I'd be tempted to learn the game just for the money. Assuming it's not FFA or anything silly like that?

it is team based for the start then they have something like the top team goes thru and the top players from the loosing teams go thru... then its a FFA...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Real Deal

sounds cool,Square eyes good place for lan gaming,but lack of internet gaming kinda suks.
    might pop down for a look.

Competition starts at 5:30 on May 10th so if anyone is intrested tickets will cost €20 and can be purchased in Squareyes if cannot make it down to Squareyes before the competition starts you can always ring Squareyes on 091-500688 and ask them to hold a ticket for you. I you want any further details here is the direct link to the Crossfire thread http://www.squareyes.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=264.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Just thought I'd say on behalf of Paul that the Crossfire tournament scheduled for May 10th has now been moved to May 24th in light of exams etc.

Anyone who's interested in good, team-based fun we invite to call on down! The teams are randomly selected so no "noobs" or "l33ts" facing off; everything's fair and that makes for a good overall laugh!

why hardcore, why cant i bring my own mouse(cant stand the high dpi in squareyes)

Just letting you all know that Crossfire has been moved until May 24th. (thanks Aaron)

Also the reason that you are not allowed to bring your own equipment is for two reasons.

1) Everyone using the same equipment makes for a fairer game.
    2) Ronan doesnt want anything plugged into the machines. (they are worth alot!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Tharkun wrote: »
    1) Everyone using the same equipment makes for a fairer game.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. If someone uses the keyboard and mouse that are setup in Squareeyes, they have a distinct advantage over those who do not.
    Tharkun wrote: »
    2) Ronan doesnt want anything plugged into the machines. (they are worth alot!)

Plugging something into a machine is hardly going to damage it, they could be even plugegd in my a member of staff. If they're worried about drivers, they could host the on their local servers.

If it's USB, and not some uber ghey over the top rodent festooned with superfluous buttons, then generic HID driver should work.

awhir - turn down the sensitivity in the game menu perhaps?
    What mice are in SquareEyes?

po0k wrote: »
    If it's USB, and not some uber ghey over the top rodent festooned with superfluous buttons, then generic HID driver should work.

Couldn't tell you... good ones? And don't worry, the sensitivity can be controlled through most of the games.

What squareyes are getting at with standard-PCs is that everybody will be at a similar peg on the wall. It's not really an issue of breaking the PCs, but as in many cases you might have somebody saying "he just won because he has a 23454405300 DPI mouse". The usual stuff I guess :D

CS faegs :)

There are 3 different types of mice; all razer mice. The thing that annoys me is that I can't reduce the sens enough. They are too high, ingame sens won't bring it down enough. There should be a menu for the razer config that allows u to change it.

• Advertisement

My guess is that they'll let that happen eventually. At the moment, they're working on various user-interface things (I believe).

One of the more demanded things is a game-timer :)

po0k wrote: »

I did :( but the mice are at something like 2000dpi so it doesnt help much .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I think it's important to point out that changing the DPI and changing the in-game sensitivity are different things, and while the argument that only-really-good-players-notice stands in general, I think this is an FPS game being discussed here, and I think they're playing for cash.

Regardless, a gaming establishment seemingly aimed at the more hardcore gamers (judging by their setup), should at the very least allow users to bring in their own mouse as Kinetic pointed out, in my own opinion it should also let them bring in their own config.

Sniipe: I think they're all diamondbacks? Just different colours...I'm not certain though - I was only in there for a few minutes to see if they were hiring :) they weren't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

if they are razor there should be a tray icon. i play with 2500dpi and i really notice the difference when i go on mice that are polling at a slower rate and at lower dpi. people that are not used to high dpi will hate it at beginining but no more than me will grow to love it. has squareeyes got headsets yet last time i was in there was none and if i went i would want to use a headset

Advertisement