26-02-2021, 12:47   #16
Dempo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
It’s not bizarre in the slightest that so many Dentists are leaving the scheme. The Government don’t want to pay for the service being provided on their behalf.
It is bizzare, particularly the excuse given to me, the practice in question has two premises in a Midlands Town, has by all means a very large successful practice. Whatever their reasons, blaming lack of funding for PPE and covid protocols was I believe inappropriate. Their contract fees an entirely seperate matter but I seriously doubt the scheme runs at a substantial loss to a practice.
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 13:01   #17
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempo1 View Post
It is bizzare, particularly the excuse given to me, the practice in question has two premises in a Midlands Town, has by all means a very large successful practice. Whatever their reasons, blaming lack of funding for PPE and covid protocols was I believe inappropriate. Their contract fees an entirely seperate matter but I seriously doubt the scheme runs at a substantial loss to a practice.
Your doubts are misplaced.

The primary duty of care for providing treatments to medical card holders and children under 16 lies with the HSE. They subcontract that care to private dentists through the DTSS scheme. When Clinics reopened last May the Government/HSE said they would provide access to, and payment for PPE to Dentists providing treatment to Med Card patients on their behalf. That PPE costs a lot and up to recently was difficult to get, but the HSE/Government reneged on their commitment. The fees for Med card treatments are very low compared to private fees, so, Dentists have low fees along with additional higher costs of providing treatment. No matter what sector you work in, that is not sustainable. Hence why Dentists are exiting the scheme in droves.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 13:10   #18
Dempo1

Quote:
Your doubts are misplaced.

The primary duty of care for providing treatments to medical card holders and children under 16 lies with the HSE. They subcontract that care to private dentists through the DTSS scheme. When Clinics reopened last May the Government/HSE said they would provide access to, and payment for PPE to Dentists providing treatment to Med Card patients on their behalf. That PPE costs a lot and up to recently was difficult to get, but the HSE/Government reneged on their commitment. The fees for Med card treatments are very low compared to private fees, so, Dentists have low fees along with additional higher costs of providing treatment. No matter what sector you work in, that is not sustainable. Hence why Dentists are exiting the scheme in droves.
All fair points and I appreciate how the scheme is supposed to work. Whatever about the fees being low, that's a matter for whomever negotiated those fees. I just feel yet again its patients caught up in an unsavoury dispute between medical professionals and the HSE. My primary point was the communication I recieved which I found inappropriate, my dentist could have just left it at we've withdrawn rather than bring PPE and covid protocol expenses into it. But I do accept fully your points.
26-02-2021, 13:18   #19
Dav010

Quote:
All fair points and I appreciate how the scheme is supposed to work. Whatever about the fees being low, that's a matter for whomever negotiated those fees. I just feel yet again its patients caught up in an unsavoury dispute between medical professionals and the HSE. My primary point was the communication I recieved which I found inappropriate, my dentist could have just left it at we've withdrawn rather than bring PPE and covid protocol expenses into it. But I do accept fully your points.
The fees were not negotiated. In a cost cutting exercise in 2010 the Government reduced the amount of treatments covered (there used to be no limits on number of fillings, other items were also covered) and the fees. They have not been “negotiated” since, despite requests from the Dental Association, this is why Dentists are leaving what should be a guaranteed source of income.

Do you not feel that your Dentist had a responsibility to inform you why they were leaving? Your ire should be directed to the Department responsible for the shortcomings of the scheme, your local TD.
26-02-2021, 13:58   #20
gdpman

Quote:
I had a medical card contract for nearly 25 years and resigned from the scheme.
The level of fees paid is only one of the many problems with being a contractor for the HSE.
The scheme has been dysfunctional for years and we were forced into providing a level of care that was unfair to patients and the practice.
The manner the practices that held a medical card contract were treated during the covid pandemic has been poor. The majority of practices have not even been contacted yet for receiving the vaccine yet, we were promised PPE last year and the HSE disconnected the phone and never responded to a single email.
This was unfortunately the last straw for many practices that were strongly committed to the scheme.
We contacted our patients to apologise for leaving the scheme, but unfortunately we were a small business NOT a HSE clinic and had to take a commercial decision to leave the scheme. We did urge all our patients to contact their local representatives and raise this issue but until the coverage this week has received little if no air time.
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 14:42   #21
Masi

Quote:
Perhaps you should work on your own.

As a Dentist, the op’s description of the HSE dental scheme is absolutely on the money, it is a joke, and were it not for the fact that it impacts people’s lives so much, you would laugh at it.

Unfortunately people have little option but to have teeth removed, and resign themselves to the gaps, or wearing dentures as a result. It is not a case that the op is choosing between a €90 filling or a trip to Turkey, it is a case that the second may be a later consideration/consequence of not being able to access remedial treatments because of a silly policy imposed by the HSE.
No I'm good....
26-02-2021, 15:04   #22
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
No I'm good....
Helps to be informed, before you start taking the piss out of posters in difficult positions, asking for advice.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion