Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bikes launching hybrid e-bikes

Options
  • 25-02-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.dublincity.ie/news/now-tv-dublinbikes-launch-e-dublinbikes-hybrid-electric-option Skip to main content

https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1364897722692743178

an extra 60 quid and you have to carry the battery with you to use the e-bikes
    NOW TV dublinbikes to launch ‘e-dublinbikes’ hybrid electric option

- Half the fleet to upgrade to hybrid electric
    - New electric bikes to roll out from March 30th
    - Subscribers to electric option to get personal portable batteries

Dublin City Council, JCDecaux and the National Transport Authority (NTA) have today announced that the NOW TV dublinbikes scheme will be enhanced with the upgrade of 50% of the fleet of 1,600 to hybrid electric bikes, commencing on March 30th when the first batch of e-dublinbikes will be launched.
    The hybrid electric option will be ideal for subscribers who want a quick and convenient mode of transport around the city thanks to the electrical assistance the e-dublinbikes can provide. The bikes can also be operated as a regular pedal bike when the personal battery is not in use. The electric option will be available to annual subscribers for an additional €60 per annum. [on top of the 35 it cost now ] The e-dublinbikes option will open on the NOW TV dublinbikes App and website from March 8th to allow delivery of personal batteries before March 30th. New subscribers signing up to the scheme will have the choice of either an annual subscription or an annual subscription plus e-dublinbikes, depending on their needs. Existing subscribers can choose to add the e-dublinbikes option to their current subscription.

Once subscribers sign up for the electric option a personal portable battery will be delivered to them and this battery can then be used in the hybrid bikes to provide electrical assistance for up to 8km per charge. The battery is small enough to fit in to a jacket pocket or a small bag and is equipped with a micro USB-C port and can be used to charge a mobile phone or tablet when not in use on an electric bike. The hybrid dublinbikes are identifiable via a blue basket at the front of the bike which contains the slot for the portable battery. The e-dublinbikes can also be cycled by annual subscribers as a regular pedal bike without a battery.

Launched in 2009, dublinbikes quickly became part of the fabric of Dublin city with Dubliners and visitors to the city using them to make their way around the capital. With over 30 million journeys taken since the launch of the scheme, it is one of the most successful in the world and has proven itself to be an efficient, healthy and fun way to get around. In more recent times NOW TV dublinbikes have continued to operate throughout the COVID 19 pandemic to ensure that those making essential journeys have access to the scheme and in order to take pressure off other public transport services while restrictions are in place.

The introduction of e-dublinbikes to the scheme follows the launch of a new App based system earlier this year which allows members to take bikes out at stations using their mobile phones and also have easier access to their account information and bike availability details.

Funding for the introduction of e-dublinbikes is being provided by the NTA to Dublin City Council.

Minister for Transport, Eamon Ryan TD said: “The expansion of dublinbikes to include a hybrid electric option will offer increased options for existing dublinbikes subscribers as well as an incentive to new users to join the scheme. The additional assistance from an e-bike can make it easier to cover longer distances, and it will offer a new option to people who may find it challenging to cycle on a traditional bike. The dublinbikes scheme complements existing transport solutions in the capital, bringing another sustainable and safe travel choice to the community. I would like to congratulate everyone involved with this project, including Dublin City Council, JCDecaux Ireland, NOW TV and the National Transport Authority who provided funding for the scheme.”

Anne Graham, NTA Chief Executive Officer said “NTA has long been a supporter of this scheme and the introduction of the hybrid e-dublinbikes is a very positive step. The success of dublinbikes has resulted in a greater number of people using sustainable transport modes, for shorter journeys in particular. This new development will make the scheme more attractive and will lead to cycling becoming even more popular in the city.”

Owen Keegan, Chief Executive Officer, Dublin City Council said “The roll-out of 800 hybrid e-dublinbikes demonstrates Dublin City Council’s commitment to developing cycling in the city. Thanks to this major new innovation, the NOW TV dublinbikes scheme will be even more user friendly and it will unlock greater opportunities for members in terms of reduced journey times and longer travel distances. I would like to thank the National Transport Authority for supporting this initiative and everyone involved with the roll out.”

Joanne Grant, Managing Director JCDecaux Ireland said “we are very proud to be launching an electric option for NOW TV dublinbikes subscribers. dublinbikes has been providing a successful environmentally friendly transport option in the city for over a decade now. We see this as a very important progression for the scheme and for the city as e-dublinbikes will enhance sustainable transport solutions in Dublin and accelerate shared urban mobility options whilst complementing other modes of transport.”

Photos will be syndicated to picture desks by Chris Bellew, Fennell Photography.
    ENDS
    For further information please contact:
    Dublin City Council’s Media Relations Office T: 222 2170 M: 087 7400277
    Notes to the Editor:
    About JCDecaux

JCDecaux Ireland is a subsidiary of JCDecaux, the number 1 outdoor advertising company in the world. The group has operations in more than 80 countries and a presence in over 4,000 cities providing high-quality advertising formats across airport, transport, retail and roadside environments, including almost 60,000 digital advertising screens. The company is also a world leader in providing bike-share rental schemes. JCDecaux is the only company worldwide to focus exclusively on out-of-home media.

NOW TV dublinbikes Statistics (31st Jan 2021):
    Number of bikes: 1,600
    Number of stations: 117
    Current Valid Long-Term Subscribers 50,983
    Journeys (since launch) 31,382,890
    Average Duration of Journey (YTD) 16 Minutes
    Percentage of Journeys Free (YTD) 93%
    Estimated reduction in Co2 emissions since launch: 8,055 Tonnes
    From March 30th
    Number of pedal bikes: 800
    Number of hybrid e-dublinbikes: 800
    Number of stations: 117
    Signing up for e-dublinbikes:
    You can sign up for an e-dublinbikes subscription via dublinbikes.ie or on the official NOW TV dublinbikes App from March 8th. The bikes will launch on March 30th.
    To sign up for the e-dublinbikes option you must first have an Annual Subscription. You can add the e-dublinbikes option to your subscription for an annual charge of €60. Once you subscribe to this option you will normally receive a battery to your home within 2 working days via courier.
    The battery:
    The personal battery is completely portable and allows subscribers to benefit from electrical assistance for up to 8km per charge when using an e-dublinbike. It comes with a charger, measures less than 170mm and weighs 530 grams so it can easily fit in a jacket pocket or small bag. It is equipped with a micro USB-C port and can be used as an external battery to charge mobile phones or tablets when not being used on a bike.
    Where can I rent an e-dublinbike from?
    e-dublinbikes are available to rent from all NOW TV dublinbikes stations. You can check availability in the official NOW TV dublinbikes App or at a station terminal. They are identifiable on-screen by the lightning symbol at the front of the bike.
    Using e-dublinbikes:
    e-dublinbikes can be used with or without the portable battery. They are identifiable by the blue basket at the front of the bike which contains the slot for the portable battery. The battery is slipped into the slot to enable electrical assistance.
    Once a charged battery is slotted into the basket holder of an e-dublinbike it powers a motor which provides assistance when you pedal, helping to propel the bike forward. This is most noticeable when cycling up hills or when cycling against strong headwinds. The electric motor assistance is limited to a max speed of 25 km/h.
    If a subscriber doesn’t have a charged battery handy or if exercise is preferred, the subscriber can use the e-dublinbikes as a regular pedal bike. Annual subscribers who do not have an e-dublinbikes subscription can also use available e-dublinbikes without battery assistance.

why wouldn't they charge at the stations, wouldn't that be the main advantage to having static docking stations versus the other operators that don't.
    close up of battery https://twitter.com/DubCityCouncil/status/1364913432408039427

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How much are these bikes now.
    I remember when it was €10 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

JimmyVik wrote: »
    How much are these bikes now.
    I remember when it was €10 per year.
    35 annual subscription or 5 for 3 days https://www.dublinbikes.ie/en/offers/groups

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how much assistance is a 500 gram battery likely to provide?

and if you don't pay for the battery, half the bikes are now (even) heavier due to them having a motor attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

why wouldn't they charge at the stations, wouldn't that be the main advantage to having static docking stations versus the other operators that don't.

I had assumed this would be the case, having to carry around a battery in case I decide to use a DB is a bit inconvenient.

Does having the battery attached to the bike permanently increase the value significantly and therefore the risk of theft? Of either the bike or the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

loyatemu wrote: »
    how much assistance is a 500 gram battery likely to provide?

and if you don't pay for the battery, half the bikes are now (even) heavier due to them having a motor attached.

It’s a small hub motor. Minimal weight. The range is 8km.
    Strange way to do it.

Not going to lie , I thought it was an April fools prank. Launching last day of March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was excited about this till I read you have to get your own battery, that just seems ridiculous and I can see it being outdated very quickly if it isn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

So you've to treble your subscription cost, carry around your own battery, and hope that one of the bikes at your stand is an ebike.
    Great, thanks lads.

buffalo wrote: »
    I had assumed this would be the case, having to carry around a battery in case I decide to use a DB is a bit inconvenient.

Does having the battery attached to the bike permanently increase the value significantly and therefore the risk of theft? Of either the bike or the battery.

Dont leave the battery in it by accident :)

I think i'll wait for the scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

has anyone used to moby bikes? what are they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Could they not have offered a solution with battery built into the frame etc, charging the battery automatically when the bike is docked? Sounds simple enough, especially with a small battery and small range (and if you run out of charge, just dock the bike and take another one).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

I wish they'd focus on building out more stations instead of gimmicky things like this. The coverage area of Dublin Bikes is relatively flat and the bikes are so low geared that any incline you do encounter is not much of an issue.

I'd love to know what this upgrade cost DCC and how many stations could have been built for the same kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The reason they are offering this is because the vendor, JCDecaux are only offering this one option. There is literally no other way to electrify the Dublin Bike network.

It's a bad solution, and reminded me that I never use the service anymore so cancelled after almost 10 years with an account.

They'll probably never add another stand or properly expand the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Can the bikes be used without the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

Given that the bikes are already heavy enough, the motor will make little to no difference. Matters even less as distances are short.

I do see quiet a lot of people struggling to accelerated off at lights, probably due to a combination of heavy bike, incorrect gear selection, and no crossbar to help stabilise the bike against your thigh.

If the motor and battery pack can give a good boost off the line, it could be a good option for people who currently don't use the bikes because they find them clunky.

Really targeted towards planned journies.

Given the success of the programme so far, I would expect they've done theirs homework on this. I wonder has it been done anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Velib in Paris seem to have more conventional electric option with the battery built into the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Can the bikes be used without the battery?
    Yes, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Two things of note in an email I got from Dublin Bikes:
    The personal portable battery is small enough to fit into a jacket pocket or a small bag and is equipped with a USB-C port so it can be used to charge a mobile phone or tablet when not in use in an e-dublinbike. The bikes can also be operated as a regular pedal bike when the personal battery is not inserted and as such you do not have to have an e-dublinbikes subscription to use one.

Quite a few people carry power banks around for tablets or phones, so I guess some of them might carry the DB battery instead.

Advertisement