Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Hacksaw Blade

Options
  • 24-02-2021 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Want to make some blades with old hacksaw blades (At least I’m trying to learn). I need to use all-hard or power hacksaw blade. Which is not like the common bimetal blades which are too soft. I have an opportunity to buy some old blades but the seller doesn’t have any info on metal type. I thought that maybe the power hacksaw blade wouldn’t be flexible as they are known to be brittle. Would anyone be able to comment on the attachment. Odd request. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

Want to make some blades with old hacksaw blades (At least I’m trying to learn). I need to use all-hard or power hacksaw blade. Which is not like the common bimetal blades which are too soft. I have an opportunity to buy some old blades but the seller doesn’t have any info on metal type. I thought that maybe the power hacksaw blade wouldn’t be flexible as they are known to be brittle. Would anyone be able to comment on the attachment. Odd request. Thanks.

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

karlitob wrote: »
    Pic attached

Too thin, you need a heavier blade to make something decent.
    This place has Soviet surplus for not much.
    https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/soviet-saw-blade-surplus/66514

CJhaughey wrote: »

It’s thinness that I’m looking for. I want to make a blade for cutting patterns out of leather and need about 1.5 - 2mm thickness. It’s more the metal quality in terms of honing and keeping an edge I was wondering about. I could pick up d2 or m2 stock for that price (I think). Want it to be cheap cheap. Just for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

How about using the steel blade from an old hardpoint handsaw? Not sure of the steel type but the teeth are induction hardened which would lead me to believe that it is a carbon steel/ spring steel which can be hardened and tempered. I have used an old throwaway saw to make a replacement blade for a floor scraper and it worked great. A typical 22" handsaw would yield plenty of potential blade stock.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Any idea on what the metal ij the picture is?

• Advertisement

How about using the steel blade from an old hardpoint handsaw? Not sure of the steel type but the teeth are induction hardened which would lead me to believe that it is a carbon steel/ spring steel which can be hardened and tempered. I have used an old throwaway saw to make a replacement blade for a floor scraper and it worked great. A typical 22" handsaw would yield plenty of potential blade stock.

Sure I’ll use anything to make it. It was just that these hacksaw blades were cheap.
    It’s the steel for cheap is what I’m after. Hacksaw blade is perfect for width for what I’m looking for. And I want the steel to hold an edge. And I don’t want to have to cut down a larger saw if I don’t have to - but I will.
    What do you think of the photo? Would it be hard steel so think or the modern bimetal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Impossible to tell from a photo, but I don't think you find much cheaper than my suggestion. Also old worn out kichen knives, especially older carbon steel can be readily cut down and shaped to make useful worshop/ crafting knives. Check out youtube for more details on homemade marking knives. If you have access to a bench grinder, some files and a small propane torch you can readily make or alter existing knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know a seller of used boning knives, usually Victorinox these are proper stainless and will hold a great edge and can be shaped to whatever thickness you want.
    Way cheaper than buying and making a knife from a hacksaw blade.
    I think they are €5 ea or around that price.
    You could experiment with blade shapes and thickness before going to deep into cutlery.

Advertisement