Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Departed pets;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So sorry for your loss Molly (hugs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss Molly. Pangur ban sounds like she was a right little character. Her little life was short but it sure sounds like it was happy with you guys. Your tribute to her is beautiful.

RIP little one, I hope you’ve found a nice sunny deck for all eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So sorry for your loss, Molly. My first cat, Tigger, chose me the same way Pangur Ban chose your husband, and he too was the very last cat we looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Molly, so sorry.,found the people here great when I was down. Recount as many stories as you want. While this is a thread I hate seeing come up with new posts, I know how good people can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

So Sorry Molly, what a wonderful little face she had,Sleep well Pangur Bán.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Molly, that was a wonderful tribute to your beautiful Pangur Bán. She was with you 2 years only, but she left memories that keep you company for a lifetime. She was an angel with the task to open your heart to the world of cats. I'm sure she will lead you to your next cat, cats do magic.
    RIP Pangur Bán, your white fur will shine at the Bridge, where the sun is always bright.

When I lost my black cat Amelia on the road I was distraught, until this little lady appeared on my friend's FB for rehoming. We had the best year with her, far too short. She was so incredibly beautiful but a terrible little gurrier. She always stank and ran around the neighbourhood wailing, looking in windows and getting sausages in return. She would wake us without fail at 6am by flying into the bedroom yelling and land in the middle of the bed.
    Just over a year later, in just about the same spot, our Cecelia was also hit by a car. It's not even a busy road. Cats, it's always such a potential emotional carcrash (no pun intended) to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry for your loss budgese.

I never posted here at the time, posted in the chit chat thread, but it's been a week since we said goodbye to Ella, our husky. In ways, it feels longer. Missing her terribly :(

When I lost my black cat Amelia on the road I was distraught, until this little lady appeared on my friend's FB for rehoming. We had the best year with her, far too short. She was so incredibly beautiful but a terrible little gurrier. She always stank and ran around the neighbourhood wailing, looking in windows and getting sausages in return. She would wake us without fail at 6am by flying into the bedroom yelling and land in the middle of the bed.
    Just over a year later, in just about the same spot, our Cecelia was also hit by a car. It's not even a busy road. Cats, it's always such a potential emotional carcrash (no pun intended) to love them.

Such a lovely cat, indeed.
    It was only a year, but I'm sure it was one of the best years in your life.
    RIP Cecelia.

jellybear wrote: »
    So sorry for your loss budgese.

I never posted here at the time, posted in the chit chat thread, but it's been a week since we said goodbye to Ella, our husky. In ways, it feels longer. Missing her terribly :(

I'm sorry to read about the loss of your Ella. I hope all was painless for her.
    RIP Ella.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Budgese i can see attitude bursting out of that photo. It is a rollercoaster with them, i'm sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Jellybear, i'm sorry about Ella, you must be heartbroken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Dear Ella, you're finally home with us. The hole you leave in our hearts will never be filled. I promise we'll always remember you and your beautiful face. We'll chat about you and remember the amazing near 13 years we had with you. Sleep tight. We love you forever. Our best girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Dear Ella, you're finally home with us. The hole you leave in our hearts will never be filled. I promise we'll always remember you and your beautiful face. We'll chat about you and remember the amazing near 13 years we had with you. Sleep tight. We love you forever. Our best girl.

That's just beautiful.

That is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful girl. I'm sure she is thanking you for this.

One year today,Toby. He is still such a part of our lifes, our conversation, Can smile and laugh at all his antics . and get tearful. Still miss you so very much My best little man..

my sister sent this to me. I hope you don't mind me sharing.

A poem by Gene Hill.

“He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being, by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags.

Without him, I am only another person. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
    His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me… whenever… wherever – in case I need him. And I expect I will – as I always have.

To everyone who's lost their friend,, their pet, you are not alone. Best wishes for 2021 x

[IMG][/img]PhFquMmm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Beautiful poem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

That is beautiful sdp. I’m in tears here, thinking of my Toby too, who had to leave me on 3rd October 2019.

I often think how he would have loved lockdown - humans at home every day and available for cuddles or a quick ball game during work breaks, lol.

Gone but never forgotten.

It's a very moving poem, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He’s gone 6 years tomorrow.

Today was the day that in the early part of it he seemed brighter and that evening he just deteriorated so quickly. That was the moment when you realise that this is something serious. I can still point to the piece of ground I was standing on the following morning when the vet told us we were at the end of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

He wasnt my pet but I know he was beloved by many..... RIP Raoul OToole
    My own Tiger was of a similar vintage when he went to play with the country mice...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/community-mourns-brays-wee-legend-19868480

pottokblue wrote: »
    My own Tiger was of a similar vintage when he went to play with the country mice...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/community-mourns-brays-wee-legend-19868480
    That's awful news, he was a lovely cat, had his own little "kennel" outside, and was always up for a stroke although once he'd had enough, he let you know! RIP Raoul.

pottokblue wrote: »

Poor little fellow, he had a very rich life indeed, he met thousands people no doubt. RIP Raoul O'Toole.

P.S.: How do they know he was 21?

P.S.: How do they know he was 21?
    Probably just based on a guess as to his age when he first came to them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Just lost Timmy,Hit by a car and looks like it was instant.

He wandered into our lives with a litter of kittens from this lovely stray cat about 9 years ago,Was 4 in total i think but this one kitten stood out,Small and fluffy,They were all feral but we would leave food out for them.

One day i noticed that the other kittens were not letting the little fluffy one the space and time to eat,Decision was made to try feed him separately as he was starting to look sick and we were sure he would not make it.
    Attempts were made and anyway he got enough to survive through the early stages.

Think it was a case that they used come and go for a long time,But finally it only ended up with Timmy that would show up on occasion,Still scared of humans but i don't recall him ever hissing.Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

3 years or so later he was a bit more approachable and around that time he damaged his tail,Maybe got caught on something-I don't know.
    Used be bleeding yet he seemed to just get on with it,Finally with him being approachable enough to get him into a cage he was taken to the vets and most of the tail removed.After this i spent long days and nights trying to reassure him while he was in the unfamiliar surroundings of a old curtain covered room in the house,He managed to figure out the litter box and while it was a struggle to keep him occupied and to stay in the house it was then i came to a realization that there was something special about the little guy,Maybe it was a sense of calmness that he had,Hard to tell really.

5 or 6 days later it was time to leave him out and hope that the stitches would be okay,And that he would not hold it against us.That evening he returned.

Over the next few years he became tamer and tamer,Friendlier and friendlier and somehow loved by even people who normally cant stand cat's.And all the time he would ramble the countryside,At times glad to sleep inside or in a little house i bought for him that he could use outside.Keeping the dog company on colder nights.

Collected him from the roadside earlier,Owed him the dignity to not lay there,He now is buried in the garden near my dog i lost 15 years ago.

As strange as it may seem i used think it a privilege that he would call for his dinner or call over in a evening to just sit on my lap and sleep for a half hour.Such a peaceful little guy,Will be missed more than can be put into words.

4 plus years later and again a void is deep inside.
    Timmy had been father to a couple of kittens only 5 months or so prior to leaving us.

Once Timmy died i made a promise to myself and Timmy that i would do my best to look after his 2 little kittens.

Over 4 years the played,they wrecked havoc, they prowled like professionals.
    They showed love and had lots of soft beds to rest in a nice warm shed.

Blackie and Whitie, both black but whitie with a little dash of white on her chest. Temporary names that stuck.

Blackie stopped eting last week and went to the vet where they idenfified a blockage in the colon, she returned home with me and with some optimism and laxative there was hope for a quick fix.
    Not to be, she didnt eat and a few days later i brought her in again, still looking well and in her usual cat form.

She was taken in for the night for an Xray. Came back showing a massive blockage and damage to the colon. Even with entensive and costly treatment the prognosis was not good.

I made the decision,went in, held her and told her she was the best girl, petted her and tried to let her feel my love for her.
    She looked great,full of pain relief and hydrated by fluids.

She went as peacefully as i could have hoped for, quick and with my hands resting petting her.

One of the most difficult moments i have ever experienced and trust me i have seen too many things that should not be seen. But the emotions were uncontrollable.

I never seem to realise how much of an impact these animals make on me until they are gone.
    I feel they are a gift us mere humans maybe dont deserve. They give us so much joy and make each day a little easier and what thanks do they get in return.

I hope everyone reading this can take away one point. Even though watching my little blackie being put to sleep was heartbreaking i needed to be there to make sure she felt the love i have for her. To hear me saying she was the best little kitty as she left our world. Painful but a respect i needed to give her for 4 years of joy.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    She went as peacefully as i could have hoped for, quick and with my hands resting petting her.

One of the most difficult moments i have ever experienced and trust me i have seen too many things that should not be seen. But the emotions were uncontrollable.

I never seem to realise how much of an impact these animals make on me until they are gone.
    I feel they are a gift us mere humans maybe dont deserve. They give us so much joy and make each day a little easier and what thanks do they get in return.

I hope everyone reading this can take away one point. Even though watching my little blackie being put to sleep was heartbreaking i needed to be there to make sure she felt the love i have for her. To hear me saying she was the best little kitty as she left our world. Painful but a respect i needed to give her for 4 years of joy.

One of the most heart-crushing posts I've ever read.
    It's so full of love and despair and again love that it's going to burst. I'm glad to read there's someone who feels animals like I do.
    I wish you a quick recovery from this huge and incredible pain, I know that Whitie will be a great comfort for you, and I send a kiss to Blackie, up there on her soft cloud, where's she purring down at you.

CB19Kevo, So sorry for your lost, RIP Blackie

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Said Goodbye to my beautiful lab X , Daina aged 13 this morning..diagnosed with lung cancer last Thursday and rapidly went downhill over the weekend..I couldn't watch her suffer any longer..her breathing was laboured and I knew it was time to let go. It was so peaceful at the vets, he came out to the car and we held her , talking to her while she went to sleep. Buried her in the garden under a blue sky and sunshine. A most loyal, kind dog..I will forever miss herX

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Said Goodbye to my beautiful lab X , Daina aged 13 this morning..diagnosed with lung cancer last Thursday and rapidly went downhill over the weekend..I couldn't watch her suffer any longer..her breathing was laboured and I knew it was time to let go. It was so peaceful at the vets, he came out to the car and we held her , talking to her while she went to sleep. Buried her in the garden under a blue sky and sunshine. A most loyal, kind dog..I will forever miss herX

Oh God you poor thing, that was so rapid, the great joy our animals bring us, we rarely get to choose our cats as somehow some poor kittens gets dumped near us and they tend to find a home here, our golden lab is coming 14 shortly and she is on a fine dosage of medication and getting slower each day . When the time is right for you, perhaps you can give another pet the wonderful life they deserve ( from a rescue place or if they just get dumped).

Be kind to yourself and it is very hard to loose your dog that way and so rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

amytomjerry I have a beloved ginger cat buried in the back yard a little later I planted a rosebush over him and now every year when it blooms I think of him perhaps next winter/spring plant a plant you like over Dainas resting patch??

Advertisement