Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bathroom renovations

Options
  • 24-02-2021 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give a rough idea of the price of a complete bathroom renovation for a bathroom in a 3 bedroom semi-d ? Also the same with an en-suite.

First company I spoke to gave me the price of just under 20k for a basic set up which I thought was off the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plumbing Forum might be a better place to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

I'm currently doing an ensuite in a bungalow in Co. Galway at the minute. 3.2m x1.2m tiled floor to ceiling. there was no ensuite there before so no removal of old units or tiles

Tiler €1200 + vat
    Tiles €800
    Sanitary Wear, Shower tray door, shower, vanity unit, toilet radiator and mirror €2000-2500.
    plumber €200ish
    electrician €200 wiring already chased and ran previously just need to terminate 2 exiting sockets and hook up shaving light and shower. I have another little job for him to do while he's in the house too.
    Connecting to existing drains €TBC, I will probably do it myself but need to expose drains to see how much of a job it is.

This would be for a faily high spec finish, talking about €5000 in total,

I have a bigger bathroom 3.2mx 2.2 to do also and i'm estimatating that to be €7000-€7500 but i will do the removal of the old units/ tiles myself. most of the extra expense is for the tiles and bath there's curently a shower and a seperate bath in there but i might combine the 2 to save space/ money so €12-12500 for the 2 with me doing most of the demolition. so 20k seems high

hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

kieran26 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing an ensuite in a bungalow in Co. Galway at the minute. 3.2m x1.2m tiled floor to ceiling. there was no ensuite there before so no removal of old units or tiles

Tiler €1200 + vat
    Tiles €800
    Sanitary Wear, Shower tray door, shower, vanity unit, toilet radiator and mirror €2000-2500.
    plumber €200ish
    electrician €200 wiring already chased and ran previously just need to terminate 2 exiting sockets and hook up shaving light and shower. I have another little job for him to do while he's in the house too.
    Connecting to existing drains €TBC, I will probably do it myself but need to expose drains to see how much of a job it is.

I have a bigger bathroom 3.2mx 2.2 to do also and i'm estimatating that to be €7000-€7500 but i will do the removal of the old units/ tiles myself. most of the extra expense is for the tiles and bath there's curently a shower and a seperate bath in there but i might combine the 2 to save space/ money so €12-12500 for the 2 with me doing most of the demolition. so 20k seems high

Thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Average bathrooms are coming in between the 8k to 10k depending on spec and location.

Yes it's high but there's no shortage of customers and they can charge what they like tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

My bathroom is 1.7 m by 2.3 m and i did it up last year absolutely gorgeous for just under 4k

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    My bathroom is 1.7 m by 2.3 m and i did it up last year absolutely gorgeous for just under 4k

Did you do it yourself or get someone to do it ? I'm working full time at home and apart from not having the time, I'm not comfortable with plumbing.

No i had a builder who sub contracted some of the work to a plumber, an electrician and a tiler. Fantastic job. Moldovans.

No i had a builder who sub contracted some of the work to a plumber, an electrician and a tiler. Fantastic job. Moldovans.

So part of an existing job....

You'd have to have gotten the sub contractors details to get they sort of deal.

No..... not part of an existing job. A lone standing job.

Builder sorted all the skills with his colleagues and he coordinated everyone.

Now he was terrible at co ordinating everyone..... it was very slow..... but when they came they were perfect.

No..... not part of an existing job. A lone standing job.

Builder sorted all the skills with his colleagues and he coordinated everyone.

Now he was terrible at co ordinating everyone..... it was very slow..... but when they came they were perfect.

I'm confused you got a builder to come and subcontractor work just for a bathroom?

Was this your home builder or..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kieran26 wrote:
    Tiler €1200 + vat Tiles €800 Sanitary Wear, Shower tray door, shower, vanity unit, toilet radiator and mirror €2000-2500. plumber €200ish electrician €200 wiring already chased and ran previously just need to terminate 2 exiting sockets and hook up shaving light and shower. I have another little job for him to do while he's in the house too. Connecting to existing drains €TBC, I will probably do it myself but need to expose drains to see how much of a job it is.

Plumber 2000 rather than 200 I would think?

Maybe im using the wrong words. Im not a professional in this area.

I had a contract with a builder. He came in... did the demolition... then he paid some other skilled tradesman for certain aspects of the job that he wasnt skilled in.... so i call that subcontracting.....

I got a lovely unit plus sink and tap in ikea. Constructed it myself.

Bath already there.... grand bath.. .no need to replace it..... Shower drains into the bath..... new shower.

Tiling on the wall and floor
    Panelling on the other wall
    Painted the panelling myself
    2 new lights
    Tiny bathroom..... couldnt swing a cat...... like i said.

Few plants. Mirror from ikea

Total incl Labour was abour 3900

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Got bathroom gutted 3 bed semi d, new everything, big walk in shower, sink, toilet, radiator, tiles, fan, labour almost €5,000. Went to bathroom shop in Limerick, they supplied & delivered everything plumber/handyman, electrician and tiler and took away all rubbish. Took 5 days.

Didn't get the expensive mirror, expensive bathroom accessories. That would have been around another €1,000.

That's a couple of years ago now in limerick, shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just under 10k for us in a 3 bed semi N Dublin.

Work involved knocking a wall between main & en-suite to make one bigger bathroom.

Floor & wall Tiling (which was a heftier chunk than I’d imagined), plumbing & then bath, shower, bowl, sink (w/under storage unit), towel rad, mirror, spot bulb lighting...oh and also a pump for increased shower pressure fitted in hot press.

Lovely job.

Just remembered they also fitted a Stira to the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

kieran26 wrote: »

Tiler €1200 + vat
    Tiles €800
    plumber €200ish

You also need to add:
    Grout
    Adhesive
    Trims (if needed)
    Levelling compound(if needed)
    Tanking system for Shower.
    Agree with another poster that the Plumber would probably be dearer too.

If you want to try and save some costs, having a shower screen rather than a door can be more cost-effective if you have space.
    Tiling floor to drain compared to low profile tray were similar costs.
    OIP.E_63ZSrQxM0-bMZ0n3YUxgHaJ3?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Got bathroom gutted 3 bed semi d, new everything, big walk in shower, sink, toilet, radiator, tiles, fan, labour almost €5,000. Went to bathroom shop in Limerick, they supplied & delivered everything plumber/handyman, electrician and tiler and took away all rubbish. Took 5 days.

Didn't get the expensive mirror, expensive bathroom accessories. That would have been around another €1,000.

That's a couple of years ago now in limerick, shop around.

I ordered the led lighting mirrors from Amazon which worked out at about 20% of what they were in Limerick stores. I needed 3 at the time, so it was a massive saving. Not sure how that would work now, with Brexit restrictions.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Plumber 2000 rather than 200 I would think?

He's a neighbour but all he has to do is fit units/ hook everything up. it'll take him half a day maximum. All services are already installed apart from hooking up the waste. To do all the services previously it only took half a day and that was with Kangoing out the floor for the waste pipes and bringing water supply through the attic for the shower.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    You also need to add:
    Grout
    Adhesive
    Trims (if needed)
    Levelling compound(if needed)
    Tanking system for Shower.
    Agree with another poster that the Plumber would probably be dearer too.

If you want to try and save some costs, having a shower screen rather than a door can be more cost-effective if you have space.
    Tiling floor to drain compared to low profile tray were similar costs.
    OIP.E_63ZSrQxM0-bMZ0n3YUxgHaJ3?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Tiler has included all the above in his price. Don't need tanking as i'm putting in a shower tray. True the plumber cost could double if some of the work wasn't already done. But for my house its a half days work max. I did all the prep work myself in half a day. including wall chases and floor prep for waste pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say look for recommendations, we got en-suite done. Went into a local bathroom shop and without asking for any details he said 7-9 k. Rang a builder I know and he gave me the bathroom guy he uses number and the job cost 4.5k. Including tiles, new shower, tray, sink & vanity unit, toilet and rad. Now I did strip out the old bathroom but he replaced all the plasterboard. He also put in a pvc ceiling we wanted. I got him to leave all the rubbish outside my front door and I did a trip to the dump in the car to save getting a small skip.

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say look for recommendations, we got en-suite done. Went into a local bathroom shop and without asking for any details he said 7-9 k. Rang a builder I know and he gave me the bathroom guy he uses number and the job cost 4.5k. Including tiles, new shower, tray, sink & vanity unit, toilet and rad. Now I did strip out the old bathroom but he replaced all the plasterboard. He also put in a pvc ceiling we wanted. I got him to leave all the rubbish outside my front door and I did a trip to the dump in the car to save getting a small skip.

What bathroom shop did you get the quote from ?

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    What bathroom shop did you get the quote from ?

Not sure if I can name them. PM’d you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

salmocab wrote: »

People would be surprised how much easier this makes the whole job, how inexpensive it is and how important it is if there was any issues of dampness from the previous bathroom.

Same with the floor, if it's an upstairs bathroom a new sheet of plywood costs peanuts compared to the advantage's of replacing it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

People would be surprised how much easier this makes the whole job, how inexpensive it is and how important it is if there was any issues of dampness from the previous bathroom.

Same with the floor, if it's an upstairs bathroom a new sheet of plywood costs peanuts compared to the advantage's of replacing it.

Yeah I stripped off all the boards as most were getting damaged anyway taking off the old tiles and the rad and sink needed pipes moved along with the shower being replaced so it makes sense to strip off and do the whole place from new

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

We had ours done a few weeks ago, we had a builder doing a light reno of our upstairs and he provided demolition, tiling, carpentry and we subbed in the plumbing. All in all
    It was about 3.5k for materials and ware, and 4K labour. The labour was higher than we hoped or expected but the plumbing was old and dated, and lots of it was over the floorboards behind the bath screen and in boxing along the wall so we had the floor taken up, all the pipe work replaced and properly sunk under the floor, moved the sink slightly etc. All in for 7.5k the job looks immaculate now with no half measures taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got mine done last summer. Upstairs bathroom, standard size council house type, nothing fancy. Got a guy in and he did a fantastic job. Took out everything, bath sink and toilet. New shower tray, T90sr and sliding door, sink and unit, lit mirror and modern toilet, tiled from top to bottom and PVC ceiling with new centre light. €6400. He had to plumb and wire the shower as there was only a bath end gravity shower before that. Couldn't recommend him and his guys highly enough they were too class and very professional.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I got mine done last summer. Upstairs bathroom, standard size council house type, nothing fancy. Got a guy in and he did a fantastic job. Took out everything, bath sink and toilet. New shower tray, T90sr and sliding door, sink and unit, lit mirror and modern toilet, tiled from top to bottom and PVC ceiling with new centre light. €6400. He had to plumb and wire the shower as there was only a bath end gravity shower before that. Couldn't recommend him and his guys highly enough they were too class and very professional.

Can you send me on his details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

D3V!L wrote: »
    Can you send me on his details ?

He's based in castlebridge in Wexford, is that near you?

I sent you a link to his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I did my own downstairs en-suite last year.

Wet room, sub floor, drains, sanitary ware, plumbing, rad, tanking, under floor heating, tiling, the works basically.

It’s a lot of work so if you can get that done for about 5k then pay someone to do it. I might do it again if it was to cost upwards of that.

I’d advise everyone to do the tanking if you’re doing a full refurb. It’s well worth it. But insist on doing a water leak test if you are.

hesker wrote: »
    I did my own downstairs en-suite last year.

Wet room, sub floor, drains, sanitary ware, plumbing, rad, tanking, under floor heating, tiling, the works basically.

It’s a lot of work so if you can get that done for about 5k then pay someone to do it. I might do it again if it was to cost upwards of that.

I’d advise everyone to do the tanking if you’re doing a full refurb. It’s well worth it. But insist on doing a water leak test if you are.

Advise them to pull up the floor boards and re-enforce the joists as you did is sounder advice . Tanking won't solve a bending joist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Within the past 12 months, I've gotten bathroom quotes from 10- 12k. My bathroom is under 10m2. For labur all charged 3.5k , 1.5k in extra and materials rest.

Pricey

Advertisement