Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Inisimulations are going to convert our Kerry and Shannon for MSFS. :)

ini.png

That's great news! Ireland is going to be very well covered between those and MK Studios Dublin & Cork as well as the official world update for UK & Ireland.

MSFS isn't yet ready for IFR as there are no study level addon aircraft yet but it's truly incredible for general aviation in virtual reality. I bought an Oculus Quest 2 and it really is something else in MSFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

John_Mc wrote: »
    That's great news! Ireland is going to be very well covered between those and MK Studios Dublin & Cork as well as the official world update for UK & Ireland.

MSFS isn't yet ready for IFR as there are no study level addon aircraft yet but it's truly incredible for general aviation in virtual reality. I bought an Oculus Quest 2 and it really is something else in MSFS

What hardware are you running? Just curious on the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Absolutely cant wait for these on FS!

tony1980 wrote: »
    What hardware are you running? Just curious on the performance.

An i7 8700k overclocked from 4.3 to 4.9 GHZ, RTX 2080 Super, 32GB Ram (3200mhz) and a few SSD drives.

VR graphics settings are pretty high and it looks & performs great in GA aircraft. Not performing well at all in 787 and A320 but haven't tried tweaking for those yet.

An i7 8700k overclocked from 4.3 to 4.9 GHZ, RTX 2080 Super, 32GB Ram (3200mhz) and a few SSD drives.

VR graphics settings are pretty high and it looks & performs great in GA aircraft. Not performing well at all in 787 and A320 but haven't tried tweaking for those yet.

Exact same as bar 2070 Super

• Advertisement

Exact same as bar 2070 Super

I've tried a few times but but can't seem to get 5GHZ out of the chip. I'd probably need to delid it and use a thermal paste. Can't be bothered for the minimal gains from 4.9 though. Was it the same for yourself?

I've tried a few times but but can't seem to get 5GHZ out of the chip. I'd probably need to delid it and use a thermal paste. Can't be bothered for the minimal gains from 4.9 though. Was it the same for yourself?

John/Jim/James I haven't a notion what you are on about :D I cant do stuff like that tweeking stuff. I can change out a HD or add a new one or partition a drive etc but thats about it.

I was given Thermal paste with the machine last year but i havent a clue what its for, actually i thought it was for the cooling system. Maybe i should be more maintenance minded:confused:

John/Jim/James I haven't a notion what you are on about :D I cant do stuff like that tweeking stuff. I can change out a HD or add a new one or partition a drive etc but thats about it.

I was given Thermal paste with the machine last year but i havent a clue what its for, actually i thought it was for the cooling system. Maybe i should be more maintenance minded:confused:

If you have a "k" in the model of your Intel CPU then it is easy to adjust the CPU to run at a higher speed than what it does out of the box. There are loads of websites that tell you how to do this and it's worthwhile looking into it as you're getting more value for your hardware and CPU is very important for Flightsim. It's really just a matter of methodically adjusting the settings in the CPU and then running stress tests (100% load on CPU) to ensure it is stable and the temperatures remain ok.

The main issue with increasing the speed is that the heat generated by the CPU increases so you need to have a good cooling solution to get good gains. I have a water cooled CPU which does the job but CPU temps start exceeding 80 degrees under stress test which is the limit according to most, so I've stopped at 4.9 from 4.3.

There is a thing known as the "silicon lottery" where each CPU will behave differently and some will be able to get really good gains without increasing the voltage (and therefore extra heat) whereas others won't get any real gains at all despite everything being equal in terms of hardware. It's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For all you knowledgeable folk on here that play this on a regular basis can you help me with something driving me insane.

I had this game on Xbox PC pass for a few mnths but I did not want to keep paying for the pass as its the only game I really wanted so I bought the Deluxe Version of the Game on Steam.

My problem is not matter what jumbo jet I fly [have not tried other planes] or the location I pick the plane goes arseway as soon as I hit the Auto Pilot or any of the Navigation aids to fly the flight plan. Auto pilot never works....EVER.

As soon as I take off and get to a decent height and stable the plane, engage auto pilot to fly the flight plan the plane instantly starts banking to the left or right and just circles in a loop!!! Its incredibly frustrating and making the game a chore to play. If its a bug fair enough but if its something simple I am doing I am desperate to stop it as the game is unplayable at the minute for me.

It never did this before, but I have not played it since I deleted the XBOX version a few weeks ago so updates have come out.

I have watched about 10 different Youtube vids on each plane and they never have a problem with anything.

Anyone got any ideas......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Wonda-boy, mine does the exact same! I am 100% setting everything up correctly, and when I engage autopilot it does exactly what yours does and flies in a continuous steep right bank and eventually into the ground.

This was before Christmas, and thinking that it would have been fixed by now I tried again last week and it did the same thing. Have more or less given up on it until proper payware aircraft is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Default airliners are a joke but the Airbus at least is saved by the Fly-By-Wire A32nx mod. It restores a lot of inop functions and fixes a lot of bugs. There's a stable and experimental versions of the mod. The experimental has it's own custom fly by wire system so it behaves as a real Airbus and there's a new autopilot in development.
    The modders have also started to add an efb iPad. It can also directly import flightplans from SimBrief.
    I think there's a mod called Salty's for the 747 which also helps but isn't as far along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Adyx wrote: »
    Default airliners are a joke but the Airbus at least is saved by the Fly-By-Wire A32nx mod. It restores a lot of inop functions and fixes a lot of bugs. There's a stable and experimental versions of the mod. The experimental has it's own custom fly by wire system so it behaves as a real Airbus and there's a new autopilot in development.
    The modders have also started to add an efb iPad. It can also directly import flightplans from SimBrief.
    I think there's a mod called Salty's for the 747 which also helps but isn't as far along.

That's the thing, it also happens to me on the Flybywire 320. It must be the controller overriding autopilot or something.

Hmm, strange. I did have the TBM do that once during the week but haven't had any issues in the Airbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Managed a full flight last night by doing the VOR and manually selecting the way points in the MDU...btw anyone that has not downloaded the free liveries is mad.

They are excellent.

Ciano35 wrote: »
    That's the thing, it also happens to me on the Flybywire 320. It must be the controller overriding autopilot or something.

Was reading through the fbw Discord last night and apparently increasing the roll deadzone can help with this. I'm still having issues with it not following waypoints though, especially STARs, even with an updated Navigraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Pressing SEC 2 and 3 above the copilot works for me.

New World Update is available. 21.9GB. Downloading very slow for me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

tony1980 wrote: »
    New World Update is available. 21.9GB. Downloading very slow for me for some reason

It's downloading at 10-15 Mbps for me :( My internet speed on my PC is 300-400 Mbps.

EDIT: turns out my connection is only around 30 Mbps at the moment!

I'm just glad it's downloading at all. I had the Microsoft Store/Game Pass version first and the only way I could download the updates was to throttle the download to 2/2.5 Mbps. Bought it on Steam instead and have had no problems since.

Still downloading here :pac:

• Advertisement

i took out the ethernet cable to hardwire down the stairs and i was getting 900mb/s! Then i started downloading and the servers were so overloaded it was going at 15 mb/s! it did go up to 60 but it took 3 hours in the end.

Some Ireland "update". About 5 new points of interest including this.
    544009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Some Ireland "update". About 5 new points of interest including this.
    544009.jpg

thats pretty poor considering it got a mention in their promo video...

Looks a lot better in the official screenshot with the left cropped out. Still going to try fly under it though. :pac:
    602bf76d306a284bf56673f9_q5TDdN00GAnJooxjStEVzOVS4gBmLlSyLboADudGTyG2KScr_uIc-L4GYBLcV13oPq5w-HrD-evA8t2x0ilG2ZUZ0ZEP5gcs8_5LCAkgnzDn-gl1DDn_SX7rDG-ABjtD4EnMh_Bt.png

I just completed Menorca - Ibiza and then Waterford - Kerry, both sunset flights. Its an absolute joy in the C172.

Does anyone have the C182? Just wondering what its like to fly compared to the 172.

Lots of people flying around Waterford tonight!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive tried a few 3rd party software offerings like onair etc but none really kept me interested but this one looks impressive.
    Anyone use it?

Looks a lot better in the official screenshot with the left cropped out. Still going to try fly under it though. :pac:
    Snip

You can't fly under the bridge. :pac:

I installed this free addon the other night for Dublin City: https://flightsim.to/file/5635/dublin-city-eire

It's absolutely incredible to fly above the city and recognise all the buildings and streets. Highly recommended and a great price too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The freeware Heli got another update, much more flyable now, requires mapping the propeller axis and using that as your collective, I've found if you don't have a spare axis to map as the throttle, map a button for throttle to 70% works well

Advertisement