Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Bryan McDonald (RT) is quite something. It's good that Eamon has him on but it needs a good dollop of a health warning as it could melt your marbles and you could become like Bryan himself.
    Éamon needs to tackle him on detail, Bryan wants to only use broad brush strokes and to use Western thinking to understand Russian actions.

Éamon isn't across this brief enough to dig into this journos point of view, and indeed Bryan always appears to me to be giving his point of view rather than a critical journalistic analysis of the situation.

How Bryan can't get over the notion Putin attempted to kill Nevalny with a severely restricted military grade poison even when it was admitted to Nevalny by an FSB agent that they put it in his pants is fairly off the wall.

Éamon needs to do the journalistic work that Bryan ignores in order to present a more balanced and realistic view of events in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

How did this guy and the guy who Ken Early interviewed end up being Russian propagandists? Seems like a strange career arc.. Do they employ people from all over the world to spread the message back to their countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Still Ill wrote: »
    How did this guy and the guy who Ken Early interviewed end up being Russian propagandists? Seems like a strange career arc.. Do they employ people from all over the world to spread the message back to their countries?

The lad who played the viper on hardibucks used to work for RT. The have a whole English language division with yanks and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just listening to the start of the Bitcoin podcast. Eamon mentions a mate who was telling him about Bitcoin 18 months ago. Eamo thought he was a crank, but the guy has gone on to make a few hundred grand off it!

Guess that explains why Chippy Brady hasn't been on the pod:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The lad who played the viper on hardibucks used to work for RT. The have a whole English language division with yanks and everything.

Stan Collymore used to also. No mention of it on his Wikipedia page but some of the episodes are available on the RT website.

• Advertisement

Stan Collymore used to also. No mention of it on his Wikipedia page but some of the episodes are available on the RT website.

Didn’t Stan Collymore beat his wife !

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Didn’t Stan Collymore beat his wife !

No, he gave his ex a bit of a slap 23 years ago, while he was going through a meltdown.

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    No, he gave his ex a bit of a slap 23 years ago, while he was going through a meltdown.

Still a wife beater !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

mcgucc22 wrote: »

Ah, it was more than a slap. He punched Ulrika Johnson to the ground and started kicking her.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah, it was more than a slap. He punched Ulrika Johnson to the ground and started kicking her.

and didn't he also mention in his book that he had an affair with the manager's daughter. Jason McAteer said he was out of order for that, I agree.

• Advertisement

Still a wife beater !

He’d need to be have been married to her to be a wife beater.

Tomaldo wrote: »
    and didn't he also mention in his book that he had an affair with the manager's daughter. Jason McAteer said he was out of order for that, I agree.

Roy Evans’ daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I honestly don't get the gripes with the Russian podcasts. Is it the modern culture of wanting to silence opposition viewpoints and live in echo chambers?

I believe he said he doesn't understand the logic of why Putin would have your man poisoned, rather than denying that that's what happened.

He certainly did engage in a bit of whataboutism, but I still think it's interesting to hear some of the Russian views, since we're usually exposed to the other side of the coin with only negative news on Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the gripes with the Russian podcasts. Is it the modern culture of wanting to silence opposition viewpoints and live in echo chambers?

I believe he said he doesn't understand the logic of why Putin would have your man poisoned, rather than denying that that's what happened.

He certainly did engage in a bit of whataboutism, but I still think it's interesting to hear some of the Russian views, since we're usually exposed to the other side of the coin with only negative news on Russia.

There is a difference between Russian views and state propaganda.

There is a difference between Russian views and state propaganda.

The go to word when anything pro Russia/not anti-Russia is mentioned. It's like a reflex with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

humberklog wrote: »
    Bryan McDonald (RT) is quite something. It's good that Eamon has him on but it needs a good dollop of a health warning as it could melt your marbles and you could become like Bryan himself.
    Éamon needs to tackle him on detail, Bryan wants to only use broad brush strokes and to use Western thinking to understand Russian actions.

Éamon isn't across this brief enough to dig into this journos point of view, and indeed Bryan always appears to me to be giving his point of view rather than a critical journalistic analysis of the situation.

How Bryan can't get over the notion Putin attempted to kill Nevalny with a severely restricted military grade poison even when it was admitted to Nevalny by an FSB agent that they put it in his pants is fairly off the wall.

Éamon needs to do the journalistic work that Bryan ignores in order to present a more balanced and realistic view of events in Russia.

The most important thing to remember is precisely that Bryan McDonald works for Russia Today, Russia state propaganda. You dont bite the hand that feeds you and certainly not in Russia. However it is remiss of Eamon Dunphy not to question and challenge him more. But then again this is The Stand and Eamon's all about showbiz baby.

Bryan McDonald is just a lite version of Brendan East India Company O Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liz Cheyney is a respectably conservative.

What is the republican party going to look like if all these respectable conservatives leave?

Verdict : Must do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Liz Cheyney is a respectably conservative.

What is the republican party going to look like if all these respectable conservatives leave?

Verdict : Must do better.

I only listen to the Niall Stanage ones but they’re getting very repetitive. Stanage himself is always excellent and delivers information in a really concise and illuminating way, but Dunphy’s long rambling questions are more irritating when they’re the same long rambling questions he asked in the last podcast with NS. And the one before that.

How about a show about the influence of the Israel lobby on US politics and foreign policy.

Democrats are back in power and last week US military were involved in air strikes against what they are calling "Iranian backed militia"

Robert Fisk talked about it but that was 2 years ago. What does Stanage think?

• Advertisement

I only listen to the Niall Stanage ones but they’re getting very repetitive. Stanage himself is always excellent and delivers information in a really concise and illuminating way, but Dunphy’s long rambling questions are more irritating when they’re the same long rambling questions he asked in the last podcast with NS. And the one before that.

All the guests are getting repetitive. Well, Eamon is getting repetitive with what he says to the guests. You are guaranteed he will bring up women getting a tattoo of Anders Tegnell with Phil O’Connor every time he is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamon has settled in to one of his very repetitive ruts of repeating guests. It's a steady rotation of Zero Coviders (two on within a couple days of each other last week), Stanage, Chris Johns and his football pod. With occasional Jim Power, Phillip O'Connor and Naomi O'Leary. Actually made a change to see Bertie on today but I'll probably delete that one anyway.

I get the impression that most if not all guests are appearing for free and as such Dunphy doesn't really question their views in any insightful way at all lest he offend in any way and quite the opposite has to throw in the "one of the best journalists/ economists/etc" buttering up or similar every time.

it's grand but the limitations are obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

The US and Swedish episodes are going to become a lot duller for different reasons. Awful and all as Trump was, he was never boring and there was always something new for Niall Stanage to talk about. For now, that's gone. There isn't a lot more to be said about the Swedish experiment either, especially if the Covid vaccines work and cases fall off a cliff. Brexit will continue to be a sh*tshow, drug gangs will continue to be murderous scrotes and Putin will continue to be Putin. Eamon could surprise us yet by unearthing new contributors. I get the impression it's a small, low-budget operation though so I don't expect anything too drastic from this. I don't listen to all the episodes but I enjoy most of the ones I listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Not too pleased seeing and hearing Bertie Ahern having crawled out from under his rock in the last 18 months. He has become a frequent contributor on radio shows on all sorts of current affairs. He has recently been involved in some FF branch meetings. This man is a crook and a liar who brought the country to its knees. How he is being allowed to be back on the airwaves assisted by obvious FF supporters in powerful media positions is sickening, it doesn’t matter a toss what involvement or knowledge he has on the GFA, there are plenty of other decent honest people who are just as qualified to comment on the situation in the north. Won’t be listening to the stand anymore.

Mark Tighe is not in favour of censorship, but.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

Mark Tighe is not in favour of censorship, but.......:rolleyes:

I don't think his position is all that unusual or unreasonable. When you have people like those ladies, who genuinely believe that RTE presenters are harvesting dead babies and that we need saving from the reptilians, questions should be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't mind Naomi O'Leary but I always feel like I'm listening to a PR spokesperson for the EU when she's on. Maybe that's where she will end up eventually.

Not too pleased seeing and hearing Bertie Ahern having crawled out from under his rock in the last 18 months. He has become a frequent contributor on radio shows on all sorts of current affairs. He has recently been involved in some FF branch meetings. This man is a crook and a liar who brought the country to its knees. How he is being allowed to be back on the airwaves assisted by obvious FF supporters in powerful media positions is sickening, it doesn’t matter a toss what involvement or knowledge he has on the GFA, there are plenty of other decent honest people who are just as qualified to comment on the situation in the north. Won’t be listening to the stand anymore.

this post is hilarious. you can actually see the reasoning progress to a fit of rage as it goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Brace yourself...this World Cup bid is going to bring Bertie to the fore for all the chat shows

Advertisement