Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying frames

Options
  • 12-02-2021 12:02pm

Hi, I'm not sure where to ask this question, but I have a Size: (43x100cm) 17x39 inches poster and I'd like to buy a frame for it. Googling around hasn't helped much. Do you have any recommendations? I've tried a bunch of online frame shops, but I can't find this size frame.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you would usually purchase a frame bigger than the print and center the print on the frame. rarely would a frame match a print size

you would usually purchase a frame bigger than the print and center the print on the frame. rarely would a frame match a print size

Oh ok, I didn't know that. Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Is you're framing yourself, yes you usually have to buy frames that aren't the same size as your print.
    Ideally the balance of the frame is filled up with a custom cut mat, of an appropriate color and texture to suit the picture.
    If you go to a custom framer, they can make frames to size etc..

Be careful of cheap frames. The glass should protect against UV to prevent fading, and any mat should be made of materials designed not to leach the color out of the image where it touches.

Mats are most important when framing images that are on glossy paper. Ghost paper is extremely smooth. Glass is porous. Over time a vacuum seal will form between a glossy image and glass it directly touches... so taking the image out of the frame will damage or destroy it. Matte or "pearl" (usually glossy with bumps to prevent a vacuum) type finishes shouldn't stick to glass. (although if they get wet while in the frame, and then dry still in the frame... they can)

I hope you find something suitable.

Heebie wrote: »
    Is you're framing yourself, yes you usually have to buy frames that aren't the same size as your print.
    Ideally the balance of the frame is filled up with a custom cut mat, of an appropriate color and texture to suit the picture.
    If you go to a custom framer, they can make frames to size etc..

Be careful of cheap frames. The goal should protect against UV to prevent fading, and any mat should be made of materials designed not to leach the color out of the image where it touches.

Mats are most important when framing images that are on glossy paper. Ghost paper is extremely smooth. Glass is porous. Over time a vacuum seal will form between a glossy image and glass it directly touches... so taking the image out of the frame will damage or destroy it. Matte or "pearl" (usually glossy with bumps to prevent a vacuum) type finishes shouldn't stick to glass. (although if they get wet while in the frame, and then dry still in the frame... they can)

I hope you find something suitable.

I might seek out a framer then, I don't mind spending money for a good result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 teamcyclist

I find Art & Frame here in Cork very helpful. Worth dropping a line or phoning maybe? They are on the Model Farm Road

I find Art & Frame here in Cork very helpful. Worth dropping a line or phoning maybe? They are on the Model Farm Road

I'm in Dublin, thanks for the tip though.

Advertisement