Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place to buy couch

• 27-12-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

any advice on where to get a good couch for good value - east coast - wicklow/dublin? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You haven’t given us a lot to go on - what’s your budget, preferred style etc?

We recently bought from Finline furniture and we’re very pleased with the sofa. Beautifully made, great quality materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

EZLiving Furniture.

When I got my house, I got everything from them. House move in was delayed by 2+ months, they held all my furniture for me, and kept the sale prices as I had only paid a deposit.

Roll on 2 years, and the leather couch started to fade in one small area. Rang customer care, sent them a photograph, and they called the next day to say sorry, go back to the shop and choose another suite. No messing, no arguments, just excellent customer service. The new suite was €300 more. The guy I bought from originally made a quick call to the head office, and it only cost me an extra €30 for the new suite.

Overall, my experience in dealing with them was excellent. Cannot recommend them enough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I got mine in Flanagan Kerins before the Mount Merrion shop closed. The Bray store is still going strong though and they’re supposed to be opening a new branch somewhere in South Dublin soon so there might be offers coming up.

Very pleased with my sofa- custom made, very stylish and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Finline have a good reputation and their 3 day annual sale begins on Fri 4th Jan in Co.Laois only. Unlike some other furniture shops it is a genuine sale. I was at it a couple of years back, expect crowds and queues and some really good deals on ex-display sofas.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭eeinke

Finline are upmarket for me, too expensive. But they are beautiful. Price range for 3 seater - up to 1K only. Looking in EZ Living, Harvey N, DFS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

We had a 2 seater made by Fitzpatricks in Navan almost 2 years ago. Made to order and cost WAY less than all of the above mentioned shops.
    Recommend them highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Check out bigmickey.ie

They have some good deals on for furniture.

We had a 2 seater made by Fitzpatricks in Navan almost 2 years ago. Made to order and cost WAY less than all of the above mentioned shops.
    Recommend them highly.

Can you tell us the saving/comparison to likes of DFS, EZ Living, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've done a tour of a lot of them that last few weeks.
    Navan is worth a trip, as is Michael Murphy in Newbridge.
    The cheap ones in DFS and EZ living are cheap for a reason, cushions aren't fully upholstered,(take a seat cushion up and flip it over) and a lack of padding on arms etc. The dearer ones in these shops are nice, but similar prices to the other shops.
    We went with Finline,a great selection, showroom on the Longmile Road, 3 plus 2 corner sofa in the size, design and fabric we want for 2k in the sale. Slightly dearer than Michael Murphy, but we were tight for size in one area, so restricted with what we could go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Do Finline do leather sofas and what's their selection like if so, any pictures I've seen of their produce has all been fabric sofas.

Had my eye on a nice leather electric recliner in DFS but it was nearly €2k for the 3 seater alone in their so called sale. Same thing in their Belfast store was nearly 15% cheaper, remarkable difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

https://www.finlinefurniture.ie/product/louis-sofa-leather-option/
    Do Finline do leather sofas and what's their selection like if so, any pictures I've seen of their produce has all been fabric sofas.

Their website is very good, in the store they have two prices on the sale.
    Lower price is for their lower spec fabric
    Higher price is for the higher spec fabric.(approx. €200 in the difference for us) You can supply your own fabric if you wish, they'll give you the quantity needed, but there's no obvious savings to be made.

Any info on what sofa shops are available up north? I know they have DFS and all the other main ones but does anyone know of the more higher end options like Finline down here?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can you tell us the saving/comparison to likes of DFS, EZ Living, etc

I would say in excess of 1/3...... though it's not really possible to compare like for like when you get a custom build.
    The closest we saw to our taste was €1600 in the 1933 furniture company, yet we paid €800 for the custom build, so that might give you an idea.

I would say in excess of 1/3...... though it's not really possible to compare like for like when you get a custom build.
    The closest we saw to our taste was €1600 in the 1933 furniture company, yet we paid €800 for the custom build, so that might give you an idea.

How does it work, if it's custom made? Are there sofas you can sit in, etc. before buying and they copy the style of them for you?

I often see sofas i like the look of in HN, Ikea, DFS, etc. and when I sit on them find that only a few are actually comfortable. Some have you sitting on a practically rock hard surface, others you feel like you're sitting on the floor, etc. so I'd always like to actually sit in a sofa before buying it.

Is this an option with Fitzpatricks, or are you just picking a 'style'/'look' and hoping for the best?

(Would like a new sofa in a few months, for the sitting room, and had never considered this option as I presumed it'd be mental money.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Hi,

Spend a day going around places with the folks a year ago in Carrickmines etc

DFS are a joke

Ended up getting our original Navan sofa re upholstered as the build quality was sound and style classic and nothing compared to the quality.

As someone else said earlier the town is worth a visit

Here is just one of the many furniture places there

https://www.sofasogood.ie

Massively unlikely longshot, but can anyone list the furniture/sofa stores in Navan?

I am forever hearing about how navan is practically the sofa capital of Ireland, but I pass through it a handful of times (admittedly, usually just passing through) and i don't see furniture particularly being a big thing there for some reason? I'm obviously in the wrong areas or not seeing it, but other than radio ads for the 1933 Furniture Company (who I'm lead to believe are pricey enough?) I wouldn't know where to start looking, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Massively unlikely longshot, but can anyone list the furniture/sofa stores in Navan?

I am forever hearing about how navan is practically the sofa capital of Ireland, but I pass through it a handful of times (admittedly, usually just passing through) and i don't see furniture particularly being a big thing there for some reason? I'm obviously in the wrong areas or not seeing it, but other than radio ads for the 1933 Furniture Company (who I'm lead to believe are pricey enough?) I wouldn't know where to start looking, to be honest.

Bwtter still get a map of them all.
    Consider looking at their www to narrow it down
    I’d imagine Jan is a good time to be looking ...

Just google navan and furniture

I’d imagine some are factory shops. A lot of the furniture in the shops around dublin / ireland will be sourced there.

Save your self a day and don’t go to carrickmines DFS etc
    Way over the top prices and poor quality IMHO

https://www.google.com/search?q=furniture+navan&rlz=1CDGOYI_enIE760IE760&oq=furniture+navan&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.7501j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:mlt

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

A lot of the navan shops are in the industrial estate where 1933 are also based Beechmount Homepark, Navan
    Also finline furniture based in emo but with a shop 8n cork and long mile road also recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got an L shaped couch in navan sofa factory a few years ago, excellent quality and great price at e750. Anything in harvey normans was double it

How does it work, if it's custom made? Are there sofas you can sit in, etc. before buying and they copy the style of them for you?

I often see sofas i like the look of in HN, Ikea, DFS, etc. and when I sit on them find that only a few are actually comfortable. Some have you sitting on a practically rock hard surface, others you feel like you're sitting on the floor, etc. so I'd always like to actually sit in a sofa before buying it.

Is this an option with Fitzpatricks, or are you just picking a 'style'/'look' and hoping for the best?

(Would like a new sofa in a few months, for the sitting room, and had never considered this option as I presumed it'd be mental money.)

Sorry for slow response......to answer your question, the process was quite simple, sat on one for comfort, size of another, arm style from another, heights depths etc based on ones we sat on and then choose a fabric from a swatch. All in for the 2 seater delivered to Dublin 15 was €800 (2 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Im redoing my house downstairs. The one thing that does not need to be changed are the sofas, a 3 and 2 seater.

I bought them from Reid furniture, no longer with us, but the Brand Violino is still here stocked by Diamond Furniture and probably ithers. Funny they still have my suite(its still very current as they are more classic designs) I cant recall what i paid, but it more than the likes of DFS, but i dont recall it being that much more.

Id buy Natuzzi or Violino in leather and Finline for fabric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RachelQEZ

Checkout Pinterest or Instagram for ideas, I see lots of lovely ones on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Apologies for resurrecting the thread but has anyone had any experiences with slf24.ie? I'm looking to at corner sofa from them. Good reviews on trustpilot but a lot of the reviews are from suspicious 1 post accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

Facebook Market

Advertisement