Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 :Round 17 Abu Dhabi

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Abu Dhabi is awful, made even worse by being the season finale. Money talks I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Abu Dhabi is awful, made even worse by being the season finale. Money talks I guess.

They should replace it with a classic like Interlagos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

What a snore festival. Never been more happy to fast forward

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I found it an enjoyable race. The performance of Verstappen was remarkable. Not enough emphasis was placed on that during the Sky commentary, instead it was mostly about what was causing Mercedes woes. Simple - they were just trounced. The result bodes well for next season. If Red Bull continues to improve and Ferrari recovers It should be a closer run race. Lewis will not be a nailed on certainty for number eight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

chicorytip wrote: »
    I found it an enjoyable race. The performance of Verstappen was remarkable. Not enough emphasis was placed on that during the Sky commentary, instead it was mostly about what was causing Mercedes woes. Simple - they were just trounced. The result bodes well for next season. If Red Bull continues to improve and Ferrari recovers It should be a closer run race. Lewis will not be a nailed on certainty for number eight.

I don't think we saw the real Merc today. They were nursing the MGU-K so that must have had some effect. Whatever the reason, it was nice to see a slight shuffle at the top.

Stroll didn't do himself (or the team) and favours. A few key mistakes cost him a couple of places and the chance to nick some points. In the end they ended up 7 points behind McLaren. If he had caught Ricciardo they would have been level. How would it be decided then?

Interesting looking at the individual fastest laps today. Bottas' was 3 tenths and Albon's 2 tenths faster than Hamilton's. Giovinazzi and Fittipaldi faster than the likes of Leclerc, McLarens, Gasly, Ocon.

Russell's was the slowest, 0.9 s behind Latifi and 2.4 behind Ricciardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

... In the end they ended up 7 points behind McLaren. If he had caught Ricciardo they would have been level. How would it be decided then?

Probably decided on highest individual finish or most race wins so RP would have come out ahead

Awful race. Once the SC came out the race was going to be dead.
    Depressing that Merc wouldn't take a shot with Hamilton with 15 seconds left and have a go on a new set of tyres.
    Bunch of lads tipping around 6 seconds a lap off their fastest times, dire stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was the most boring race of the year but delighted for Max and for McLaren getting third even do I would have preferred if it was Renault 3rd. Roll on next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sky commentary, instead it was mostly about what was causing Mercedes woes. Simple - they were just trounced. The result bodes well for next season. If Red Bull continues to improve and Ferrari recovers It should be a closer run race. Lewis will not be a nailed on certainty for number eight.

Merc stopped major development on the 2020 car ages ago with the major focus being on the 2021 car with the incumbent rule changes. This explains why Red Bull have got closer towards the end of the season, but does not bode well for their chances next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Inquitus wrote: »
    Merc stopped major development on the 2020 car ages ago with the major focus being on the 2021 car with the incumbent rule changes. This explains why Red Bull have got closer towards the end of the season, but does not bode well for their chances next season.

Why would have red bull continued to develop for 2020? Catching Mercedes is out and no danger from the back. Ferrari thought their issues will be fixed with the v2021 engine, no need to waste time to get third in wdc as they can stomach that financial

• Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Harika wrote: »
    Why would have red bull continued to develop for 2020? Catching Mercedes is out and no danger from the back. Ferrari thought their issues will be fixed with the v2021 engine, no need to waste time to get third in wdc as they can stomach that financial

I don’t know what red bull did but hey are usually slow starters to the season. It takes them longer to get the far to work for them so they tend to improve as the season goes on. It would be great if they could hit the ground running in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Killinator

Max complaining about tyres while he drives off into the sunset and nobody cares, the kind of thing a certain other driver does and gets ripped apart for, strange.

That was an awful season ender with an overly powerful DRS being the only reason anybody passed anybody.....well except Stroll running wide, but that's becoming common for him when under pressure.

Kravitz said that Merc's tuning down the engine to protect the MGU-K was only a loss of around one tenth per lap, so it still doesn't explain why they were so far off the Red Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Kravitz said that Merc's tuning down the engine to protect the MGU-K was only a loss of around one tenth per lap, so it still doesn't explain why they were so far off the Red Bulls.
    Lewis not 100% after covid, and Bottas was .... Bottas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Polar101

I found it an enjoyable race. The performance of Verstappen was remarkable. Not enough emphasis was placed on that during the Sky commentary, instead it was mostly about what was causing Mercedes woes.

Yeah, Verstappen's performance was just about the only interesting thing in the race. Absolutely nothing happened (aside from the Perez breakdown and that thing where someone was a bit slow in the pit lane), but at least it wasn't the usual 1) Hamilton 2) Bottas.

Ok, it was 2) Bottas, but..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Killinator wrote: »
    Max complaining about tyres while he drives off into the sunset and nobody cares, the kind of thing a certain other driver does and gets ripped apart for, strange.

Believe me, if Max did this at almost every race people would get fed up with him too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I found it an enjoyable race.

Compared to what? Watching paint dry? :D
    The performance of Verstappen was remarkable. Not enough emphasis was placed on that during the Sky commentary, instead it was mostly about what was causing Mercedes woes.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

There have been some stinkers over the years but that was right up there. Even the commentators were audibly bored and didn't bother to feign interest or excitement.

Overall it was an enjoyable season with some excellent races and tracks, which we will hopefully see more of in the coming years.

Credit to everyone involved. It's a serious achievement to put together a 17 race season under the current circumstances and the amount of time and sacrifices that crew members etc have made should not go unnoticed.

96 days until we go again in Australia! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Inquitus wrote: »

Red Bull is developing the 2021 car. Max drove the 2021 floor in fp1 the last weekend plus this years car is 60% next years car so you could develop next years car this year

I would take Mercedes remark with more than a grain of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,298 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BrentMused wrote: »
    There have been some stinkers over the years but that was right up there. Even the commentators were audibly bored and didn't bother to feign interest or excitement.

Overall it was an enjoyable season with some excellent races and tracks, which we will hopefully see more of in the coming years.

Credit to everyone involved. It's a serious achievement to put together a 17 race season under the current circumstances and the amount of time and sacrifices that crew members etc have made should not go unnoticed.

96 days until we go again in Australia! :D

I did enjoy the remark made "to be honest it's been over for 30 laps at this stage". Very unusual for that to go on air. Must have been allowed as the last race of the year.

Can't wait till next race only 3 months. I'm hoping against hope that they oust bottas and it's russell vs lewis v max v perez at the front next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Even the "official" F1 podcast, F1 Nation took the Mick out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭recyclebin

All teams only have two tokens for next year. Changing 40% of the car sounds like a lot.

Advertisement