Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Medicine at UCD

• 27-11-2019 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello I am Erika, I am new in this forum, I am from Italy and I would like to study in Ireland Veterinary medicine at UCD in Dublin.

I am studying remotely A levels and next year I can sit the exams of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

I was having a look on UCD's website and I found out that I am a mature student since I will be 23 next year, this involves that they do not offer a path to enter the course if you are 23+.

I wrote to them and asked for a clarification and they replied that, they do not offer a path for mature students but you can enter if you have leaving certificates or similar.

Now the question is, can I apply after I got my A levels or sit for leaving certificates in Ireland as a private, even if I will be 23?

It seems ridiculous that if you are 23+ you are denied to enter a course.

Sorry if it seems a stupid question but I know nothing about Irish school system and I found this forum while searching on google.

Also I would like to know where I can sit leaving certificates privately to then apply to the uni.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You can apply with A levels, entry requirements are found herein:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/ER_Alevel.html

DN300
    Veterinary Medicine
    (Undergraduate Entry)
    AC in Chemistry and
    OC/O4/AE in English, another language, Maths and 2 other recognised subjects and

at least 60 hours practical experience relevant to animal handling between
    1 February 2017 and 6 July 2019.
    Restrictions apply to applicants who have previously studied Veterinary Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

The mature student entry pathway is a different way to apply. It is also done through the CAO but different institutions might require also doing things directly with them, e.g. application form, entrance exam etc. This pathway looks more holistically at students and it differs per institution/course. But usually it involves getting in based on a life and work experience and you do things like personal statements, providing samples of work, and interviews. These days you usually also have to show involvement in education, or even having a certain grade standard in e.g. evening, access courses or further education and training, particularly for competitive courses. Or you might need certification to show you have a certain level of maths or a language etc. You have to be 23+ to be eligible to apply for that pathway.

Anyone can apply with solely based on leaving cert, A levels and other exams, regardless of age. Again, this is done through the CAO. You just put in your details and await the points race.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

DeeAvery wrote: »
    The mature student entry pathway is a different way to apply. It is also done through the CAO but different institutions might require also doing things directly with them, e.g. application form, entrance exam etc. This pathway looks more holistically at students and it differs per institution/course. But usually it involves getting in based on a life and work experience and you do things like personal statements, providing samples of work, and interviews. These days you usually also have to show involvement in education, or even having a certain grade standard in e.g. evening, access courses or further education and training, particularly for competitive courses. Or you might need certification to show you have a certain level of maths or a language etc. You have to be 23+ to be eligible to apply for that pathway.

Anyone can apply with solely based on leaving cert, A levels and other exams, regardless of age. Again, this is done through the CAO. You just put in your details and await the points race.

There is no mature entry for veterinary medicine. It is the only course in the country that has no mature entry route.

It’s either leaving cert or graduate fees at a cost of €16500 plus each year ! Horrendously expensive!

Advertisement