Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding insurance corona virus

• 06-03-2020 1:37pm

We're getting married in June and I want to take out wedding insurance for the possibility of the government banning mass gatherings (if possible). Most wedding insurance policies I have read don't inclue this. Does anyone have any suggestions? If this isn't possible, I would just get insurance to cover the hotel not being able to host and the band not turning up due to them not wanting to risk catching it.

I personally think we will all be grand by June, but I would pay for piece of mind!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Would a wedding count as a mass gathering? If they ban anything, I would've assumed it'll be large public gatherings such as matches, concerts etc. I highly doubt they'll be able to enforce a policy in relation to (relatively) small gatherings such as a wedding.

• woodchuck wrote: »
    Would a wedding count as a mass gathering? If they ban anything, I would've assumed it'll be large public gatherings such as matches, concerts etc. I highly doubt they'll be able to enforce a policy in relation to (relatively) small gatherings such as a wedding.

You're probably right. I'm beginning to think what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They were talking earlier in the week of banning mass gatherings, with more than 5000 people. Obviously they haven’t done that yet, but even if they do, the government won’t be able to force you to cancel a private function.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It'll be more likely you'll have late cancellations and no shows on the day. Which depending on your contact you might have to pay for. I think we confirmed numbers a couple of days before and then had a couple of no shows on the day itself. I remember sending meals to our photographer and videographer because we were paying for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've heard from a few sources that insurers are not going to cover Coronavirus related incidents on new policies. I think policies taken out before this all blew up (not sure of specific date) would be covered though. They're basically protecting themselves from a potential surge in claims due to the outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

jlm29 wrote: »
    They were talking earlier in the week of banning mass gatherings, with more than 5000 people. Obviously they haven’t done that yet, but even if they do, the government won’t be able to force you to cancel a private function.

They've banned weddings and funerals in Italy

La.m wrote: »
    They've banned weddings and funerals in Italy

Yeah that's really worrying :(

We got our wedding insurance months ago with weddinginsurance.ie. The T&Cs include "the booked venue for the Wedding or Wedding Reception being unable to hold Your Wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease".

I've heard rumours that they're updating their T&Cs so that new bookings won't be covered by the coronavirus, but I can't confirm that. I could see them getting around paying out though if you knew it was an issue when you took out the insurance.

But like, if the venue cancels your booking due to the virus, I think the onus on them is to give you your money back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't want to be getting married in the next 6 months, thats for sure.

I would be expecting an awful lot of "we are terribly sorry, we can't make it now, hope you have a great day" messages in the coming weeks and months.

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm getting married in 6 months and 1 week... I'll be grand sure :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

NIMAN wrote: »

Yep, that would be me. More worried about people wasting their money on travelling home for it and not getting reimbursed, and the more vulnerable people in my family being exposed to it. Mine is a very small wedding and the venue would be happy to reschedule so I don't think I'd lose out there.

The honeymoon is to a destination in Europe that so far have less cases than us. So hopefully it's unaffected. I've travel insurance and also wedding insurance so if they won't issue credit in the event of non-travel or interruption I might be able to claim some way. I think most suppliers are being reasonable from what I've heard from forums where weddings in Italy are cancelled - Irish people are saying that they've been told that they can hold all the arrangements until a later date, so that's reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cr-07

My wedding is to take place on the 27th of March in Galway with a crowd of about 140 people. I don't have wedding insurance and have been ringing around to see if I can get it but no luck as of yet. Do you think it will be cancelled or anything of that sort? Extremely worried I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

My wedding is May 2nd.
    We had already cancelled our honeymoon as it was a Mediterranean cruise.

Then on 1st March my Father passed away, one of his wishes was that the wedding went ahead as planned. I'm heartbroken, I can't believe he won't be walking me down the aisle and seeing his little girl marry a wonderful man who my dad loved so much.
    Now this virus is threatening the day, I'm at breaking point, I don't know how much more I can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

Wondering if anyone knows of any insurance companies other than blue insurance that covers weddings? Trying to get in before they all change their T&C's?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I don't think we should panic. I know I'm getting married in Aug and am confident if the worst happens and the venue lets us down due to the virus, they would at least reschedule and financially we would be ok. Otherwise I don't see the impact stopping those closest to us from going. You'll hear scaremongering from people who have no horse in the race, but those who care about you all will pull through and you'll have a great time.

I'm taking the virus very serious, but weddings will not be cancelled on mass.

Don't panic.

Shelli, very sorry to hear your story. I hope everything goes great and you have the day your Dad wished you to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Shelli2 wrote: »
    My wedding is May 2nd.
    We had already cancelled our honeymoon as it was a Mediterranean cruise.

Then on 1st March my Father passed away, one of his wishes was that the wedding went ahead as planned. I'm heartbroken, I can't believe he won't be walking me down the aisle and seeing his little girl marry a wonderful man who my dad loved so much.
    Now this virus is threatening the day, I'm at breaking point, I don't know how much more I can take.

I'm so, so sorry to hear about your dad.
    I hope you have the best day you possibly can, given the circumstances. Just remember, you're marrying your best friend and it doesn't matter where you get married and whether guests will make it or not due to the Coronavirus, it'll be such a special day for you both regardless.
    Mind yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If people seek cover because a claim is either imminent or the risk is hugely increased, it is known as 'selection against insurers '. Anyone who purchased the cover before it became widespread knowledge should be fine, anyone looking for it now is unlikely to secure it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

What are the chance of my wedding going ahead, Sat week 21 March ?
    Church then hotel - 200 guests.
    Seriously stressing ..will churches be told to close .. will gatherings of 200 be classed as too big. Instead of enjoying the lead up we are just worried sick. Will our guests come ? Should we even consider the worst possible scenario for us and cancel
    No insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't attend a church wedding and large reception on 21st March. We have a social occasion on that weekend and it will quite possibly be cancelled. Nothing to stop you getting married, which is the most important but of the day after all. But I could see a huge number of no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tbh, if you’ve no insurance, you can’t do anything anyhow. It’s s**t, but it is what it is. You just need to see what happens. A week Is a long long time at the moment.
    But it is true. Even if it’s just yourselves and close family in the church, you’ll be just as married at the end of the day.

None of us can predict the future unfortunately :( If I was you, I'd just wait and see for the moment. It absolutely sucks though. I've a friend getting married this weekend and she's fretting too. She booked days off for beauty treatments etc and just isn't enjoying any of it from the sounds of things.

IF you did have to cancel/reschedule, I wouldn't even be that worried about whether or not you have insurance. I would be highly surprised if the venue wouldn't be accommodating and let you move the celebrations to another date. From what I've been hearing through the grapevine, suppliers are actually being really decent about it all.

• Advertisement

• Thanks for all the replies. I tried in vain to get insurance to cover virus related incidents but no one seems to be doing it. Got insurance anyway to cover the other bits. I think all will have calmed by May, but I could see us having a much smaller wedding due to no shows.

Fingers crossed it will all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cr-07 wrote: »
    My wedding is to take place on the 27th of March in Galway with a crowd of about 140 people. I don't have wedding insurance and have been ringing around to see if I can get it but no luck as of yet. Do you think it will be cancelled or anything of that sort? Extremely worried I must say!

As per the latest news regarding school closures etc between this evening and 29th March "Indoor gatherings of 100 people and outdoor gatherings of 500 people should be cancelled" Perhaps the hotel will be obliged to offer anther date.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-crisis-wide-ranging-new-restrictions-for-ireland-1.4200881

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

cr-07 wrote: »

Based on Leo's speech this morning I think that you may have to at the very least reduce your numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭skallywag

I tried in vain to get insurance to cover virus related incidents but no one seems to be doing it.

I would imagine that even if you could find a company who normally offer this coverage, that they will currently not offer it to any new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

No point looking for insurance now, it won’t cover you for pre-existing issues/cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

LV insurance just announced in the uk they wont be selling any new travel insurance policies so i supect any event based insurance will go the same way quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

There is no way any insurance company is going to offer cover at this stage. Its far too likely to actually happen.

It doesnt make sense that a company would offer cover to new customers for something that they'd likely be expected to pay out on so soon.

It would be like having a heart attack and then trying to get a new health insurance policy - they are not going to cover you for heart issues (at least not straight away) because the reason you're looking for cover is because theres a big, obvious known risk.

You can't take out new cover for anything once the writing is already on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cr-07

Tried to get insurance yesterday but with no luck. Hotel hasn't contacted me yet, but I say they will soon. I am supposed to meet with the wedding coordinator from the hotel this Saturday, will have a look at our options then. 100% not going to reduce numbers, don't want to go telling people they can't come now. All well and good if the hotel give me a new date, but what about the videographer, photographer, band, DJ, cake guy, HSE etc.. Just feel like I have been nailed to the dryboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Not sure if this helps but I took out a policy on Sunday for our wedding in Spain. The very next day they emailed saying that from 5pm that day there would be no more cover for Covid19. I assume everyone with a policy before 5pm on Monday is covered for it and anything after that isn't. Luckily we got in just in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

woodchuck wrote: »
    I could see them getting around paying out though if you knew it was an issue when you took out the insurance.

We emailed them to clarify this and they said we would be covered.

They also emailed us the next day saying that any new policies aren't covered. That email alone is an admission that old policies are.

They may fight it, but what judge is going to rule in their favour? The entire world knew about the outbreak. We made it clear that that was the event we were getting insurance against and there was no circumstance that they weren't aware of when the insurance was taken out.

Advertisement