Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

7-2 with the 49ers away on sunday, big 5 weeks coming up winning 5 would be great espcially beating Green Bay but at least making the Playoffs quickly is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Seriously doubt we will get 5... 4 would be a push with Cutler (any word on him by the way?). We need to win at least 3 looking at the two v min and seattle, who aren't as impressive away from home. A win against either SF or GB would be a great boost and the GB game Should be a w at home But I also like us on Sunday at SF as well, that's just a gut feeling though, so we will prob loose one with min. We need to beat seattle for the wild card tie break.

But anyway back on point. 3 wins in our next 5 will put us on 10-4 with two very winnable games to finish schedule 12-4.... wild card. I think GB will also finish 12-4 but will beat us on tie the break. Really our season is in the same situation as last year? how long will cutler be out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah a lot of big games coming up. 49ers...potential NFC tie-breaker, Vikings...need to at least split those 2 games for the division, Seahawks...potential wildcard tie-breaker, and then Green Bay, having lost once to them, would be a must-win for the division title.

Would like to win them all, but the 3 home games (Vikings, Seahawks, Packers) are the big ones, @ Vikings would be a bonus. If Cutler is out this week, I don't think there's any real chance of beating the 49ers. Their run-defense is so good, it puts weaker QBs into really tough spots. The teams with weaker QBs they've totally crushed...e.g. 34-0 vs. Jets, 24-3 vs. Cardinals.

They shouldn't rush Cutler back though if he's not ready, when you look at those 5 games, I think the 49ers game is the least important (in the sense that the main priority is winning the division, and second priority would be securing the wild-card), and would also be very difficult to win even if Cutler was playing. If there's a doubt, they should keep him out, and get him right for the more important ones.
    gufc21 wrote: »
    how long will cutler be out for?

Don't think anything's been confirmed, hard to predict with the concussions. Some players like RG3 came back the following week, others missed one week. Don't think too many have missed more than one week though.

padraig_f wrote: »
    The teams with weaker QBs they've totally crushed...e.g. 34-0 vs. Jets, 24-3 vs. Cardinals.

They shouldn't rush Cutler back though if he's not ready, when you look at those 5 games, I think the 49ers game is the least important (in the sense that the main priority is winning the division, and second priority would be securing the wild-card), and would also be very difficult to win even if Cutler was playing. If there's a doubt, they should keep him out, and get him right for the more important ones.

I agree but don't see the 9ers getting anything like that with smith out. Kap is a decent enough player but he could be facing the best d# in the NFL, possibly ever. It will certainly be tight and I wonder will he have the wits to get them through. A loss for them should see Seattle who the title though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Kap is a decent enough player but he could be facing the best d# in the NFL, possibly ever.

I think you's have the best scoring D, but I don't think you's have the best D in the NFL not mind ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

it could a hilarious matchup this week with kaepernick vs jason campbell.

the stat lines for both qb's could be miserable. Kaepernick at least though is interesting to watch...

Next 2 games now masssive v Vikings and Seahawks , Will Cutler be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Badabing wrote: »
    Next 2 games now masssive v Vikings and Seahawks , Will Cutler be back?

He can't come back fast enough. I stayed up for this to watch it with my brother, a 49ers fan. It was horrible. The performance of the offense was fairly awful, and it couldn't be blamed entirely on the QB. He got no protection at all, all evening. The running game was utterly stifled. And the D? So much for best in the league. They haven't proven themselves against any top level team, and while the 9ers were brilliant, I couldn't watch beyond the 3rd quarter. Have the Bears flattered up to now? Are we now seeing the real nature of the team? Hopefully not, and hopefully next week a win will get the momentum back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Is it safe to say now Cutler is better than his stats would indicate?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Is it safe to say now Cutler is better than his stats would indicate?

The way the wheels come off the wagon when he's not around indicates that, for all the hard time he gets over his supposed attitude (and he can't win: one day he's criticised for not seeming to care - based on nothing but vague impressions about his body language- and if he gets mad about bad performances, he's accused of negativity and blah de blah), the team's mode of play is very dependent on him. If he isn't back this week I'd be very worried alright.

• Advertisement

Packers loss was massive on sun night. We need to beat Seattle this week but things are looking good with Cutler back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well that was fairly heartbreaking, Cutler did basically everything he could, horrible call to not take the 3 points in the 1st quarter, fairly poor defence for most of the game. Russell Wilson had his way with us.

Huge 4 game coming up, 3 divisional ties, no idea which way this will go.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Probably will still make the playoffs, if you are a believer in these kinds of stats.

I'm not such a believer. Certainly the division looks like it might be beyond us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good write up here. Kinda sums up the defence really.

I think disaster is overstating it, the Seahawks are a good team and Russell Wilson presents some different challenges. I thought the defense played well, with 57 mins gone, they'd held them to 10 points. It's up to the offense to put more than 14 on the board at home. When a team is using all 4 downs at the end of the game, they're hard to stop. The Broncos have a great defense, they gave up a big 4th quarter drive to the Bucs (but they won because they had a 15-point lead). 49ers gave up a 4th quarter lead to the Rams as well.

Bennett going off injured didn't help, with Hester and Jeffery already out. Marshall had a great game, but couldn't get anything out of any other receivers. Run-game wasn't great, partly on the o-line, e.g. the failed 4th-down attempt was on them.

Don't think there's too much wrong, and the Vikings and Packers have their own problems, so I'm still fairly optimistic about winning the division. Were always gonna have to win the next 2 games. Just hope these injuries aren't mounting up. Jennings and Urlacher also went off injured, haven't heard anything about them today.

I think disaster is overstating it, the Seahawks are a good team and Russell Wilson presents some different challenges. I thought the defense played well, with 57 mins gone, they'd held them to 10 points. It's up to the offense to put more than 14 on the board at home. When a team is using all 4 downs at the end of the game, they're hard to stop. The Broncos have a great defense, they gave up a big 4th quarter drive to the Bucs (but they won because they had a 15-point lead). 49ers gave up a 4th quarter lead to the Rams as well.

Bennett going off injured didn't help, with Hester and Jeffery already out. Marshall had a great game, but couldn't get anything out of any other receivers. Run-game wasn't great, partly on the o-line, e.g. the failed 4th-down attempt was on them.

Don't think there's too much wrong, and the Vikings and Packers have their own problems, so I'm still fairly optimistic about winning the division. Were always gonna have to win the next 2 games. Just hope these injuries aren't mounting up. Jennings and Urlacher also went off injured, haven't heard anything about them today.

I agree disaster is probably a bit strong but it was a real case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Badly need Urlacher to be fit for next week.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I agree disaster is probably a bit strong but it was a real case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Badly need Urlacher to be fit for next week.

Urlacher out for 2-4 weeks so will miss rest of regular season. Read on NFL.com

Urlacher out for 2-4 weeks so will miss rest of regular season. Read on NFL.com

Thanks, thats a bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I am really hating seeing all the talk about 'Lach having possibly played his last game as a Bear :(.

He HAS to come back next year. He and Pat Mannelly are the only players left that were on the team when I started watching.

Excited to see Jeffery back today, really need more receiving options. Hope he can stay healthy now for the run-in.

• Advertisement

Bad day, but that guy Rosenbloom's a clown: You can fire Lovie right now

The team he's calling a bad team with a 'kid quarterback' won 58-0 today. I also disagree that it's on the defense. Loss today was on the offense.

The two interceptions and the dropped passes killed them. The play-call for the 2nd interception was horrible. 2nd-and-5 mid-way through the 3rd, for some reason Armando Allen comes in for his first snap, fails to get the first down. 3rd-and-1, they attempt a 15-yard pass downfield. Why are you going for that when you need 1 yard for the first down? They throw it to Marshall in triple coverage, Cutler overthrew it but the real problem was the play-call. Where are your short-yardage plays there?

The other play that killed them was Hester's dropped pass, which was a certain touchdown if he didn't take his eye off the ball.

Very frustrating game, beaten by a team with less talent. AP's a beast but you shouldn't let one player beat you, which is effectively what they did.

6th seeds at the moment for play offs with 3 games left 1 at home 2 away v Cardinals and Detroit. Win 2 and lose 1 will that do us? hoping we beat the Packers obviously

6th seeds at the moment for play offs with 3 games left 1 at home 2 away v Cardinals and Detroit. Win 2 and lose 1 will that do us? hoping we beat the Packers obviously

Division is out of our hands now, even if we beat the Packers, the Packers have a better divisional record, so they'd need to lose another game.

Still strong favourites to make the playoffs I think. Will definitely beat the Cardinals, which would mean a 9-7 record at least. That might be enough on its own, wildcard rivals are the Seahawks (8-5), Redskins (7-6), Cowboys (7-6), and Vikings (7-6). Have the tie-breaker over the Cowboys, 10-6 would secure it, I think.

Still haven't given up on the division. Watched the Packers against the Lions last night and they're not that good. Lions had a chance to beat them, if it wasn't for some stupid stuff. Next week's game is still huge, because the Packers could still slip up with two games against the Titans and Vikings. Also need it for the division-record tie-breaker against the Vikings (currently 2-2, Vikings are 3-2).

Division is out of our hands now, even if we beat the Packers, the Packers have a better divisional record, so they'd need to lose another game.

Still strong favourites to make the playoffs I think. Will definitely beat the Cardinals, which would mean a 9-7 record at least. That might be enough on its own, wildcard rivals are the Seahawks (8-5), Redskins (7-6), Cowboys (7-6), and Vikings (7-6). Have the tie-breaker over the Cowboys, 10-6 would secure it, I think.

Still haven't given up on the division. Watched the Packers against the Lions last night and they're not that good. Lions had a chance to beat them, if it wasn't for some stupid stuff. Next week's game is still huge, because the Packers could still slip up with two games against the Titans and Vikings. Also need it for the division-record tie-breaker against the Vikings (currently 2-2, Vikings are 3-2).

Yeah the Packers got lucky for the touchdown after Stafford mishandled the ball, it was a weather-based victory. I'm gonna be in Chicago next week, would LOVE to be there for a win over the Packers. But the current run is very worrying. I think going on percentages the Bears are about 60% likely to be a wildcard, but I'm still shocked at just how dependent the D is on Brian Urlacher. The offense is far too one-dimensional, although if the weather stays as it is (and it will) then I would fancy Marshall against the Packers D. I just don't know if our D can stop Rodgers when his receivers are able to take down ball the way Cobb did last night. So I dunno. Packers overrated, but the Bears looking increasingly shaky as the schedule got tougher during the season.

I think your being far too fair.

4 losses out of 5 isn't it? It seems when other teams are get going the Bears are doing the opposite.

There were dropped passes and poor defence the game before too, good sides don't make so many mistakes.

Anyway i hope they re-bound this weekend, i really do but i'm not so sure.

Bad day, but that guy Rosenbloom's a clown: You can fire Lovie right now

The team he's calling a bad team with a 'kid quarterback' won 58-0 today. I also disagree that it's on the defense. Loss today was on the offense.

The two interceptions and the dropped passes killed them. The play-call for the 2nd interception was horrible. 2nd-and-5 mid-way through the 3rd, for some reason Armando Allen comes in for his first snap, fails to get the first down. 3rd-and-1, they attempt a 15-yard pass downfield. Why are you going for that when you need 1 yard for the first down? They throw it to Marshall in triple coverage, Cutler overthrew it but the real problem was the play-call. Where are your short-yardage plays there?

The other play that killed them was Hester's dropped pass, which was a certain touchdown if he didn't take his eye off the ball.

Very frustrating game, beaten by a team with less talent. AP's a beast but you shouldn't let one player beat you, which is effectively what they did.

I think your being far too fair.

4 losses out of 5 isn't it? It seems when other teams are get going the Bears are doing the opposite.

There were dropped passes and poor defence the game before too, good sides don't make so many mistakes.

Anyway i hope they re-bound this weekend, i really do but i'm not so sure.

I don't think I'm sugar-coating it, when they were 7-1, people were saying they were one of the best teams in the league, and I was saying they're not as good as they look.

Now they've lost a few games and people are saying they're awful, and they need to sack the coach, and I'm saying they're not that bad. My opinion of the team hasn't changed much over the season (10-11 win team, whose ceiling this year is probably reaching the NFC championship game). You see people in the press doing complete U-turns, and they're either totally overreacting or there are other agendas at play.

I think there was one properly bad game in the last 5, at the 49ers. Cutler was out for that (but I think they would've still lost had he played).

Other games...
    vs. Texans: would've won I think if Cutler doesn't get concussed.
    vs. Seahawks: overtime loss against an excellent team, could've gone either way.
    vs. Vikings: had they played smarter they would've won. Started slow which cost them badly (plus first interception was a slip by Jeffery), but outplayed the Vikings for most of the game, finished up with 438 yards vs. 248 yards.

In general play, I'm not seeing a big difference between the performances now and earlier in the season.

And I see problems with the Packers. The Giants destroyed them a couple of weeks go. And they had problems in several areas....the pass-protection was bad, the run-defense was bad. I think the Bears can get at them in those areas on Sunday. The Bears' run-blocking hasn't been good, but I think against this weak run-defense, they can get something going there.

I'm also hoping to see better games from Jeffery and Hester, probably a bit rusty against the Vikings, having been out.

Interview with Marshall on today NFL.com: Brandon Marshall throws fuel on Bears-Packers rivalry. Sounds like he's fired up for it.

I don't think I'm sugar-coating it, when they were 7-1, people were saying they were one of the best teams in the league, and I was saying they're not as good as they look.

Now they've lost a few games and people are saying they're awful, and they need to sack the coach, and I'm saying they're not that bad. My opinion of the team hasn't changed much over the season (10-11 win team, whose ceiling this year is probably reaching the NFC championship game). You see people in the press doing complete U-turns, and they're either totally overreacting or there are other agendas at play.

I think there was one properly bad game in the last 5, at the 49ers. Cutler was out for that (but I think they would've still lost had he played).

Other games...
    vs. Seahawks: overtime loss against an excellent team, could've gone either way.
    vs. Vikings: had they played smarter they would've won. Started slow which cost them badly (plus first interception was a slip by Jeffery), but outplayed the Vikings for most of the game, finished up with 438 yards vs. 248 yards.

In general play, I'm not seeing a big difference between the performances now and earlier in the season.

And I see problems with the Packers. The Giants destroyed them a couple of weeks go. And they had problems in several areas....the pass-protection was bad, the run-defense was bad. I think the Bears can get at them in those areas on Sunday. The Bears' run-blocking hasn't been good, but I think against this weak run-defense, they can get something going there.

I'm also hoping to see better games from Jeffery and Hester, probably a bit rusty against the Vikings, having been out.

Interview with Marshall on today NFL.com: Brandon Marshall throws fuel on Bears-Packers rivalry. Sounds like he's fired up for it.

Agree with most of that but I don't think many we're sayin they were the best team more they had the best d, which has taken a slump over last 3 games.

They are lacking on the offensive side of the ball. Marshall is a quality receiver but lacking a second option for Cutler. Hopefully Jeffery can prove to be the consistent second option but its early days yet and injury didn't help. The line was awful early on but they seem to have gotten through lie worst of it.

Hoping we can do a number on the pack this week and wouldn't be surprised with a w tbh.

Other games...

Agree with most of what you're saying there actually, the 7-1 flattered them, they havent become a bad team ( yet anyway - the next few games will tell a lot) overnight and calls for sackings are crazy - it sells papers we know the score there - but at the same time there is no point sugar coating the D was prettyy poor at the end of the Seahwks game and at the start of the Vikings game.

As GUFC21 points out we really need Jeffrey & Hesten to step up - too much is on Marshall's shoulders. Cutler went for hime 3/4 times with double coverage and a couple were hopeful at best.

Anyway hopefully things will turn around Sunday, definitely need a good running game and the other receivers to step up

Agree with most of that but I don't think many we're sayin they were the best team more they had the best d, which has taken a slump over last 3 games.
    Yeah maybe not much on here, but I did hear it said, Colin Cowherd tipped them for the Super Bowl, Bill Barnwell, who's stuff I normally like, ranked them the #1 team in the NFL in week 6. And I was reading some articles in the Chicago Tribune during the 7-1 run, and I was surprised at the lack of criticism, when there were obvious offensive problems.
    Agree with most of what you're saying there actually, the 7-1 flattered them, they havent become a bad team ( yet anyway - the next few games will tell a lot) overnight and calls for sackings are crazy - it sells papers we know the score there - but at the same time there is no point sugar coating the D was prettyy poor at the end of the Seahwks game and at the start of the Vikings game.

I think there's some grounds for optimism here. Sides the defense has struggled against: 49ers, Seahawks, Vikings, all very run-oriented teams. When you look at the numbers, the Bears are 22nd in yards-per-rushing-attempt allowed, but 3rd in yards-per-pass-attempt allowed. So much better at defending the pass than the run. The Packers aren't going to beat you running the ball, and the Bears defended them pretty well at Lambeau. Hope Tim Jennings is back though, just checking his latest status there: 'Bears coach Lovie Smith said Tim Jennings is getting much better, but didn't practice today.'
    As GUFC21 points out we really need Jeffrey & Hesten to step up - too much is on Marshall's shoulders. Cutler went for hime 3/4 times with double coverage and a couple were hopeful at best.

Anyway hopefully things will turn around Sunday, definitely need a good running game and the other receivers to step up

Yeah Marshall is having an awesome season but you can't win going to one player so much. I agree - need to run the ball, and need to get the other receivers involved. I'm thinking Jeffery could be a big factor in the game if Marshall is drawing double coverage.

• Advertisement

Well that was a massive momentum changer there. We've been awful offensively so far - only 2 real notable plays - the 22 yard run from forte and the TD from Marshall. Throwing way too many picks lately and again, so far, not using other receivers. Has Cutler even aimed for Jeffrey yets? The defence playing well enough as usual but just under too much pressure and it tells eventually.

Hopefully improve in the second half offensively but can easily see another interception as Cutler looks for Marshall long a couple of time.

Couldnt have started the game any better in lot of ways and still down at half time - disappointing.

Advertisement