Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Love Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I dropped out of secondary school. I have no degree (you don't need one to make money or get laid), but I thought myself how to lay granite and tile flooring. I make an excellent living and have no student loan to pay off.

Then again, I knew my school teachers were a shower of **** and I went my own path.

Ireland has given me a wonderful life. Because I ignored the unwritten RTE social engineering rule book and made my own.

If your happy on your knees cutting tiles for people with a degree ... Who am I to judge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Where's Mint Aero??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Eramen wrote: »
    How fúkken dare you and my congratulations.

The gods of PC will scowl that you didn't take those sensitivity training classes at uni but what of it I say!?

I love hearing these kinds of stories and opinions. I consider them to be reversing RTE's grip over the public mind.

What's wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

We all may bitch and moan about Ireland but the majority of the time you can talk to anyone at any time. Stuff happens that can be out of your hands but we have an intrinsic motivation to try our best to get on with life as best we can. Whatever country you live in things won't go your way all the time but don't let it get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

All the best to her for the next 100 years and all that sail in her.

• Advertisement

I love Ireland, the landscape, the heritage, the people, the culture.

But some aspects of each of the foregoing trouble me.

I pretty much love South Kerry without question. It's my life. It's where I was born and reared, I love every aspect of it, the changing mood as a cloud darkens over South Kerry, the light as the sun bounces off snow on the Reeks, the chat about club football matches, the news from the pubs in Cahersiveen and Killorglin and Kenmare. I love it in a way that pushes Ireland back into second place. It is the intimacy of association, it is the land I love since I was born, it has forged and made me. When people say would I die or kill for Ireland...not a chance. Would I die or kill for what I can see when I climb the highest mountain in my locality...possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sure I remember when she accepted Punts!

I have been on her, in her, around her and above her. I've been up the top of her and down the bottom of her.

I wear her flag, I have worked for her, bled for her, would kill for her and die for her and the only thing I want in return is to be able to call myself an Irishman.

I remember when she took shillings
    I was born in 75 but we still used shillings well into the 80's they looked like 5ps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I pretty much love South Kerry without question. It's my life. It's where I was born and reared, I love every aspect of it, the changing mood as a cloud darkens over South Kerry, the light as the sun bounces off snow on the Reeks, the chat about club football matches, the news from the pubs in Cahersiveen and Killorglin and Kenmare. I love it in a way that pushes Ireland back into second place. It is the intimacy of association, it is the land I love since I was born, it has forged and made me. When people say would I die or kill for Ireland...not a chance. Would I die or kill for what I can see when I climb the highest mountain in my locality...possibly.

Kerry people love kerry. It's nice of course but I think it's natives are the most countyistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I have many the gripe and grumble about it, but there's definitely lots to love.

We're not always great at following the rules. But I found when I was working abroad that sometimes being willing to bend the rules or go around them is one of our biggest strengths - we know how to get things done. :)

The Irish sense of humour, the sense of the absurd, the ability to see dark humour in the worst of situations, the honour in being able to take a slagging and give one, the wind-ups and yarns and tall tales, I love it all.

And then there's the landscape. Every so often I'll be fed-up or worn out and then I'll drive around a corner or walk over the brow of a hill and see a sight so gob-smackingly gorgeous, take-your-breath-away stunning, that I appreciate it all again.

melissak wrote: »
    Kerry people love kerry. It's nice of course but I think it's natives are the most countyistic.

It's not for everyone. Many of my friends find it insular and leave. Many of my friends wrap themselves up in it completely and have never broadened their horizons at all. I can't claim to get either. I grew up in South Kerry and I understand both, I have lived away from here, I have hated the squinting windows mentality, I have been the subject of nonsense rumours...but I let them all wash over me and appreciate that's the price of living in small town rural Ireland. And I would not swap the beauty of the landscape, the pace of life in South Kerry (or indeed the Beara Peninsula) for anything. I want to bring up my daughter here. I want her to have a Kerry accent. I want her to have the values that my neighbours have. I want her to instinctively feel it when the Kerry flag is unfurled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I have no degree (you don't need one to get laid).

Some of us have standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Yeah but ..... the ****in Healy Rae's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I dropped out of secondary school. I have no degree (you don't need one to make money or get laid), but I thought myself how to lay granite and tile flooring. I make an excellent living and have no student loan to pay off.

Then again, I knew my school teachers were a shower of **** and I went my own path.

Ireland has given me a wonderful life. Because I ignored the unwritten RTE social engineering rule book and made my own.
    you paved your way to success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Ahh yes, Ireland, Who wouldn't love Ireland, 4 seasons in one day. I love the Island no matter the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Sorry mate you have given yourself the wonderful life you seem to live. It doesn't seem like Ireland had any factor in your success whatsoever. You dropped out of school and you made the decision to prosper without education. Well done, but credit yourself - not f*cking Ireland.

It's like people who thank god when they win an Oscar; he might or might not exist, but don't thank someone or something that has absolutely nothing to do with your success one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

RayCon wrote: »
    Yeah but ..... the ****in Healy Rae's.

Kerry people seem to love them too. Maybe it is the caps, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Sorry mate you have given yourself the wonderful life you seem to live. It doesn't seem like Ireland had any factor in your success whatsoever. You dropped out of school and you made the decision to prosper without education. Well done, but credit yourself - not f*cking Ireland.

It's like people who thank god when they win an Oscar; he might or might not exist, but don't thank someone or something that has absolutely nothing to do with your success one bit.

But the embodiment of Eire stepped forth from the veiled earth, hands outspread, to provide me with an doss job and loads of dough to buy heaps of houses with. I did nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't think rte has as large of an influence on our irish lives as you think, well not for me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I always chuckle when people talk about RTE like its some ropey US news channel, constantly peddling something utterly dreadful down our throats. Same with the BBC. Both do a pretty damn good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

rsh118 wrote: »
    I always chuckle when people talk about RTE like its some ropey US news channel, constantly peddling something utterly dreadful down our throats. Same with the BBC. Both do a pretty damn good job!

Some people will believe anything so that they can put together in their heads the idea that they're being deliberately marginalised and the world is out to get them specifically.

People need to lighten up and see RTE as an amalgam of artsy, Gaeilgoir-y types and hard nosed technicians working under a conservatively minded authority in the habit of not pissing off anyone in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It would take an awful of lot for me to turn away from Ireland....we are a great little country who have done a lot of good in the world in all areas of life.

Those who spend their days whinging and moaning and protesting about every little thing clearly have no idea how lucky we are here....we have no wars, no natural disasters, no epidemics.

Our economy is not, despite what a lot of people seem to want to believe, on the brink of collapse and our politicians aren't the corrupt cruel individuals we pretend they are. They've just been dealt a difficult hand and have to make tough decisions to get us out of the mess we were in. Even the Church are not, to my mind, the epitome of all evil....it's a small minority sick individuals that have blackened all them all.

I'm proud to be Irish and I hate this oh-woe-is-us attitude that is so prevalent lately....we are great little nation and we should be holding our heads high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I am not making fun of the chap who started the I Hate Ireland thread. I am just pointing out there are LOADS of ways to live well in this country.

Mind Control bull**** on RTE News like kids in euphoria upon getting their Leaving results creates a very false reality of human existence in this country for many people. Then they subconsciously spend the rest of their lies trying to make their mammy's proud of them, when they should be focussed on their own personal contentment.

I wish the chap well. But he is too focussed on doing what he expects RTE to want him to do with his life. This is root cause of his anguish.

I agree with this. I've a good degree and a good salary but it's still just an anonymous cubicle office, probably not that secure either. Nor will my work necessarily last until I'm 60+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree with this. I've a good degree and a good salary but it's still just an anonymous cubicle office, probably not that secure either. Nor will my work necessarily last until I'm 60+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfy5Enz6-c

Advertisement