Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Pesky political correctness!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Half-Baked" would be an improvement:

I think the voiceover is from his speech at "Liberty University" last week. You know the place - where students do not have the liberty to not attend a Ted Cruz speech.

edit: apparently, "religious liberty" is high on Cruz's agenda. The cognitive dissonance ... it burns.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Eh...still not worse than Rick Perry's infamous effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Ted Cruz I don't trust. To me, this Tea Party is just the KKK dressed up and made to look better. I never thought I'd say it, but I'd prefer a Bush to win than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Ted Cruz I don't trust. To me, this Tea Party is just the KKK dressed up and made to look better. I never thought I'd say it, but I'd prefer a Bush to win than him.

Cruz hasn't a chance. He's just the clown sent out by the GOP to keep the mouth breathing, dribbling, inbred religious right happy while they sort out which Bush they want to coup in and which muslim country they'll invade after the coup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cruz hasn't a chance. He's just the clown sent out by the GOP to keep the mouth breathing, dribbling, inbred religious right happy while they sort out which Bush they want to coup in and which muslim country they'll invade after the coup.

It's worked out before, so why change now?

Nodin wrote: »
    It's worked out before, so why change now?

It all depends on how many ballots they can stuff; Blacks, Latinos, Natives Jews and women they can disenfranchise; and how many of their own people they can get to count the remaining "proper" ballots.

It has to be said that I don't like the idea of Hilary Clinton as the CIC much. There's a steely edge there that I wouldn't like to see given a free run, particularily in the middle east. Opposed to the 'Bomb Iran/Ban Abortion/I speak to Jesus' crew, she's obviously the sane option, but still.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Oops.

Republican ‘Abstinence-Only’ Crusader’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/10/republican-abstinence-only-crusaders-17-year-old-daughter-is-pregnant/
    A Republican lawmaker who promoted legislation to teach “abstinence-only” sex education in schools announced that his own unmarried high school-aged daughter has gotten pregnant. Bill Cassidy, a state Senator from Louisiana released a statement to NOLA.com announcing that he was to be a grandfather and expressing his support for his daughter during this “challenging” time:
    “Earlier this year, Laura and I learned we will become grandparents this summer. Our children have been the greatest blessing of our lives and we welcome our grandchild as a joyous addition to our family. Our daughter now faces a more challenging future than her peers. She has our unconditional love and support.”
    Cassidy has made a name for himself as somewhat of a “abstinence-only” crusader. Last year, he co-sponsored the Abstinence-Only Reallocation Act, which would award grants and special funding to public and private schools which stuck to teaching only abstinence instead of a more comprehensive lesson plan on sexual behavior. The bill, authored by perennial bad ideas machine Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-SC), has been tabled in Congress, but Louisiana teens aren’t in the clear.

Despite efforts by some legislators to address this problem, Louisiana is one of the leading abstinence-only promoters in the country. In roughly one-third of all schools in the state, students are taught exclusively abstinence. No safe sex. No birth control. Nothing but “Don’t do it.” And you know how good kids are at listening to adults when they tell them not to do something…

It might explain why Louisiana currently has the 6th highest teen pregnancy rate in the nation. And while most of the country has been seeing major declines in teen births, Louisiana’s has hardly changed. Now, it appears Cassidy’s own daughter contributes to those statistics.
    Good to hear that his daughter has his unconditional support, but one wonders whether his views on the uselessness of abstinence-only will change.

And here's number two - Ron Paul, son of Rand Paul.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32197054

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

robindch wrote: »
    And here's number two - Ron Paul, son of Rand Paul.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32197054

Rand is the son of Ron, who begat etc. etc. - they are a couple of wingnuts though.

Rand is the son of Ron, who begat etc. etc. - they are a couple of wingnuts though.
    Damn. My fingers lost interest as soon as they hit the keyboard. Can't think why.

Oops.

Republican ‘Abstinence-Only’ Crusader’s 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Pregnant

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/10/republican-abstinence-only-crusaders-17-year-old-daughter-is-pregnant/

Good to hear that his daughter has his unconditional support, but one wonders whether his views on the uselessness of abstinence-only will change.

This shows the hypocrites these types are. The whole 'conservative' thing smacks of hypocrisy as it is always about pretending to be something whiter than white when they actually have a huge amount of baggage. Mrs Brown would be more conservative than any of them actually!!!

Ron "I am not against but not precisely for the gays" Paul.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ted Cruz is frightening little girls now.

Via http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/
    "The whole world is on fire."
    -- Sen. Ted Cruz, during a stump speech in New Hampshire

"The world is on fire?"
    -- Three-year-old Julie Trant, sitting on her mother's lap

"The world is on fire, yes. Your world is on fire."
    -- Cruz

Bit of a non-story. It got spun whatever way your political beliefs lie. The mother was on Fox News saying the kid wasn't scared.

His speech at Liberty university was more concerning in its pandering. For example:

'God’s blessing has been on America from the very beginning of this nation, and I believe God isn’t done with America yet.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Michele Bachmann Is Excited For The Rapture!

In an interview with End Times broadcaster Jan Markell that was aired this weekend, former Rep. Michele Bachmann said that people should “not despair but rejoice” that the world has reached the “midnight hour” and that “we in our lifetimes potentially could see Jesus Christ returning to earth and the Rapture of the church.”

After Bachmann said that Obama intends to “lift up the agenda of radical Islam,” Markell added that legal abortion and marriage equality for gays and lesbians are bringing about divine punishment on America.

“You are right,” Bachmann responded, lamenting that God will soon lift His “hedge of protection” over “pagan” America “and we will suffer the consequences as a result.”

“That’s why so many Christians I think are sad and despairing because we know what the word of God says,” she said. “But it is also a chastening as individual believers for our good and that, to me, is extremely exciting.”

She's as mad as a bottle of crisps, yet she's a former member of the United States House of Representatives. It really is the 'land of opportunity'. Anyone can make it, even her . . . . or Palin . . . or Santorum . . . or the rest of the religious Republican asylum* escapees.

*insane asylum, not the other kind.

Thank His Noodly Appendage she's a former Representative. If she had half as much as a chance as the Taliban or Daesh had, she'd help impose "Dominionism" on whatever areas are unlucky enough to get conquered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I presume many have seen this on FB already:

11156331_10153074503689270_6728881842754477476_n.jpg?oh=88175d00134448faf6fe5c5f6bba048c&oe=55CC6CE9

Some good stuff in there. She got 67 votes last time out. Could be close this time. God willing, she will get elected!

Oh yeah, forgot the constituency: Fermanagh and Omagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

What a charmer. Lucky Fermanagh, having herself and 67 more like her in their county. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

She also against modern rock music (although she name drops Kurt Cobain as modern) and women going to the Gym

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    She also against modern rock music (although she name drops Kurt Cobain as modern) and women going to the Gym

So, she's more of a Batman groupie then, than a Jebus groupie?

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.ie/2009/08/batman-fortunate-son.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Presumably she'd deny that she's a bigot and a homophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

She name-dropped Iron Maiden too iirc

Proving that the devil DOES have the best tunes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/gays-40-times-more-likely-to-abuse-children-claims-election-candidate-susananne-white-31183880.html

The thing is, I don't mind Bat-**** crazy religious fanatics standing for election. I almost respect the fact that she has an un-swaying view based on what is actually written in the bible. No cherry picking for her!

BUT
    Mrs White supported the remarks, saying: "In the main what Jim Wells said was correct, and I can prove it."

She added: "Studies have shown that homosexuals are 40 times more likely than the general populace to abuse children."

Quote your bible, thats fine. Quoting makey uppey 'studies' is what makes you dangerous in my eyes.

What's the chances she'll end up killing herself in a failed suicide bombing run on a Marie Stopes clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

postitnote wrote: »
    No cherry picking for her!

Except Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[a] she must be quiet.

If she was consistent she wouldn't even attempt to become a public representative.

In a 50-49 vote, the Republican-controlled US Senate (54-R vs 44-D + 2-Ind) denied that humans have anything to do with climate change.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/01/22/politics/senate-not-ready-to-tie-climate-change-to-mankind/
    “The hoax is there are some people so arrogant to think they are so powerful they can change the climate,” Inhofe said Wednesday on the Senate floor. “Man can’t change the climate.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

In a 50-49 vote, the Republican-controlled US Senate (54-R vs 44-D + 2-Ind) denied that humans have anything to do with climate change.
    Senator Inhofe (R-OK) “The hoax is there are some people so arrogant to think they are so powerful they can change the climate,” Inhofe said Wednesday on the Senate floor. “Man can’t change the climate.”....

Coincidentally, Oklahoma is a large producer of shale gas....

More proof that Talibanism is not confined to fascist interpretations of Islam or to Middle Eastern dictators and terrorist groups. There's plenty of it coming out of Western Christian sources too and this is a clear example.

• Advertisement

Shrap wrote: »
    What a charmer. Lucky Fermanagh, having herself and 67 more like her in their county. :eek:

Probably around the border area? I have come across some very strange people with these sort of views on both sides of that border. Though clearly in the minority (as her popularity shows!), there are people with such views in towns like Glenfarne and Belcoo. Some are fanatic Catholics others fanatic CoI or Presbyterians. It probably goes back to the troubles?

What is perhaps most ironic of these types is their views on Islam. While they equate all Islam with the Talibanised fascist form of it and condemn it, their views on other issues are actually mirror images of fascist 'Islam' groups like the Taliban, ISIS, al Qaeda, etc.

Advertisement