Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether there is any downsides to applying for AIP and then potentially not using it? Would banks see it as a negative if I reapplied at a later point again and saw the unused approval?

I was advised by a brooker that if I apply for AIP now when exemptions are not avaliable then it would complicate matters when I am applying for an exemption.

The same might apply to your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Noah G wrote: »
    Hi just wondering a friend wants to get a mortgage but doesnt have a savings account, they just get there weekly pay from there job. I said you need to save for 6 months with money going into a savings account.

But they seem to think that a gift from parents is enough to get a mortgage with them just getting weekly pay but not having a savings account.

There in there early 20s and just cant get them to understand.

Very high level, but checklist for a mortgage is:
    • 10% of mortgage required as deposit
    • mortgage shouldn't exceed 3.5 times salary (exemptions exist)
    • You need to have evidence of repayability, either rent payments or savings in bank statements

Easiest thing to do if they don't listen is get them to go talk to someone and get shot down :)

Ikozma wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a site with cash instead of using it as a depisit for a mortgage and then apply for a mortgage to build

I think from a practicality point of view, you're better off keeping the cash, as you don't know yet if you'd get planning permission? Also, you may need the cash buffer for some lenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2up2down

Hi all, great thread, new to this Also.
    I have 2 questions if anyone can help I'd be delighted.
    Ftb, don't have much of a deposit saved as we were paying back a loan and monthly rent.paid loan off 18 months early. We have over enough for the fees stamp duty etc but will qualify for the full htb for deposit.
    We have just fully paid off a very big loan and have no other loans. Will the proof/ability to repay the loan we have just finished and our monthly rent payments be enough for the banks with just the legal fees and htb for deposit? Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

2up2down wrote: »
    Hi all, great thread, new to this Also.
    I have 2 questions if anyone can help I'd be delighted.
    Ftb, don't have much of a deposit saved as we were paying back a loan and monthly rent.paid loan off 18 months early. We have over enough for the fees stamp duty etc but will qualify for the full htb for deposit.
    We have just fully paid off a very big loan and have no other loans. Will the proof/ability to repay the loan we have just finished and our monthly rent payments be enough for the banks with just the legal fees and htb for deposit? Thanks for any help.

Think it would depend on the bank. I'd chat to a broker who'd be better able to advocate for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Does anyone know whether there is any downsides to applying for AIP and then potentially not using it? Would banks see it as a negative if I reapplied at a later point again and saw the unused approval?

Our mortgage advisor in a bank told us to go ahead and get approved for a loan amount and to come back and talk when exemptions come back on stream (probably January at this stage). So we did that. 12 month approval. She seemed to think that it was worth having the leg work done and getting approval early on, so that we could at least browse and bid even if we're not going to buy in the next while.

Re: the exemption part, on the next phone call she said that when we have a particular property in mind, then come and apply for the exemption. I've never bid on houses before but surely if you were to seek exemption every time you bid then that would put loads of questions marks over the whole thing. :o We were hoping for a LTV exemption, as we have a 15% deposit for the homes we're looking at currently and need the 20%. Damn Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Quick question
    What do banks prefer these days,savings in an actually "savings account" or money you have saved in your actually account ,
    Lets say you have 40 grand in a saving account or 40 grand in your current account which would be more appealing to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Quick question
    What do banks prefer these days,savings in an actually "savings account" or money you have saved in your actually account ,
    Lets say you have 40 grand in a saving account or 40 grand in your current account which would be more appealing to them ?

From a mortgage perspective, transferring 1-2k per month to a savings account and not dipping into it looks good and is more structured.

In general, having that much in a current account is never a good idea

From a mortgage perspective, transferring 1-2k per month to a savings account and not dipping into it looks good and is more structured.

In general, having that much in a current account is never a good idea

Out of interest why would you say its not a good idea to have in a current account ?

Lots of people would have far greater sums in there current account

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Out of interest why would you say its not a good idea to have in a current account ?

banks see your current account as your "safe to spend money", there's no real intent there with saving your money there, you doing a standing order from your salary account to your savings account shows intent, I can live with this money disappearing over night if needs be.

from a safety and security point of view, having a huge balance in your current account that's tied to your debit card is a risk. All it would take is for someone to clone your card, or grab your card at knifepoint etc and empty your account. Now you'll get this money back but will take time and I'd rather give them 200-300 euro rather than my lovely deposit for my house. I rarely have more than €1000 in my current account and transfer bits in if I'm having a bad month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Current account could get cleared out pretty easily if you got scammed or fraud occurred. Couldn't happen to a savings account given the funds normally cant be transferred externally from a savings account.

I normally keep no more than 100 or so in the current account for that reason. Everything else is kept secure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

When you say your savings accounts do you all mean with a separate bank?

I’m with AIB and just have a savings account alongside the current account. But sure it’s very handy to just transfer between the two even on the phone app?

Am I correct in saying there are different types of savings accounts offered by your bank? i.e. one that you have to request to withdraw from?

I divide savings each month into a northern Irish bank account, AIB down here and credit union. Can’t see how that would be frowned upon my future mortgage application reviewer?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    When you say your savings accounts do you all mean with a separate bank?

I’m with AIB and just have a savings account alongside the current account. But sure it’s very handy to just transfer between the two even on the phone app?

I divide savings each month into a northern Irish bank account, AIB down here and credit union. Can’t see how that would be frowned upon my future mortgage application reviewer?

When I transferring the deposit to my solicitor (you don't transfer any money to your bank), it was transfer from my KBC savings (instant) and credit union (one day) to my current account then do transfer from current account to solicitors bank account.

The bank doesn't really care where you save your money as long as it's simple for them to see where the money is going. compare and contrast:

person 1: saves 1500 a month on the 12th of every month, and it goes into a single savings account, which shows zero withdrawals.

person 2: saves 1500 a month on the 5th of every month, it's split evenly between Credit union, Bank A savings account, Bank B savings account.

person 3: lumps everything into the current account and builds up a balance, some months they have 1500 a month left over, but other months 1200, and other months 1334.53.

Which scenarios are easier to see a record of regular savings? 1 and 2 right? Person 3 you have to run through each transaction to see where the savings are happening in-between Penney's, Ladbrokes, Boohoo and the local chipper transactions.

With Person 1 and 2, savings is thought of when they get paid, it's first and foremost top of mind; Person 3 is saving but it looks like an after thought.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying there are different types of savings accounts offered by your bank? i.e. one that you have to request to withdraw from?
    There are many types of savings accounts, some offer instant-access savings (like that AIB account you mention), some require 30-60 days notice that you want the money, you'll need to chat with the bank / look on bonkers.ie to see which accounts are best for you.

Just to note to my previous post around instant access savings accounts, sure there can be a scenario where someone may get phone and transfer money from your instant savings to your current account and then rob it. Nothing is 100% fool proof but it's all about having enough safety layers on your money, you've worked hard for it, so don't make it easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

There are many types of savings accounts, some offer instant-access savings (like that AIB account you mention), some require 30-60 days notice that you want the money, you'll need to chat with the bank / look on bonkers.ie to see which accounts are best for you.

I have a savings account with AIB that requires 7 days notice, which is just right IMO. In case of an emergency you are not waiting too long, but its long enough that you won't dip into to it for an impulse purchase.

Markitron wrote: »
    I have a savings account with AIB that requires 7 days notice, which is just right IMO. In case of an emergency you are not waiting too long, but its long enough that you won't dip into to it for an impulse purchase.

Sounds good. With this stuff there's no right or wrong answer by the way. everyone is different with this stuff and it's only through listening to others experiences and researching what's best for you do you get the best for you.

For me the best thing I learned when saving for a deposit (is knowing how much a month I could realistic live off). so when pay day came, I transferred out a regular amount to a savings account and not touch, kept my living money in my current account, and transferred the rest into another savings account/credit union so that it was there if I needed it but if I didn't it was saved and whilst it wasn't regular (i.e. sometimes needed to dip into it), it was a fund big enough to say pay for furniture or some appliances.

Doing this when I got paid meant I wasn't getting to the end of the month wondering where my full salary had vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭wassie

Look at it from the point of view of the person assessing your application.
    • If you have a dedicated savings account that shows regular monthly deposits and no withdrawls then you have clearly demonstrated your ability to repay a loan.
    • If its in a current account intermixed with numerous transactions, it becomes harder to determine if you have not been 'dipping' into your savings which may negatively impact your application.
    This is what lenders prefer and if you want their money then the easier you make it for them, the stronger your application becomes and may also mean a faster approval.

wassie wrote: »
    Look at it from the point of view of the person assessing your application.
    • If you have a dedicated savings account that shows regular monthly deposits and no withdrawls then you have clearly demonstrated your ability to repay a loan.
    • If its in a current account intermixed with numerous transactions, it becomes harder to determine if you have not been 'dipping' into your savings which may negatively impact your application.
    This is what lenders prefer and if you want their money then the easier you make it for them, the stronger your application becomes and may also mean a faster approval.

Oh I understand that saving account part it makes perfect sense but the blanket statement of its not a good idea to have that much cash in your current account at any time is what I don't get,

Oh I understand that saving account part it makes perfect sense but the blanket statement of its not a good idea to have that much cash in your current account at any time is what I don't get,

I think it's been already stated, but it's a security risk, anybody could clean out your account if they wanted, it could take months to get it back, and it's only insured up to 100k

Fair point. I would agree with @Bubbaclaus post on the previous page.
    Current account could get cleared out pretty easily if you got scammed or fraud occurred. Couldn't happen to a savings account given the funds normally cant be transferred externally from a savings account. I normally keep no more than 100 or so in the current account for that reason. Everything else is kept secure.

And this.
    from a safety and security point of view, having a huge balance in your current account that's tied to your debit card is a risk. All it would take is for someone to clone your card, or grab your card at knifepoint etc and empty your account. Now you'll get this money back but will take time and I'd rather give them 200-300 euro rather than my lovely deposit for my house.

As long as you have done the right things you money will generally be returned if you are subject to fraud. Its more about minimizing what the fraudsters can get and inconvenience of time & hassle to get your money back.

As long as you have done the right things you money will generally be returned if you are subject to fraud. Its more about minimizing what the fraudsters can get and inconvenience of time & hassle to get your money back.
    Yup that's why I said you'd get the money back, but if your through a traumatic experience like this it'd be nice to know they didn't get much and thus aren't off funding other crime with your hard earn cash they've stolen. small wins in ****ty situations help.

I had my debit card skimmed once when I was 24 just out of college and my first job. it was 3 weeks to pay day and some Brazilian wiped my account dry of €600. I had gotten paid by my employer again by the time the bank gave me the money. If I hadn't parents to lend me some money at the time I would have been screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I was advised by a brooker that if I apply for AIP now when exemptions are not avaliable then it would complicate matters when I am applying for an exemption.

The same might apply to your case?
    Are exemptions not available at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Are exemptions not available at the moment?

No, they stopped offering them when covid hit, a lot of people even had their exemptions pulled. There has been some anecdotal evidence of 1 or 2 lenders still giving them out, but by and large they seem to be off the table until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Well poop! Maybe should pull back broker application then

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

Last year around Christmas, my card got cloned and used in US in a gun shop.

Obviously, they first tried my card with a 6$ transaction in Walmart which I didn't pick as I did not check my bank account every day, and probably even if I would have checked, might not have spotted it as around Christmas, we all have lots of transaction.

The fraud department refunded me the money, however it took about 2-3 weeks.

There's an old say 'better safe than sorry'. Since then I check my current bank account daily. It only takes 1 minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

dalex15 wrote: »
    Last year around Christmas, my card got cloned and used in US in a gun shop.

Obviously, they first tried my card with a 6$ transaction in Walmart which I didn't pick as I did not check my bank account every day, and probably even if I would have checked, might not have spotted it as around Christmas, we all have lots of transaction.

The fraud department refunded me the money, however it took about 2-3 weeks.

There's an old say 'better safe than sorry'. Since then I check my current bank account daily. It only takes 1 minute.

Why not use a credit card then? It's the bank's money that is at stake. With debit card, the amount goes from your account.

Friend just received approval in principle from Finance Ireland for 3 year fixed rate 2.4%.

Said from time the broker submitted the application to receiving the letter was 6 working days. Application was straight forward with no exemptions (i.e. 3.5x salary, 20% deposit, 12 months demonstrated savings).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Friend just received approval in principle from Finance Ireland for 3 year fixed rate 2.4%.

Said from time the broker submitted the application to receiving the letter was 6 working days. Application was straight forward with no exemptions (i.e. 3.5x salary, 20% deposit, 12 months demonstrated savings).

that is a good rate , - I assume no cash rewards offer with that ?!

No I don't think FI do anything like that - straight forward no-frills loan looking at their website, although friend did say he could make an overpayment annually of up to 20% of outstanding balance which is good for a fixed rate.

I wonder do the majority of Irish people have there saving accounts with the same banks as the current accounts,
    Or do the majority people look around for the best saving accounts ,

I wonder do the majority of Irish people have there saving accounts with the same banks as the current accounts,
    Or do the majority people look around for the best saving accounts ,

Afaik there's little to no monetary benefit in most savings accounts these days.

Probably the best incentive out there is BOI who offer 2k I think if you save your deposit with them, and if you draw down with them.

• Advertisement

Afaik there's little to no monetary benefit in most savings accounts these days.

Probably the best incentive out there is BOI who offer 2k I think if you save your deposit with them, and if you draw down with them.

Yup and in fact, savings accounts in Ireland actually cost you money. any interest you gain is wiped out by DIRT and inflation rising. They are secure way of saving for a house, but if you want to actually grow your money they're useless.

the best savings account was the KBC when I joined it 4 years ago, they gave 2.5% up to 40k savings, they've slashed it back down to 0.75% over the last couple of years.

Advertisement