Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Checking out some Stateside live rail cams and seeing some nice bolts on this one in Missouri on the back end of a storm currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

If you scroll back about 90 mins, or 14.20 CDT time on the cam clock, you can watch this train station getting a direct hit from the storm.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Checking out some Stateside live rail cams and seeing some nice bolts on this one in Missouri on the back end of a storm currently:

If you scroll back about 90 mins, or 14.20 CDT time on the cam clock, you can watch this train station getting a direct hit from the storm.

Those cams are brilliant. I have been following them for a couple of years. Some are more active weather wise than others.

I know where every cam is so I always look at the lightning map to see if one has been hit or is going to get hit.

A few of them get water in the speakers whenever it rains so you cant hear anything unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

14:22:46, not 14:20, unless I started the video too late @ 14:20:01

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Activity over the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Serious amount of strikes just across the water . I wonder could the flashes be seen from Dublin coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I was wondering what all the flashes were I was seeing in the sky near the Wicklow coast. Looked like lightning but the sky is crystal clear here. Then I saw all the activity over Wales it has to be the flashes from the lightning over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

pad199207 wrote: »
    Serious amount of strikes just across the water . I wonder could the flashes be seen from Dublin coast?

Was out in an elevated part of Skerries earlier with a clear view over the sea. Saw nothing despite most of north Wales was lighting up on the map.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

saw a few very faint flashes to my east here at Dunshaughlin, those flashes are probably well beyond our coast. Big flashes of lightning can be seen up to 120km away.

Was out in an elevated part of Skerries earlier with a clear view over the sea. Saw nothing despite most of north Wales was lighting up on the map.

Shame. It would be some light snow. Friend is reporting constant lightning over Liverpool.

Gonzo wrote: »
    saw a few very faint flashes to my east here at Dunshaughlin, those flashes are probably well beyond our coast. Big flashes of lightning can be seen up to 120km away.

When?

• Advertisement

Just seen flashes here from Naas :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    When?

about 5 minutes ago, i'm in a country area with no light pollution so that helps alot. They are very faint flashes, similar to when Wexford coast had that storm about 2 months ago I could see the faint flashes from that too. My distance from the Wexford storms back in June and tonights Welsh storms would be roughly similar except that the Welsh storms are probably much more intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

West Mayo, thought I seen one to the south about 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Star gazing just now and there is constant flashing almost. Thought I was imaging it first. We are about 10 miles from the coast as the crow flies in North wexford. Is there a storm in Wales?

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Star gazing just now and there is constant flashing almost. Thought I was imaging it first. We are about 10 miles from the coast as the crow flies in North wexford. Is there a storm in Wales?

yep a massive one. It stretches from central Wales almost as far as the Scottish border and takes in much of Liverpool/Blackpool areas on towards Cumbria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

West Mayo, thought I seen one to the south about 15 minutes ago.

Indeed you did, one strike showing south of your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep a massive one. It stretches from central Wales almost as far as the Scottish border and takes in much of Liverpool/Blackpool areas on towards Cumbria.

Have seen lots of flashes. Some very bright for it being so far away. Jealous. And no luck on the meteors for now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check out this webcam at lake Windermere great lightning

https://www.fba.org.uk/ferry-cam

This one at Blackpool

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/blackpool/blackpool.html

A remarkable sight for the distance that the storms are. But the anvil is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Seen a few looking east from here in South Laois around midnight

Very little light pollution here to my east.

Moon and fog now, no further flashes.

• Advertisement

It looks like it’s grown into an MCS. If they can form that close to Ireland like that, there is no reason for example to see one come out of Wales and into Ireland in a SEly sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

its not far off 150km across that red blob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Hows today looking?
    You got any of those fancy charts? :pac:

Today looks F all for us while the UK looks to light up again. :(

However different story from tomorrow night. It looks like we have good chances for thundery showers.

Looking at the Windermere webcam last night in bed and no joke the lightning flashes on the phone were lighting up the room it was so bright and close, really spectacular.

Was pretty bad in Wales last night
    Flash flooding has affected parts of Wales as the country braces itself for days of
    "severe" thunderstorms. Wales is covered by a severe weather warning for thunderstorms from Monday until the end of Thursday, with the Met Office warning of flash flooding, lightning strikes and large hail. More than a dozen homes were reportedly struck by lightning at Penrhyn Madoc and hailstones the size of golf balls set off car alarms in Capel Curig. There were 50,000 lightning strikes recorded across the UK on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

nothing else happening until Thursday, Cork and Kerry looks to be in the firing line, from mid-day Thursday. maybe other parts of Waterford also on the coast

typhoony wrote: »
    nothing else happening until Thursday, Cork and Kerry looks to be in the firing line, from mid-day Thursday. maybe other parts of Waterford also on the coast

Any chance Galway will get sparks, I have antennas on the roof and will take them down if it looks likely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

https://twitter.com/Liam_Ball92/status/1292893954099286016

Storm clouds over Birmingham yesterday. Not jelous at all :/

• Advertisement

South of the UK going to get hammered later worth checking out Skyline webcam for sparks

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england.html

Advertisement