Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

There's a documentary on Nat Geo at 9pm tonight on how US ATC managed to get all airborne flights to land on 9\11. May interest some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Was camping in Crawfordsburn outside Bangor all weekend - basically right below the point traffic departing Belfast City turns to the south.

Was surprised by the noise of the ASL 737-300 (had me reaching for flight radar as its much noisier than the more regular A320 traffic). A BA A320-NEO went over a while later with hardly more than a whisper. They really have made massive strides in noise reduction...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Odd thing with the noise at different levels is that the one type I can consistently here hear (on one of the approaches to 10 at DUB) is an A320 without the vortex generator SPC added on approach. Can't hear anything else at all, really - even types that would be a lot louder lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

some city airports were imposing fines of the order of ten grand a day to airlines that didnt fit the vortex generators....it's to stop the blow-air-over-the-top-of-a-bottle noise that the hole in the wing generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/ryanair-passenger-arrested-at-shannon-so-drunk-she-thought-she-was-still-in-spain-1.4015129

She got off lightly. Won't be taking any cheap city breaks for a while though...

A drunken Ryanair passenger was in such a state that she thought she was still in Spain when arrested by gardai on her return to Shannon airport from Alicante last month, a court has heard.

Her solicitor John Casey told the court Ms Bradshaw is a nervous flyer and “a toxic mix” of consuming alcohol and prescription medication had resulted in her behaviour on the Shannon bound flight.

Giving an outline of the facts, Sgt Aiden Lonergan said Ms Bradshaw, a single mother, had consumed her own alcohol, bottles of Bailey’s Irish Cream and Smirnoff vodka while she had also smoked a cigarette.

He said Ms Bradshaw was abusive and insulting to flight staff and passengers causing considerable distress to all on board. She was arrested by gardai at Shannon after the flight landed.

Judge King said he would give Ms Bradshaw the Probation Act if she paid €500 into the court poor box and said that she had escaped a conviction over her prior good behaviour and absence of any convictions.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does anyone know anything about "Intercon Air (Ireland)"? I was watching the 80s movie Delta Force and the boys were doing some training on a broken 707 with that name on it. I googled to see if it was real and there are a handful of photos of it taken in the 70s (apparently at Shannon and Manston at least), but I can't seem to find any information on the airline, which I'd never heard of before.

I notice someone stuck the livery on a plane in Flight Sim X too.

I also saw that the main plane in the movie was used by Aer Lingus for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I totally love AVHERALD, two interesting events about the C series.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cac778d&opt=0

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cce7a9f&opt=0

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are C-series already in service not going to be redesignated as A220?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Are C-series already in service not going to be redesignated as A220?

As far as AOC/CofA and other official documents go, they are all BD-500-1A10 for A220-100 and BD-500-1A11 for A220-300 anyway.

A220 is just a marketing name and both EU operators refer to them as airbuses now, regardless when they were made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As do Delta, but its still got the C series door mat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

As do Delta, but its still got the C series door mat

Yeah I think so do airBaltic, but from the outside they used a sticker to "re-brand" some of it's fleet.. now it's all painted properly I think..

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/1018786659675070464

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've found someone with a worse catering supply setup than Aer Lingus. It's OBB rail and not aviation admittedly but my sleeper car tonight was loaded with one cheese and carrot sandwich, and some beer.

Nothing else.

Staff broke the rules (they're Austrian not German thankfully!) and found a few meals in another car. This is all buy on board too

Some people have too much time on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

JohnC. wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about "Intercon Air (Ireland)"? I was watching the 80s movie Delta Force and the boys were doing some training on a broken 707 with that name on it. I googled to see if it was real and there are a handful of photos of it taken in the 70s (apparently at Shannon and Manston at least), but I can't seem to find any information on the airline, which I'd never heard of before.

I notice someone stuck the livery on a plane in Flight Sim X too.

I also saw that the main plane in the movie was used by Aer Lingus for a time.

I seem to recall it was a short lived Irish cargo airline (1977 to 1979 I think) owned by Irish Intercon Cattle Meats Ltd (ICM), only the 707 had "(Ireland)" added, they had a Bristol 175 Britannia 253F EI-BBY which overshot the runway in Shannon following severe vibration issues and was a write off in 1977.

0362960.jpg?v=v40
    Photo: Bill Sheriden - Airliners.net

The 707 was EI-BFN, it never entered service however and became N90498 with MM Landy, rather it stayed as that as a registration issue saw that EI-BFN was never applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Lustrum

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/international-airlines-group-iag/british-airways/south-african-air-traffic-controllers-assign-special-squawk-to-british-airways-flight-after-south-african-rugby-world-cup-victory/amp/

Heard about this today, but wasn't sure if it was true or not - BA flight from Cape Town to LHR gets assigned squawk 1232 after the springboks beat England 12-32 in the world cup finalðŸ˜

Noticed an slight irony - after changing the bulk of the airframe on the new livery to Eurowhite, Aercard credit cards are physically made out of green plastic. The card is BOI standard colours on the faces but you can see the plastic colour on the edges. So the green is more important to the brand there than on the aircraft it seems!

Not a nice way to treat a B744, these events are usually caused by incorrect FMS entries that produce wrong speeds.

mycargo_b744_tc-mct_dammam_200201_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

Coffee banned in A350 cockpits https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2020-0020-E

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wouldn't mind some opinions on this... arriving into LHR T5 from PHX and need to transfer to T2 to depart to SNN. The layover time is 1 hr 45 min. Is that enough time? I'm thinking it'd be a bit too tight because of immigration?

EDIT: Just dawned on me that I should have posted this in the Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries sticky :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

I wouldn't mind some opinions on this... arriving into LHR T5 from PHX and need to transfer to T2 to depart to SNN. The layover time is 1 hr 45 min. Is that enough time? I'm thinking it'd be a bit too tight because of immigration?

I've done the T5 to T2 connection many times without a problem (so far!), often with shorter layovers than that. I think the official MCT is 90 mins, so you're above that and therefore should be ok. Recently security screening at the T2 flight connections point has been a bit busy in the early mornings (fast-track helps if you have it), but I've never had to queue at the immigration desks. Once you're through immigration the SNN gate is only about a 5 minute walk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

x567 wrote: »
    I've done the T5 to T2 connection many times without a problem (so far!), often with shorter layovers than that. I think the official MCT is 90 mins, so you're above that and therefore should be ok. Recently security screening at the T2 flight connections point has been a bit busy in the early mornings (fast-track helps if you have it), but I've never had to queue at the immigration desks. Once you're through immigration the SNN gate is only about a 5 minute walk

Thanks for the info :)

And if I had a checked bag... do you think it's likely to make it on to the flight to SNN?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Thanks for the info :)

And if I had a checked bag... do you think it's likely to make it on to the flight to SNN?

Well if you're within the MCT it should, in theory. I'm almost always "hand-baggage", so no relevant experience to relay I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

https://time.com/5785594/china-airlines-coronavirus/

80% of foreign capacity (1.7 million seats) and 10.4 million seats of domestic capacity cut between Jan 20 - Feb 17 in China. Wild the level of impact this is having.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

GBX wrote: »

The "thank you for flying" notice popping up immediately. When we hit the deck in weather and my missus comments "Thank god we're down", I like to point out that we're still going rather fast with a lot of moving parts working hard to slow us down :D My superstitious side wants the clapping when we're on the taxiway!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Nijmegen wrote: »
    https://time.com/5785594/china-airlines-coronavirus/

80% of foreign capacity (1.7 million seats) and 10.4 million seats of domestic capacity cut between Jan 20 - Feb 17 in China. Wild the level of impact this is having.

Not to mention the amount of corporate travel bans that are now in place, the effects of which will only become apparent when results and load factors are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

UAE military Hercules seems to be a regular visitor to Dublin. Is it just a stop off or another reason anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Hurrache wrote: »
    UAE military Hercules seems to be a regular visitor to Dublin. Is it just a stop off or another reason anyone know?

It's stuck there. Tech issue. Will be resolved shortly I believe.

• Advertisement

Advertisement