Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log homes in Ireland

• 26-03-2005 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Myself and the GF have been looking at this site http://www.goodwoodsolutions.com/ with the view building a log house on a plot in Kildare .

Has anyone had any expierience with these ?? And where would we start ? bearing in mind that we have never done any thing like this and wouldn't even know were to start/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

my mother's friend bought one a while back. She's chuffed with it, i think it cost her 30k!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Myself and the GF have been looking at this site http://www.goodwoodsolutions.com/ with the view building a log house on a plot in Kildare .

Has anyone had any expierience with these ?? And where would we start ? bearing in mind that we have never done any thing like this and wouldn't even know were to start/

Hi Banta Fodder,

You definitely have to do your research on this type of construction method , as you are probably aware, log cabin construction is definitely a rarity in Ireland. But personally I like them.

From a self build point of view, I think you are going to find it very difficult to find experienced labour available, to construct the kit for you. I say this, due to the unusual nature of the construction , and a couple of elements in the build, that are not readily appreciated by tradesmen engaged in normal timberframe methods, and definitely not in normal concrete / block construction.

The elements I refer to are settlement of the building, due to the material used. And the need to accomodate this movement by sliding methods of installing windows doors ect,

As your building is timber, it is going to move , and the fitting of windows and doors, needs to accommodate this movement. There is no point in fixing doos and windows , tight to heads, and then six to twelve months later your house settles 20mm, this settlement is going to open at the window and door heads. There are methods of fitting to accommodate this, but they require lengthy explanations, and no doubt your kit supplier will have the information you require.

I have seen a number of kit build log cabins, and some of the window, door fitting and weather proofing , leave a lot to be desired. And the initial plans left out some important details.You would need to get specific information regarding window , door weatherproofing details, and cill requirements, as well as roof spec, and then discuss these with a good architect. Some of queries I raised recently with a neighbour, who also built a log cabin, from a european supplier, should have been dealt with prior to the kit purchase, and not at the end of the build. Unfortunately for him he contacted me when his cabin was built. Bit too late then.

As I always say, research and more research, before you commit.

Would I reccommend this as a self build, Yeah, if RooferPete, Carpenter, myself, and any other experienced pro's were doing it. :cool:

You need your head screwed on for this one friend ;)

sorry for the ranting,

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

Banta Fodder.

As Kadman says, its not a common build here, but there are a few
    (hard to find) tradesmen around who would under take this.

I'm sure that Goodwood Solutions (seller) would reccommend installers and follow on trades if they did not undertake this themselves.

Would you consider building a traditional platform type construction Timber Frame kit, with Semi-Log cladding;.
    --> Better thermal performance, easy to build, many expierenced trades to follow on, same visually/astethically.

I have seen some nice cabins in South Wicklow mts using canadian red cedar semi-log cladding on tf kits, beautiful....

YAPP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Do you need planning permission for a log cabin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

YAPP wrote:
    Would you consider building a traditional platform type construction Timber Frame kit, with Semi-Log cladding;.
    --> Better thermal performance, easy to build, many expierenced trades to follow on, same visually/astethically.

I have seen some nice cabins in South Wicklow mts using canadian red cedar semi-log cladding on tf kits, beautiful....

YAPP

I am looking at different solutions myself and that doesn't sound too bad, but herself has settled on a log build. Just have to convince her.

Realistically we are just trying to find an alternative to a 3 bed €300,000 shoe box in a cul-de-sac in Clondalkin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I am looking at different solutions myself and that doesn't sound too bad, but herself has settled on a log build. Just have to convince her.

Realistically we are just trying to find an alternative to a 3 bed €300,000 shoe box in a cul-de-sac in Clondalkin.
    I'd love to do the same myself, the only problem being finding a piece of land that is not in the middle of nowhere, and not priced at a level that only property developers can afford. It seems that most building plots anywhere near centres of civilisation in this country are snapped up by property developers eager to build as many yuppy appartments as possible to maximize their investment rather than being available to people who just want to build a house that has any degree of individuality and design to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We have been looking at 0.5 acre sites in the likes of Naas etc for about 30k. Not bad and the commute on a bike to the city wouldn't take to long. The thing I keep telling myself is "I don't want to rent for the rest of my life".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have been looking at 0.5 acre sites in the likes of Naas etc for about 30k. Not bad and the commute on a bike to the city wouldn't take to long. The thing I keep telling myself is "I don't want to rent for the rest of my life".
    That's pretty cheap ... pity I don't want to live in Naas though :)

Yapps idea of an external cladded, traditional tf jit, is definitely a quicker more conventional form of construction , that will give you the same aesthetic look.

Conventional log cabin construction, using square planed all round machined moulded logs, are also insulated internally with horizonatal battens fixed at 400-600 centres and insulated between battens, so they should also perform well .

Western red cedar does look excellent visually, and is a very durable timber.
    But its adw ( average dried weight) is only 23lb ft3 , compared to say Larch at 37lb ft3,. So it is regarded as one of the softest softwoods. This characteristic makes it a soft and brittle timber, that is very easily damaged.

It is with out doubt the easiest damaged timber apart from balsa wood. :eek:

So if you have children that are every bit as destructive as a delta force team, choose your cladding wisely. :D:D

But I have to agree with Yapp, this is a good route to go, even for self build, so long as you counter batten the external of your tf kit, to allow good ventilation , and air flow behind the cladding.

Good site explaining fundamental requirements in relation to external cladding, in particular pay attention to the single fixing in each board edge to allow movement across the width.

http://www.stourhead.com/external_cladding.htm
    http://www.stourhead.com/species.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

Kadman,

Glad to see we do agree on something for once..

YAPP :D

• Advertisement

YAPP wrote:
    Kadman,

Glad to see we do agree on something for once..

YAPP :D

I think it's twice now , is it, :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I'm thinking of going down this route, anyone actually use these guys at GoodWood Solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

K-TRIC wrote:
    We have been looking at 0.5 acre sites in the likes of Naas etc for about 30k.
    :eek: :eek:

more like €230k in Naas for a 1/2 acre

on a side note and this is to kadman, do you think a surveyor that is specifically trained is required to do a snag list on a log cabin or would any surveyor do? I'll be needing one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

One of my guys from Finland is an Engineer and is experienced with Log Cabins Lex, if you need somebody independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Hi there,

A friend of mine who is a civil engineer with more than 10 years experience in construction built his own log house about 3 years ago in Cork. He has since designed houses and supplied other people with the wood (imported from Finland) and is now able to offer anything from a basic supply of the house materials all the way up to a turn-key, finished product. He has his own builders etc. If you are interested, pm me and I can give you his number. He's in the south of the country but might travel if necessary.:)

Lex Luthor wrote:
    :eek: :eek:

more like €230k in Naas for a 1/2 acre

on a side note and this is to kadman, do you think a surveyor that is specifically trained is required to do a snag list on a log cabin or would any surveyor do? I'll be needing one soon.

Hi Lex,

Affirmative.

I think a surveyor for timber frame, especially a log cabin build, whether its a traditional log cabin construction , or a machined interlocking log construction, needs to have the full understanding of using solid timber material for construction ..

Unfortunately some of our surveyors have not managed to grasp the concept of standard timber panel construction for our " so called " timber frame house, let alone log cabin construction .

Standard surveyor will catch the obvious snags, a good surveyor with excellent timberframe construction will catch them all.

Good timber construction experience , especially site experience hands on , would be my ideal preference . Architects , surveyors, or engineers do not necessarily make the best choices.

kadman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Viking House & Gibs, thanks for your replies. The house will be in Cavan and I'll be looking for an inspection in the next 3-4 weeks.

Can you ask your friends can they do an inspection there and if so to contact me. You can PM me for my number.

Kadman, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

My father built a 2 bedroom log house. He got it from vehasen. It looks really good, and I'm well impressed with the end result. It was a self build btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

My colleague can visit your site in Cavan but he is very particular.
    Here is his email address mauri@viking-house.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

EHHHH €20 for their broucher??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Has anybody used the GoodWood solutions company?
    I have been researching this method of building for about a year now on and off and have found that they seem to be the best option for a turn key solution.

I got a quote of them for
    total area of 99m2 or 1,069ft2 excluding the deck and
    balcony. A budgetary price for this design based on our standard
    specifications is EUR 74,000 including the log kit materials and delivery to
    your site in Ireland. An estimate of the labour cost for our team to erect
    the major structural parts of the kit would be an additional EUR 21,400.

This doesnt include roof tile, kitchen, bathroom, electrics, and other cosmetic pieces. So for 100k i would have a weather tight home ready for out fitting.
    I'm very intrigued to hear peoples thoughts on the company?
    I know there a member of the Honka group who are a global provider of log cabin homes and all there homes come with a CE mark of quality.

I have been following there progress on a show house for a family in Clare which is just finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Kitric,

In repsponse to your initial enquiry, I purchased some time ago from www.duskview.com and am very happy with the whole product. They bring their kits in from Kontio in Finland. I know that they can organise to bring in a kit for a private site if needs be but I haven;t a clue what kind of money you would be talking about. Our family absolutely love it and the workmanship is second to none.

Lex, you may remember me on this forum about a year ago or more seeking advice on the whole thing ...... well I took the plunge and it worked out thankfully !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abbeywisp

Hi,

has anyone had a log cabin built by jpk homes.ie?

We're looking into having one built and really like the models they feature..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ddunleav

abbeywisp wrote: »
    Hi,

has anyone had a log cabin built by jpk homes.ie?

We're looking into having one built and really like the models they feature..
    Hi,
    My boyfriend & myself are also looking into building a log home, we went to Classic group their web is www.classicgroup.eu they have a show log home on their site which gives you a fair idea of the work, they are situated on the way to Carlow.
    However I think they have only built two homes.
    We are looking at various companies at the mo have not heard if jpk homes are good or bad, it seems like goodwood solutions are another fairly well known company the other option we are thinking of is importing from Canada.
    We are finding it very hard to get info or advice from people, so all is welcome please!!!

Oh, I haven't come across them - I'll check them out. I wonder if they do a complete turn-key package.....

Pity they only have 2 homes built though - I'd feel more confident if they had a bigger portfolio.

I'm not sure how many jpk log homes have built.

abbeywisp wrote: »
    Oh, I haven't come across them - I'll check them out. I wonder if they do a complete turn-key package.....

Pity they only have 2 homes built though - I'd feel more confident if they had a bigger portfolio.

I'm not sure how many jpk log homes have built.
    Yeah I think the same about that, but we went & talked with a couple who had their log home built by them, its really nice & they were really happy with the service.
    Well the guy who does the houses can sort out getting the foundations, plumbing, wiring done for the house - you pay for this though.
    As far as I know with any log home its up to you to do this & pay yourself - often you have to find the ppl to do this, which I would presume can be hard enough esp cos its a log home not block.
    Kitchen, sanitary ware is your own problem! I think they sort out windows, stairs, doors.
    From what we have researched so far it seems as though with log homes they will build the house, do windows, stairs, doors then its up to you to sort out your kitchen, kitchen appliances, bathrooms, sanitary ware and fireplaces. From what I know so far its important to make sure the wiring & plumbing is done as the house is going up not after.
    We are finding it hard to get info thou cos there isnt many log homes around only the cabins, we would like to know is it really better than a traditional home and is cheaper to build?

I think jpkloghomes do provide a complete walk-in package.... as far as I remember....

it's still at early stages for us - we probably won't be building for a few years -

my main worry isn't that they don't make good homes, just that we choose a company that is competent and isn't too new to it in Ireland...

I much prefer wooden houses than they type of homes usually built here.... the average semi-detached estate in Ireland looks crap unless there is mature vegetation covering them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

woodyg wrote: »
    Has anybody used the GoodWood solutions company?
    I have been researching this method of building for about a year now on and off and have found that they seem to be the best option for a turn key solution.
    quote]

We have used goodwood solutions. We are now in our second log cabin. They built our first one! And never ever again would I go near them. They are great for sales but not for the build. I had researched wear and what house I was going to bring in. Even going over to Finland to see house.

Becouse I chose to go with a diffent Finish company than the one that supplies them it turned in to a complete and utter nightmare.

When I got them to price constrution the quote was fair and was told they had no problem building another company's log cabin. Then starting with the fondations up it still angers me. They poured the foundation, had my engineer not been there, there would have been no steel in the concrete! Then the blocks! They put in the wrong places and tried to charge me for fixing there mistake.

When they where laying the first logs, about 10 logs up, I came home from work and it did not look right. So off the the hardware shop for level and square. It was over 5 inches out of level and completely unsquare. I will not name names, but turned around and said don't be stupid it will be pulled level and square once the roof goes on!! I kid you not!

Then it was the daily phone call, having "lost the drawings" "logs not delivered! Having to leave work and show them where the logs where." Pure and utter ignorence. Every turn they tried to sabatage the house.

The finally two last things, billing being builded for works not completed! Then interior they had used very large nails to put on the interior cladding. It was unbelievable! For a finish, I ended up getting in a local craftsman to finish the job and just got rid of them. He was there for about 2 months repairing the damage they had done to my home. Then they had the nerve to send me on a bill for completed works???????????????

When the site of my dreams came up, we managed to get it. I love the log cabins so much. We decided to build again but this time. We got the local craftsman, his apprentice and a labourer. It took them four months to complete the house and was a pleasure and a joy to work with them. They loved doing the build as much as I loved the house.

Goodwood solutions way overprice!!! Rude! And will try and bill you for works not done!

The other thing that they did was leave logs laying on the ground and would leave the site and not cover the logs. You have to keep them off the ground and protected while you are building. Every day coming home from work I knew it would take about two hours to clean up the site. Cover logs pick them up off the ground. Often thrown in mud clean them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

OP watch Grand Designs on C4 tonight. Its about a guy importing and building a log cabin type home from Finland.

• Advertisement

hardly work'n,
    you seem to be in the know about these types of homes, do you have any other advice about them? (other than to stay clear of goodwood solutions!!) really interested in building one, they look great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement