Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North Cork / South Limerick

Options
  • 19-10-2020 2:28am

Anyone involved in the forum from these parts ?

I’ve a family member investigating land in this area, currently around the Bohernagore and Mitchelstown areas, with the intention of buying up enough to start an animal sanctuary.

When I get back to Ireland, hopefully before the end of the year, I’ll be down that direction to help her look. I’ll be investing with her.

We want an animal sanctuary that has disabled access to allow all children the opportunity to join in.

The long term intention would be to save as many farm animals as is possible and for it to be a holiday destination where children have access to farm animals and we can educate about their needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Not from North Cork myself but on passing through I have seen this:

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

unable to help as I'm not from there but just want to wish you the best with it. Great initiative

Thanks for that.

I’ll advise my cousin to contact those guys and have a chat.

I’d personally prefer to locate it in the East maybe 1 (maximum 1.5) hours from Dublin but she has a love interest down south so a compromise may be the best option.

I don’t see any reason not to have it close to the most densely populated County though as that way we can reach and educate more children/people. There is huge amount of countryside within 30 minutes of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Im in that area, what size of a plot are they thinking of buying?

Being close to the Ballyhouras would be a plus, theres some good quality farmland around too which would fetch a higher price per acre, however theres also lesser quality land around the hilly areas.

Im in that area, what size of a plot are they thinking of buying?

Being close to the Ballyhouras would be a plus, theres some good quality farmland around too which would fetch a higher price per acre, however theres also lesser quality land around the hilly areas.

Thanks for that. I don’t think the quality of farmland will be that important. I don’t see it being a big operation. But I suppose you never know where something will end up.

I’ve realised a couple of things recently but one in particular that I’m disappointed I overlooked until it was pointed out to me.

I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and spend a few weeks down there, when (if ever with covid) I get home, to get a feel for the place and different areas. So having areas to check out is good. I don’t want to be lead solely by my cousin who would have more local knowledge.

As the main investor (donator most likely) and as someone that would definitely like the option to be onsite as much as I wanted, whether it be 1 day or 6 months a year, I might want it closer to home in the North East and also for the reach it would have in terms of numbers of people and also to reach more ‘city’ folk. Children who don’t get the opportunity to meet a variety of animals.

However, it was said to me (and again annoyed I overlooked it) that it may not be the best idea to
    invest heavily and locate the project based on where my cousins partner lives.

She, my cousin, would be 365 onsite. This would be her job, passion and life. She would be the consistent driving force. So what happens if her relationship breaks down ? Would she still want to be in the area. I’d overlooked that possibility.

So I’m thinking the North East may just be the best bet. Although if they were to get married that would change things again and I’d be more likely to allow her to choose the location.

I suppose ultimately I don’t care where it happens so long as it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thanks for that. I don’t think the quality of farmland will be that important. I don’t see it being a big operation. But I suppose you never know where something will end up.

I’ve realised a couple of things recently but one in particular that I’m disappointed I overlooked until it was pointed out to me.

I think I’ll have to bite the bullet and spend a few weeks down there, when (if ever with covid) I get home, to get a feel for the place and different areas. So having areas to check out is good. I don’t want to be lead solely by my cousin who would have more local knowledge.

As the main investor (donator most likely) and as someone that would definitely like the option to be onsite as much as I wanted, whether it be 1 day or 6 months a year, I might want it closer to home in the North East and also for the reach it would have in terms of numbers of people and also to reach more ‘city’ folk. Children who don’t get the opportunity to meet a variety of animals.

However, it was said to me (and again annoyed I overlooked it) that it may not be the best idea to
    invest heavily and locate the project based on where my cousins partner lives.

She, my cousin, would be 365 onsite. This would be her job, passion and life. She would be the consistent driving force. So what happens if her relationship breaks down ? Would she still want to be in the area. I’d overlooked that possibility.

So I’m thinking the North East may just be the best bet. Although if they were to get married that would change things again and I’d be more likely to allow her to choose the location.

I suppose ultimately I don’t care where it happens so long as it does happen.

I know what you mean, when relationships are involved it complicates things alot.

Definitely think it out more, check out the both areas and talk to your cousin/partner about your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

If I can add my 2c here.

The constant fundraising for sanctuaries must be heavy going. Possibly consider adding some revenue generation onsite, Cafe, ability to stay over (lodgings, camp etc), merch, social presence with donation ability. No doubt you will have Vet bills, ongoing feed costs, site maintenance.

I wish you the very best of luck in your venture and thank you for all you're doing.

It’ll be self funding.

I’ve two very clear ideas for generating money onsite.

Still no closer to deciding on either.

I know what I want but red tape/H&S may prevent my preferred choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Just a suggestion but would you consider planting cobnut trees? Perfect for the Irish climate and you get a decent price when selling the hazel nuts. Not sure if you'd get access to forestry grants too but it's worth looking into.

Advertisement