Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is medical advice not allowed?

• 07-08-2020 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Yet it's allowed on many other forums? I've never understood it. On Reddit, there's a subreddit where people can diagnose medical conditions. They do have a disclaimer that the subreddit is not a replacement for a doctor but they still allow anyone to give advice.

Is it an Irish law or what?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It bears mentioning the net worth of Reddit is $3 Billion. They can swat any potential lawsuit like water off a ducks back.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi mr_fegelien,

There is no Irish law against it that I'm aware of. However, there are plenty of things allowed on Reddit and other forums that aren't here. It was simply a rule that was decided upon, as it's not be a great idea to have people giving or accepting medical advice (or legal advice) from random strangers. Instead, they should go to a qualified individual who will be able to look at the specifics of their case and decide on a course of action from there.

There are online resources available if people do want to consult the internet for medical advice (even though WebMD's diagnosis always seem to range from common cold to the Black Death), but it was decided that Boards didn't need to be one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,271 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because it's potentially dangerous to allow random people on the internet to remotely diagnose ailments that they may or may not have any medical training in. Forget about lawsuits or anything like that, it would be unbelievably irresponsible for Boards to allow people's health to be played around with like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"I am not a doctor, but here is my medical opinion" doesn't mean the same thing in every jurisdiction. In the US, disclaimers have far more power than they do here. No matter how much you acknowledge and advertise your lack of qualifications, providing advice that could be reasonably foreseen to cause harm, will land you in trouble. Legal and medical advice (as well as others) are also covered by specific legal protections.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't think Reddit runs Irish servers or any other physical presence in Ireland either which would further complicate any potential suit against they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Most people will use Doctor Google, or give the diagnosis of someone they knew with similar symptoms. Both of these tend to give a worst case scenario.

If someone if concerned enough to ask about symptoms they need to visit their GP who will refer them for tests if necessary.

Imagine someone describing the symptoms of an allergy or common cold now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Most people will use Doctor Google, or give the diagnosis of someone they knew with similar symptoms. Both of these tend to give a worst case scenario.

If someone if concerned enough to ask about symptoms they need to visit their GP who will refer them for tests if necessary.

Imagine someone describing the symptoms of an allergy or common cold now?

Thing is, not everyone has enough money to fork out €60+ euro to go see a GP who might just downplay the symptoms.

I would agree with you if medical coverage was free in this country.

Only have to look at the damage anti vacation sites and Facebook groups etc do and those stupid enough to believe them cause to see why. If your sick go to your doctor and don't be listening to randomers online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Thing is, not everyone has enough money to fork out €60+ euro to go see a GP who might just downplay the symptoms.

Go to Reddit then if you know you can get free medical advice there. Are you looking for a free second opinion on boards? :)

You should advocate for self prescription to go with the self diagnosis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Go to Reddit then if you know you can get free medical advice there. Are you looking for a free second opinion on boards? :)

You should advocate for self prescription to go with the self diagnosis.

WebMD does exist and I've used it but the doctors can only diagnose specific symptoms and prescribe a limited range of medicines.

• Advertisement

WebMD does exist and I've used it but the doctors can only diagnose specific symptoms and prescribe a limited range of medicines.

What about Reddit? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well imagine if people like your good self were allowed to give medical advice based on your opinion.

How do you think that would end?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Well imagine if people like your good self were allowed to give medical advice based on your opinion.

How do you think that would end?

That’s cruel. Completely justified but still cruel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zaph wrote: »
    Because it's potentially dangerous to allow random people on the internet to remotely diagnose ailments that they may or may not have any medical training in. Forget about lawsuits or anything like that, it would be unbelievably irresponsible for Boards to allow people's health to be played around with like that.
    OP, here is your answer. Site rules are not going to change on this particular issue and there is nothing more to discuss

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement