Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wow they did a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I don't believe they got from where they left them to here both with their budget and skill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I don't believe they got from where they left them to here both with their budget and skill

I know, it’s a pity the tv show insist on the drama, say it’s hopeless, then hey presto it’s all amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,119 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I love the paint job in the bedroom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They did in fairness to the them. Incredible hard graft put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Great result - they did a brilliant job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

yop wrote: »
    They did in fairness to the them. Incredible hard graft put in.

Really? Fair play if so, I just find it a stretch that 1 woman and 2 contractors could finish what's essentially a boutique hotel in 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Love it. Can’t believe my 3 bed semi D, is worth more/ costs more !!!

Big house for two people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The sheep are gas :)

Lovely finish. Can't fault anything really, though mannequins would probably scare the bejaysus out of me :D

I'd a feeling they were going to do some type of business as a massive property for 2 people.

• Advertisement

Really? Fair play if so, I just find it a stretch that 1 woman and 2 contractors could finish what's essentially a boutique hotel in 18 months

They also had the 3 "volunteers", I'd say they got more than they bargained for, god love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Honestly can’t see how it cost only €500k including the purchase price.
    Thought they were mad to take on the hassle but fair play to them. They’ve really left a legacy.
    Beautiful home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

digzy wrote: »
    Honestly can’t see how it cost only €500k including the purchase price.
    Thought they were mad to take on the hassle but fair play to them. They’ve really left a legacy.
    Beautiful home.

Cost them 117k and they put 500k into it. Massive spend but its incredible.
    Would love to know the value of it now.
    Parking is tight there but you'd never even guess its there, aside from the mannequin in the window :)

yop wrote: »
    Cost them 117k and they put 500k into it. Massive spend but its incredible.
    Would love to know the value of it now.
    Parking is tight there but you'd never even guess its there, aside from the mannequin in the window :)

You are Clearly not living in a city. 617k is far from a massive spend.

ted1 wrote: »

Not even relevant as to where I live.

500k to spend on a renovation in Westport is massive money.

Otherwise yes spending 617k on a shoebox in Dublin isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

ted1 wrote: »

It looked more a labour of love vs an investment.
    They’ve no kids so I guess it changes ones perspectives

Airy regards parking they seemed to have a big drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Money pit in the arsehole of nowhere.

I used to give a hand to a neighbour who was a surveyor part time for a good few years when I was younger and when I see a house like that I get cold and goosebumps, even in Summer they were always like walking into the big fridge in a hotel kitchen, loads of them dotted around Galway and the West. However they built them the technique should be exported to Australia and other countries that run a lot of air-con, they're literally impossible to warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I always think these people are stone mad but it would be a shame to see these kind of houses fall into an unrepairable state

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I hope these two can get the house done - massive job. Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Charles must have been printing money in London.

Charles came across as abit of an ar$ehole. There didn't seem to be alot of praise for ronan. But then again he may just be totally fed up at this stage too.

Was the house listed? I know they had to get a grant for removing plaster. I'm very much on the fence about listed buildings, while I do think it's important to retain a build too many conditions will make it a task too big to complete so it will fall into further disrepair and be lost anyway.

But anyway back on point, if it wasn't listed it would have been cheaper to knock and rebuild.

The finish itself was lovely. Ronan has a great eye.

Once the garden takes hold, it will give a proper finish to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Thargor wrote: »
    Money pit in the arsehole of nowhere.

Money pit maybe, arsehole of nowhere? A cracking house on 9 acres of gorgeous countryside. Bliss more like. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's a pity so much was left out. How did they manage the cornicing? What was the state of plumbing, insulation, windows? Plus, if the money had run out, how did they invest in a whole new heating system? I like these programmes, but so much skipped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

madmaggie wrote: »
    It's a pity so much was left out. How did they manage the cornicing? What was the state of plumbing, insulation, windows? Plus, if the money had run out, how did they invest in a whole new heating system? I like these programmes, but so much skipped over.

Was I the only one who found it infuriating?? Pretending they had "run out of money" and could only fund their refurbishment by "drip-feeding" Charles' salary! Meanwhile, half-way through the show, we find out about their (very valuable) London house, which they have decided to keep and rent out!

Didn't suit the narrative, I suppose, to say that that they had decided to keep their million-pound London pied-a-terre while they shoestringed their Irish labour of love!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What a frustrating programme to watch.:D We were never going to get the full picture but Wallace should stop waffling about colours and fabrics and give us an overview of the practical problems with a Georgian house like this. Even the history section mentioned only one mad previous owner.
    As for the boys attempts - a bit self indulgent ? That chocolate Victorian library was horrible.:eek:

recipio wrote: »
    As for the boys attempts - a bit self indulgent ? That chocolate Victorian library was horrible.:eek:

Ah if you can't be self-indulgent in your own home where can you be? :)

Agreed not best episode, most of it centred on ronans shopping habit.

Ah if you can't be self-indulgent in your own home where can you be? :)

Agreed not best episode, most of it centred on ronans shopping habit.

Ha Ha. If and when they come to sell the house they will find a Victorian library and over ornate cornices may put people off. Its a pity they couldn't stick to period restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I enjoy watching and have huge admiration for anyone that takes on such a project. However, I really wish they would focus on the practical side of things instead of decor and soft furnishings. The editing is terrible, I know they can only squeeze so much into an hour but they seem to go from the impossible task to showing Hugh around the finished product in 5 minutes.
    I'd love to see them focus on the approach to living in such houses, heating, insulation, plumbing etc.

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    I enjoy watching and have huge admiration for anyone that takes on such a project. However, I really wish they would focus on the practical side of things instead of decor and soft furnishings. The editing is terrible, I know they can only squeeze so much into an hour but they seem to go from the impossible task to showing Hugh around the finished product in 5 minutes.
    I'd love to see them focus on the approach to living in such houses, heating, insulation, plumbing etc.

Totally agree. Restoration should be sensitive to the period of the house. I cringed when I saw the infra red heaters going in - there were even cast iron radiators in the bedrooms which surely could be brought back into service.? The cheapo small extension with the galvanized roof didn't get a mention and why were they spending money on landscaping when the house was still a wreck.?
    Better editing and script needed methinks.

Advertisement