Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Retard isn't really a polite word to use in debate.

As a noun, no.

The adjective form can be OK though, depending on context. Describing someone as retarded, not OK. Describing something's development or progress as retarded can be OK.

Also, if you're writing in French, it's a perfectly OK word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The thread on Jk Rowling descending into posters calling black people ‘blacks’ and calling gay people a culture of death. Disgusting.

Reporting is useless as mods just stalk the person who has reported to find any kind of infraction.

I disagree on that.

Oh, hang on. I've just seen the rest of your posts. I'll be leaving you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Along with, potentially, adding the “r-word” to the censored words list might I, also, suggest getting rid of the “multi-quote” function?

I mean, let’s be honest, it only “encourages” the, insufferable, site bores.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Define irony?

A poster who must surely to jaysis have the "quotation mark" button on his keyboard - worn down to a nub, wanting rid of the "multi quote" function.

You couldn't "write" this sh1t. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

McMurphy wrote: »
    Define irony?

A poster who must surely to jaysis have the "quotation mark" button on his keyboard - worn down to a nub, wanting rid of the "multi quote" function.

You couldn't "write" this sh1t. :D

Do you not know how the “function” works, M? Oh, that’s right, you prefer the, more deranged looking, “combination” posting.

5 or 6 individual replies in a row over the course of a couple of minutes. Looking like someone, who thinks they are smart, playing a number of chess matches at once in the park and losing, badly, in every one.

Never a good “look”, pal.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Do you not know how the “function” works, M? Oh, that’s right, you prefer the, more deranged looking, “combination” posting.

5 or 6 individual replies in a row over the course of a couple of minutes. Looking like someone, who thinks they are smart, playing a number of chess matches at once in the park and losing, badly, in every one.

Never a good “look”, pal.

You're "reading too much" into my post, "pal".

The irony of a poster, who for unknown reasons places inverted commas/quotation marks in the most random places in his posts (fcuk knows why) to be wanting shot of the multi quote function is, as I said "irony".

That's the beginning and the end of it "E", came across as a bit "comical" bud, I actually thought you were "yanking a chain":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Could we get rid of quotation marks altogether?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

EmmetSpiceland and McMurphy, give up the tit for tat there. No more discussion of the quotation marks though it would be great if everyone could use them correctly.

Let's get back on topic please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A Describing something's development or progress as retarded can be OK.

Also, if you're writing in French, it's a perfectly OK word.

These use cases were exactly what I had in mind when I posted, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think I mentioned this before but what is the story with commenting on the weight of people who are in the public sphere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think Trump is fair game....

It just reflects society in that there is no actual fat acceptance or body appreciation. It was a facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,622 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The US election is a couple weeks out and we are seeing a rash of new accounts, several of which aren't in good faith, others of which claim to be re-regging. Can we have a minimum post count and account age to post in these threads?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Overheal wrote: »
    The US election is a couple weeks out and we are seeing a rash of new accounts, several of which aren't in good faith, others of which claim to be re-regging. Can we have a minimum post count and account age to post in these threads?
    The US election is no more an important topic than any other in the Forum. We can't start having specific postcount rules for specific threads

• Registered Users Posts: 81,622 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah after I posted I realized how much bandwidth that would take and how impractical it would actually be.

Yeah after I posted I realized how much bandwidth that would take and how impractical it would actually be.

I'm inclined to say the people who are there to wind up will disappear in 3 weeks or so which is a positive at least.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm inclined to say the people who are there to wind up will disappear in 3 weeks or so which is a positive at least.

They'll all be over in the Conspiracy Theories Forum - someone else's problem then

:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    They'll all be over in the Conspiracy Theories Forum - someone else's problem then

:pac:

Cold! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Beasty wrote:

Cold!

If you miss them around, just say the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just ban Russian IPs, problem solved :P

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

So let me get this straight ...

In the DT threads you can call Trump a rapist, a moron, an idiot, a c*** (and of course, IMPOTUS) but users are banned from calling Joe Biden 'sleepy' ??

Don't go changing, Boards.ie, don't go changing :P

In the DT threads you can call Trump a rapist, a moron, an idiot, a c*** (and of course, IMPOTUS) but users are banned from calling Joe Biden 'sleepy' ??

Well the list for trump is actually accurate. I'd imagine if Biden came out with the grab them by the pus*y line the trump supporters would be having a attack of the vapors rather than saying that it was an example of consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Whats wrong with IMPOTUS? IMpeached POTUS. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't be disingenuous, Timber.

Don't be disingenuous, Timber.

Might help if you didn't link to a site know for scamming people.

Whats wrong with IMPOTUS? IMpeached POTUS. Nothing wrong with that.

It should be IPOTUS, or ImPOTUS, at a stretch, (maybe even iPotUS)...

It should be IPOTUS, or ImPOTUS, at a stretch, (maybe even iPotUS)...

Talk to George Conway, he's the one that came up with #IMPOTUS.

Talk to George Conway, he's the one that came up with #IMPOTUS.

I don't think he posts on Boards

• Advertisement

I don't think he posts on Boards

Ah well, I guess I'll just continue to use the #IMPOTUS that he created as it seems to be the correct and most popular one out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement