Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega 3 Vegan supplement and RDA

• 24-08-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi there ,

Does anybody here use a Vegan Omega 3 supplement? I am looking for an economical one.

I'd also like to know the RDA of Omega 3 ALA and DHA or EPA. Honestly I find it a bit confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Hi
    I take Vegetology's high strength 835mg Omega 3 supplement which also contains 200ui of plant D3, called Opti3. It offers all the benefits of fish oil Omega 3 without concerns about impurities and contaminants.

60 capsules, for €19.99. works out at 66c per day.
    https://www.vegetology.com/shop/opti3-omega-3-epa-dha

They recommend you take two a day but I take only one per day as I take two tablespoons of milled flaxseed ( has to be milled to readily digest it ) and also chia seeds ( in cereal breakfast or shakes ).

"Fish is a tough one. On one hand, fish has preformed DHA and EPA, but, on the other hand, our oceans have become so polluted that seafood may also contain various pollutants, including dioxins, PCBs, pesticides like DDT, flame-retardant chemicals, and heavy metals, including mercury, lead, and cadmium, all of which can negatively affect human health. Dietary exposure to PCBs, for example, is associated with increased risk of stroke in general and an almost three times higher risk of hemorrhagic stroke. Unless you live next to a toxic waste dump, the major  source of exposure to PCBs is fish consumption. Salmon may be the worst."

https://nutritionfacts.org/2018/09/25/do-flaxseeds-offer-sufficient-omega-3s-for-our-heart/

You can also find omegas in
    Brussels Sprouts.
    Hemp Seeds
    Walnuts.
    Perilla Oil.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm sure there are some other vegans lurking about the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I've taken these in the past, the site has lots of information on quantities per capsule and recommended amounts etc. Must order more as ive run out! They do special offers if you buy multiples so they work out cheaper.

https://omvits.com/products/vegan-omega-3-dha-60-capsules#

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Best one ever the one I take is Holland & Barrett Vegetarian flaxseed (linseed oil) 500mg
    Omega 3,6&9 Suitable for Vegetarians & VEGANS softgel Veggie capsules.

CVB

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

thanks for replies some of my own research here is that flaxseed or linseed oil/ seeds will give you long chain omegas 3-6-9 which can be converted to EPA and DHA but although the exact rates are debatable there is a general consensus out there that very little ALA is converted into EPA and DHA

A quick google ;

"Omega-3 conversions
    ALA, the most common omega-3 fat, is not biologically active until it's converted into EPA or DHA, which are essential for your body ( 3 ). However, this conversion process is inefficient in humans. On average, only 1–10% of ALA is converted into EPA and 0.5–5% into DHA ( 4 , 5 , 6 , 22 ).May 27, 2019"

Alage however , which fish eat to get there high omega 3 can give vegans EPA and DHA direct.

So based on that I am taking a flaxseed or linseed oil cap a day plus a tablespoon of chia and every second or third day I take two algae oil caps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Worztron

I also take the Vegetology one like auspicious. Have also taken these: https://www.veganicity.com/Omega-3-DHA-EPA-500mg.html

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement