Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job creation is the be all and end all now?

Options
  • 21-05-2019 11:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭

Every time there's a new jobs announcement it's met with joy. But when is enough enough? Why is the end goal always more jobs?

Have you seen public transport? Trains already wedged, roads clogged up, people stuck in traffic for hours every day.

We are at historically low unemployment. Salaries are increasing due to the labour shortage (minimum wage workers not increasing by same amount) thus increasing wealth inequality.

I could get this sentiment if we were just coming out of recession but most people who want a job can get one. You may say the number of highly paid jobs increases but so does the low paid ones that exist today.

Tax take will obviously increase but I have yet to see any real investment in public transport, roads, amenities because of this or are adequate enough.

I'm not saying new jobs are bad. If they were being created in rural towns it would allow people to stay local instead of having to move up to the cities but this isn't happening.

What about the quality of life of workers rather than the number of workers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Every time there's a new jobs announcement it's met with joy. But when is enough enough? Why is the end goal always more jobs?

Have you seen public transport? Trains already wedged, roads clogged up, people stuck in traffic for hours every day.

We are at historically low unemployment. Salaries are increasing due to the labour shortage (minimum wage workers not increasing by same amount) thus increasing wealth inequality.

I could get this sentiment if we were just coming out of recession but most people who want a job can get one. You may say the number of highly paid jobs increases but so does the low paid ones that exist today.

Tax take will obviously increase but I have yet to see any real investment in public transport, roads, amenities because of this or are adequate enough.

I'm not saying new jobs are bad. If they were being created in rural towns it would allow people to stay local instead of having to move up to the cities but this isn't happening.

Gerry - ye took the soup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Odhinn wrote: »
    Gerry - ye took the soup?

Soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Soup?

The soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Have you seen the talk of cutting to a 3/4 day week, OP? Might ease some of the congestion you mentioned.

I suppose more jobs working less hours with more pay would be ideal but that will hardly be the case.

You'd wonder what Karl Marx would do OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You'd wonder what Karl Marx would do OP.

My brother knows Karl Marx.

Bob Harris wrote: »

How often do you visit him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Well i dunno now its nice having a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People don't want to live in our rural towns so why should businesses set up there? If people did actually live in rural towns then businesses would set up in them. Instead they set up where there are large amounts of people, big cities of which we barely have 1, with good connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Alot of the big jobs are in multi nationals for highly skilled/qualified people and been filled by foreign workers coming in to the country and mainly dublin at that. Its jobs out side Dublin and perhaps less skilled that are needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

If you want people in rural towns then put jobs there. It is the only way people will relocate or stay there. Jobs will attract people and the services to an extent will follow. Personally why anyone would like in Dublin is beyond me apart from work reasons.

Well i dunno now its nice having a job.

I'm not saying to reduce current jobs. I'm just saying it's not the great thing getting all these jobs when we are at full employment.

Have you seen the talk of cutting to a 3/4 day week, OP? Might ease some of the congestion you mentioned.

I suppose more jobs working less hours with more pay would be ideal but that will hardly be the case.

If there were actual real discussions and possibility of this then sure...

Maybe in 15 years, by which time peoples youth will be gone. We've had the current housing crisis for about 7 years now. Take a college student graduating at that time, age 23.

That 23 year old has spent the last 7 years struggling for a place to live and putting up with the ****ty transport issues for all that time. That young graduate is now 30, approaching what should be time to have kids or buy a house. Instead, they're house sharing giving over loads of their salary, standing on the same sandwiched train.

neris wrote: »
    Alot of the big jobs are in multi nationals for highly skilled/qualified people and been filled by foreign workers coming in to the country and mainly dublin at that. Its jobs out side Dublin and perhaps less skilled that are needed

Yes exactly. People were loving the idea that all brexit finance jobs were coming over here. Except what happens is that the staff move over, competing for housing with people living here, driving up rents and house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP.
    You are oblivious to changes that happen, happening and already approved. You claim no investment in transport, did you miss the fact the Luas exists and was expanded?
    Unaware of the Metro Link?
    Not noticed the plans approved for a massive overhaul of road routes into the city centre.

All the graduates coming out of college need jobs too so we need to have jobs for them.

Besides missing everything and being way off the mark you are correct.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP.
    You are oblivious to changes that happen, happening and already approved. You claim no investment in transport, did you miss the fact the Luas exists and was expanded?
    Unaware of the Metro Link?
    Not noticed the plans approved for a massive overhaul of road routes into the city centre.

All the graduates coming out of college need jobs too so we need to have jobs for them.

Besides missing everything and being way off the mark you are correct.

The luas is absolutely wedged. It is not comfortable to use.

Metrolink is supposed to be open in 2027...another 8 years away. The route is getting chopped and changed and bits knocked off it already. I highly doubt it'll be ready in 2027.

There's plenty of jobs for graduates. There's a reason salaries are soaring, because there's not enough people for the jobs.

In any case, I can't get too much joy about new jobs for graduates when they have to move across the country and house share and use ****ty public transport for a job....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think many of the current generation of young people in Ireland have yet decided whether they want lax immigration or affordable housing.
    They seem to be under the illusion that you can have both simultaneously. The 'fixed resources' cornerstone-of-economics penny has not yet dropped.

I don't really care as an older person which option they go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I know a Mark Marx.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The luas is absolutely wedged. It is not comfortable to use.

Metrolink is supposed to be open in 2027...another 8 years away. The route is getting chopped and changed and bits knocked off it already. I highly doubt it'll be ready in 2027.

There's plenty of jobs for graduates. There's a reason salaries are soaring, because there's not enough people for the jobs.

In any case, I can't get too much joy about new jobs for graduates when they have to move across the country and house share and use ****ty public transport for a job....

So you'd prefer they didn't have jobs?

Seriously, I'm not getting your argument. You're complaining about transport. then you complain about transport improvements. then you complain about jobs being created and then you say you're not happy that there's jobs for college students.

You can see why this is a bit confusing.

Grayson wrote: »
    So you'd prefer they didn't have jobs?

Seriously, I'm not getting your argument. You're complaining about transport. then you complain about transport improvements. then you complain about jobs being created and then you say you're not happy that there's jobs for college students.

You can see why this is a bit confusing.

People retire too you know.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    I think many of the current generation of young people in Ireland have yet decided whether they want lax immigration or affordable housing.
    They seem to be under the illusion that you can have both simultaneously. The 'fixed resources' cornerstone-of-economics penny has not yet dropped.

I don't really care as an older person which option they go for.

It's not one or the other. It's possible to have both. Our problem is that our economy has recovered really fast from the recession and is booming. During the recession there was no development. And that's how we got to a point in about 5-6 years from having adequate housing to inadequate. And 5-6 years is a really short time for an economy.

Now I do think the government could do more. But I'm not sure there was much they could have done 6 years ago. Can you imagine encouraging development in a depressed housing market?

People retire too you know.

Your point is?

Honestly, sometimes it's hard to tell if someone has a really stupid argument or if they're trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Half these job announcements are BS. I worked for a company who made an announcement that they were taking on two hundred new employees, and at the same time they made around 30 people redundant. There were no new jobs, it was a PR exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Half these job announcements are BS. I worked for a company who made an announcement that they were taking on two hundred new employees, and at the same time they made around 30 people redundant. There were no new jobs, it was a PR exercise.

That's the Catholic church for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've seen it all now - people complaining about too many jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a moral dimension to having a job and a work ethic, its seen as a good thing, self-reliance, contributing, improving yourself are seen as morally good while not having a job is seen as moral failings laziness, etc.

Universal basic income is going to come in, in form or another so it will be intersting to see how work comes to be viewed in the future.

Lots of issue with a universial basic income.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've seen it all now - people complaining about too many jobs.

Why isn't it a valid concern? We're not in a recession anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Did he meet him eating mushrooms in the peoples park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

neris wrote: »

I believe the figure quoted by Prime Time was 64% of all new jobs taken by non-Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Diceicle wrote: »
    I believe the figure quoted by Prime Time was 64% of all new jobs taken by non-Irish
    unless I'm mistaken, the actual data says something different. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Meanwhile, accommodation and food services along with wholesale and retail trade, repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles, administrative and support service activities, manufacturing and the information and communication sectors made up 64% (263,076) of all foreign nationals employed here.

Advertisement