Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indian Caste system horrors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

A horrible place. Toilet of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Left silent as usual, but this is utterly despicable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48265387

Do you mean that you've been left silent, or that "the left" are silent?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

some cultures are worst than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

We should start calling the caste system what it actually is, Neo-Feudalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Although the largest democracy on Earth with 1bn folks is slowly improving, it still has some very serious issues ($1bn space program, whilst about 30% of it's youth are malnourished).

Can think of worse places: The Aceh province, located at the tip of Sumatra, the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country:
    They regularly dish out public (get the camera phones out) floggings (100 lashes or so) for irregularities such as cuddling, holding hands, having a wee pint, betting on favourite football team etc.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1096004/sharia-law-public-whipping-indonesia-flogging-bande-aceh-sumatra-islam

"An Indonesian woman was reportedly hospitalised after she was lashed 100 times in public, as punishment for being caught in a private place with a man she was not married to"
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-caning-100-times-hospital-indonesia-aceh-shariah-law-a7943491.html

OP starts a thread, always confident 'left' will feature. Never disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Although the largest democracy on Earth with 1bn folks is slowly improving, it still has some very serious issues ($1bn space program, whilst about 30% of it's youth are malnourished).

Can think of worse places: The Aceh province, located at the tip of Sumatra, the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country:
    They regularly dish out public (get the camera phones out) floggings (100 lashes or so) for irregularities such as cuddling, holding hands, having a wee pint, betting on favourite football team etc.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1096004/sharia-law-public-whipping-indonesia-flogging-bande-aceh-sumatra-islam

"An Indonesian woman was reportedly hospitalised after she was lashed 100 times in public, as punishment for being caught in a private place with a man she was not married to"
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-caning-100-times-hospital-indonesia-aceh-shariah-law-a7943491.html

A local school regularly sends TY students to Kolkata to "help" the impoverished locals, because there's 1'300'000'000 Indians in the country but they require 10 teenagers from Meath to travel across the world to "help" them. They must have some vital skills I just can't appreciate.

Of course this involves expensive fundraising, bucket collections/table quizzes etc. I generally decline to donate, reasoning that if a country can afford aircraft carriers, nuclear weapons and a space programme, they don't need my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

A horrible place. Toilet of the Earth.

Toilet_web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I learned Calcutta and Bombay in school and I ain't for changing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is there a "left" website where we might note the absence of this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

OP started this thread purely to get a little jab in at "the left", rather than to actually discuss the rampaging ****-hole that India is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

mikemac2 wrote: »

So its Kingstown for Dun Laoghaire and Queenstown for Cork with you so? Cop on.

India has what you could only call a veneer of democracy, local rule in all its medieval ways is what affects people's daily lives. Like so many other countries it is too big to be a nation, it should be maybe 10 countries, I mean the people of the Punjab have about as much in common with Tamil Nadu as we have with Cyprus or Bulgaria - some common ground but such that would be more suitable to a Commonwealth or Common Trade area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

mikemac2 wrote: »

Whatever about those 2, it's Madras that matters to most.

I mean "there once was a man from Chennai" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh its more interesting to criticise what Trump does. Apparently his opinions are more damaging and discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Very sad, his family are now destitute basically, that’s what happens in India when the men die, the family starve. Also many lower caste people are converting to other religions as this takes them out of the caste system.
    Disgusting culture to be honest, and it’s only the higher castes that are coming to populate the rest of the world...,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dunno whether I’m left or right but I’ve been horrified over so much that happens in India for years. Despite, I’m sure, being a beautiful country, it’s been on my ‘Will Not Visit’ list for years.

Same. No interest in visiting it. Awful that such a system is still in place.

I'd disagree with the poster saying Aceh is worse. I did a lot of research before visiting and while falling on the wrong side of Sharia is bad, there isn't a systemic brutality against a population of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sonics2k wrote: »
    OP started this thread purely to get a little jab in at "the left", rather than to actually discuss the rampaging ****-hole that India is.
    OP starts a thread, always confident 'left' will feature. Never disappointed.

Search his posting history just for the word "left", 55 mentions he is literally obsessed. Some highlights of just the last month
    Multiple previous convictions. Premeditated lengthy crime carried out on multiple desperate victims. Only the rabid far left could call this sentence excessive in my opinion
    Here we go. The far left telling us we all need to cram ourselves into dirty, polluted, crime ridden cities. No thanks
    McVerry is as far hard ultra left as you can get without renouncing God.
    It's a disgrace that this young woman died to satisfy the moronic "All my rivers run free" fantasy of these unemployed hard left Marxist assholes and the unemployed idiots who support them
    We know he runs as a democrat, but his voting history makes Trump look far left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Jamiekelly wrote: »

I'm not sure how neo you think it is considering it's older than the French or English feudal systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

[HTML][/HTML]
    Jamiekelly wrote: »

I dated a guy who moved to Ireland he was a 'Dalit' which is the lowest caste.

I actually thought he was Jamaican when i first met him. He's very dark and some hindu have dreads which i didn't know.

He said that if you touch something as a dalit that is from an upper class caste you can't give it back ...they have to keep it or throw it away ...its polluted now.

He said they are terrified of the upper castes. And the women from their caste are terribly exploited. Even if dalits have third level education it still follows them.

My ex had lived in Ireland for 6 yrs though. He was never going back.

The upper castes don't want to let them own things even if they have paid for them. And often people will charge them extra.

Dalits have extra taxes put on them and historically a lot of these taxes where aimed at Dalit women. There used to be this thing called 'The Breast Tax'. Women who were of the lower castes WERE NOT ALLOWED cover their breasts unless they paid the breast tax. It was highly humiliating.

One woman refused ..and covered herself without paying ....so a policeman came to her house and ordered her to pay or cut off her breasts. So she cut off her breasts. She died of blood loss. The king was forced to roll back the tax though.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36891356

Traditionally higher castes have tried to IMPOSE prostitution on lower caste women.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/caste-and-prostitution-in-india-politics-of-shame-and-of-exclusion-2332-0915-1000160.php?aid=69301

My ex used to say the attitude towards lower caste women still exists that they are there only for one thing. And also that this is some form of social ritual.
    When you point out this though. You can never do so in a way to further racism. If you do you are just as bad as the caste system you are a part of it. Feudalism is bad anywhere.

White people often take offense at innocuous things Asians do because they are Asian. Random attacks etc. Its the same thing.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh its more interesting to criticise what Trump does. Apparently his opinions are more damaging and discriminatory.

Its all the same injustice. Its all oppression. He wants to go back there.

I'm not sure how neo you think it is considering it's older than the French or English feudal systems.
    It exists now and has evolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Some monkey with "professor" before his name just got 250000€ to have his body recovered but the real hardship cases go ignored.

Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Varik wrote: »
    Whatever about those 2, it's Madras that matters to most.

I mean "there once was a man from Chennai" doesn't have the same ring to it.

True. I’d never get my head around calling it a chicken Chennai with rice either. Madras all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Search his posting history just for the word "left", 55 mentions he is literally obsessed. Some highlights of just the last month

I believe he once stubbed his toe on "the left" side of his bed once aswell.

He must get awfully triggered if he has to turn left in his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I always think education is the cure to things like this. The caste system is a
    The upper and lower classes in India are no different. To me a class system has no basis in reality anyway. The Indian system just takes it to psychotic levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Left?

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sonics2k wrote: »

I mention india here all the time. mainly when people have a go at muslims. The islamaphobic crowd never ask to ban hindu's. The right wing hindu's are horrible. They're also anti islam so that might be why the right wingers here tend not to include them when they call for a ban on muslims. Sexual harassment and sexual assault is on the rise.

There are plenty of moderates though. In this election Dalit community leaders are asking people to vote against Modi. And this is the first election where women voters outnumber men.

But yeah, this whole thread is just an excuse by someone to vent against the "left" with no actual evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I always think education is the cure to things like this. The caste system is a
    The upper and lower classes in India are no different. To me a class system has no basis in reality anyway. The Indian system just takes it to psychotic levels.

Do you think that the upper caste people aren't educated? They are and still treat people like they did for generations.

Advertisement