Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air purifier for stuffy bedroom

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you have the money the Dyson air purifier's are excellent. We have a Scotch 3M Filtrete the biggest one they do in the bedroom. I'd recommend getting one much bigger than you need, that way you can have a large air purifier running on tick over making hardly any noise rather than a little one going full out making a racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

....... wrote: »
    Its got an ioniser though, I wouldnt use one with an ioniser myself.

Good point ............., I did not think of that. As far as I am aware the Asthma Society do not recommend an air purifier with an ioniser, so I am happy with their advice - so I take back the recommendation of the link I posted :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

justagirl wrote: »
    Good point ............., I did not think of that. As far as I am aware the Asthma Society do not recommend an air purifier with an ioniser, so I am happy with their advice - so I take back the recommendation of the link I posted :).

We had this one from Fellows (AeraMax DX95) with an ioniser which could be switched off.

Excellent air purifier when it worked but ours was never right finally got a refund 23 months after we bought it. 2 year guarantee :) Check the reviews lots of problems with that one but as I said still a really good air purifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thanks all, I will do a bit of research on the air purifiers listed above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Ive got this one downstairs:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levoit-Purifiers-Filtration-Eliminator-LV-H132/dp/B071D58ZY5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=LEVOIT&qid=1558540356&s=gateway&sr=8-1

And in the bedroom a Dyson:
    https://www.dyson.ie/purifiers/dyson-pure-cool-desk-white-silver.html

Big difference in price!!

I love the Dyson but its hard to justify the cost of a second one for downstairs hence I went with the Levoit - but I dont have it long enough to review it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

....... wrote: »
    Ive got this one downstairs:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Levoit-Purifiers-Filtration-Eliminator-LV-H132/dp/B071D58ZY5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=LEVOIT&qid=1558540356&s=gateway&sr=8-1

And in the bedroom a Dyson:
    https://www.dyson.ie/purifiers/dyson-pure-cool-desk-white-silver.html

Big difference in price!!

I love the Dyson but its hard to justify the cost of a second one for downstairs hence I went with the Levoit - but I dont have it long enough to review it.

Hi,just wondering how the Levoit one is doing? Would you recommend it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Am i missing something but would a vaccum cleaner with a hepa filter do the same job as an air purifier. Fair enough you wouldnt want to turn a vaccum on during the night. But i cant see what air pollution would get into a room during the night with no windows or doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

You know, there are lots of different purifiers, btw, there are water and filter ones, and as I know, they work in different ways.
    At home I have this one <SNIP>, which is 2nd here <SNIP>. It uses several filters and works perfectly. It's a little bit expensive, but I like the quality of it.
    But, to be honest, I didn't notice any radical changes after its usage. I believe, someone really need an air purifier at his house or even in room, but it wasn't me.

Mod Note

Link to site promoting products for the US market removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Ionisers generate ozone, which causes cancer. They improve air quality otherwise because tiny dust particles clump together due to static electricity and become larger particles which then fall to the ground. Air purifiers use fans and filtration to remove particles and are preferable.

I have a dyson heater/purifier and a Philips purifier. The Philips one is clearly a lot better and the air becomes noticeably fresher very quickly when it is on. It has an accurate PM2.5 sensor. There are cheaper options that might be very good too. Look at the CADR rating to judge them as well as the HEPA filter category. For freshening a room the carbon filter is probably a significant factor. In that case it is just down to the area of carbon.

It won't do anything about damp though. I have two desiccant dehumidifiers. They are pretty equivalent and both quite efficient. Dessicant dehumidifiers are a lot more effective than compressor ones at low temperatures.

I also have a challenge portable air conditioner which has a compressor based dehumidifier function. The dehumidifier feature on it is very poor but it does cool a room down.

Purifiers are very useful if there is outdoor pollution. If there is not then getting a fan might be cheaper and better to improve ventilation. DC motors are a lot quieter than AC though less common. Noise is a big factor with fast fans, and what sounds fine in a shop might be obstrusively loud in a bedroom.

A few people raving about the dyson. It looks nice and has a good app, but it's not great at cleaning the air. Bad CADR rating. The Philips one is way way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aliastar

A few people raving about the dyson. It looks nice and has a good app, but it's not great at cleaning the air. Bad CADR rating. The Philips one is way way better.

Is the Philips purifier good for pet owners? I met many purifiers, but most of them are useless against cat's and dog's fur.

Aliastar wrote: »
    Is the Philips purifier good for pet owners? I met many purifiers, but most of them are useless against cat's and dog's fur.
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Try and borrow one if you can first. I couldn't handle the constant hum of one in the room

Try and borrow one if you can first. I couldn't handle the constant hum of one in the room

Unfortunately, I have only one friend air purifier-owner and I can't borrow his one because he is asthmatic, so he needs it 24/7 :) Does the purifying level depend on the size of the purifier? I really don't savvy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Unfortunately, I have only one friend air purifier-owner and I can't borrow his one because he is asthmatic, so he needs it 24/7 :) Does the purifying level depend on the size of the purifier? I really don't savvy :D

Not a clue. Mine didn’t last long enough to know lol

no. The rate at which it purifies is measured its CADR rating. The smallest size of particle it can filter is represented by its HEPA rating. If you want it to remove smells as well as reduce dust then you need one with an activated charcoal filter. If you want to reduce humidity then you want a dehumidifier.

no. The rate at which it purifies is measured its CADR rating. The smallest size of particle it can filter is represented by its HEPA rating. If you want it to remove smells as well as reduce dust then you need one with an activated charcoal filter. If you want to reduce humidity then you want a dehumidifier.

I need a purifier for an asthmatic pet owner xD My friend is asthmatic and he likes cats at the same time. His air-purifier is gone, so I decided to make him a gift(he has birthday next month). I read some articles about asthma, there was said that air-purifier should handle pet's fur and dander, because these 2 things triggers asthma. Do you have any recommendations?

I need a purifier for an asthmatic pet owner xD My friend is asthmatic and he likes cats at the same time. His air-purifier is gone, so I decided to make him a gift(he has birthday next month). I read some articles about asthma, there was said that air-purifier should handle pet's fur and dander, because these 2 things triggers asthma. Do you have any recommendations?
    This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-AC3259-60-Connected-Anti-Allergen/dp/B076QCK1FH/ref=asc_df_B076QCK1FH/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256159114462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16448148870477005830&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20485&hvtargid=pla-420631765580&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I have it and the Dyson. It is way better than the Dyson, has a high spec and excellent reviews. You notice the air being fresher in the room.

There are other good options at a lower price point too but I don’t remember what they were. Check hepa and cadr ratings as well as reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Are you sure its a purifier you need -to me it sounds more like a ventilation issue and I'd be thinking dehumifier.

I have this in our house as we've a 100+ year old house with a 1970s extension (that I fully plan to gut (the origional house) knock (the extention) and retrofit in a few years, but in the meantime, needs must).

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/electriq-12-litre-dehumidifier-for-up-to-3-bed-house-cd12p

It has an air purification setting, but we only use it for dehumidifying. It collects plenty of water. Its also handy if you're drying clothes indoors (this weather!)

Its also very satisfying pouring all the water down the sink!

This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-AC3259-60-Connected-Anti-Allergen/dp/B076QCK1FH/ref=asc_df_B076QCK1FH/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256159114462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16448148870477005830&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20485&hvtargid=pla-420631765580&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I have it and the Dyson. It is way better than the Dyson, has a high spec and excellent reviews. You notice the air being fresher in the room.

There are other good options at a lower price point too but I don’t remember what they were. Check hepa and cadr ratings as well as reviews.

Thanks for sharing! As for the cheaper options, what do you think about this one? It's said to be intended for asthma cases, so I think it has good performance, but I can't find CADR rating. It's about twice cheaper, worth it? I ask because your option is over my budget :(
    SozBbz wrote: »
    Are you sure its a purifier you need -to me it sounds more like a ventilation issue and I'd be thinking dehumifier.

I have this in our house as we've a 100+ year old house with a 1970s extension (that I fully plan to gut (the origional house) knock (the extention) and retrofit in a few years, but in the meantime, needs must).

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/electriq-12-litre-dehumidifier-for-up-to-3-bed-house-cd12p

It has an air purification setting, but we only use it for dehumidifying. It collects plenty of water. Its also handy if you're drying clothes indoors (this weather!)

Its also very satisfying pouring all the water down the sink!

Thanks for the warning, but I'm sure that I need an air-purifier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

An air-purifier's function is to remove dust and particles.

For reducing stuffiness, which is humidity, you need either an air conditioning system, or a dehumidifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I recently got 3 of these air purifiers. They are well priced and do a good job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071D58ZY5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AvrvEb991608E

We put them into the bedroom, and living room.
    We have 2 cats so helps control the amount of dust/hair in the air.

Advertisement