Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IS 201 cables

Options
  • 15-05-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Is it possible to get new IS-201 1,5sq twin and earth in brown/brown with the full size insulated conductor.
    Or are people just using two 1.5sq pvc/pvc brown cables and an 1.5sq pvc earth for two way switching?
    Similar for 1.5sq brown earth with a full size insulated conductor.

Looking online at cable manufacturers websites it would appear not, but the lads here who are in the house wiring game might know?
    I’m out of the country so can’t ring a wholesalers until next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Easy to get twin brown. Not had any difficulty whatsoever getting it.

Also have brown and Earth and blue and Earth.

1.5mm^2 green/yellow singles are not permissible outside containment. 2.5mm^2 is required for lighting circuits and 4mm^2 for other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lleyn

Risteard81 wrote: »

1.5mm^2 green/yellow singles are not permissible outside containment. 2.5mm^2 is required for lighting circuits and 4mm^2 for other uses.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Do we use 1.00 square twin and earth in Ireland? Seems very popular in the UK but not sold here.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Do we use 1.00 square twin and earth in Ireland? Seems very popular in the UK but not sold here.
    It's permitted by BS7671 for lighting circuits. However, though common in England no wholesalers in the north stock it and 1.5mm^2 is pretty much exclusively used there for these purposes.

ET101 requires a minimum of 1.5mm^2 so there is no application that I can think of for its use, hence you won't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Jaklmex

What regulation is that?
    1.5mm^2 green/yellow singles are not permissible outside containment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

It's permitted by BS7671 for lighting circuits. However, though common in England no wholesalers in the north stock it and 1.5mm^2 is pretty much exclusively used there for these purposes.

ET101 requires a minimum of 1.5mm^2 so there is no application that I can think of for its use, hence you won't find it.

Surely 1mm^2 would be sufficient for a lot of domestic lighting circuits now given the use of LED lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

1.5mm^2 green/yellow singles are not permissible outside containment.

2.5mm^2 is required for lighting circuits

Where are you getting this info?

Hintel wrote: »
    Where are you getting this info?
    ET101 as I mentioned in my post.

ET101 as I mentioned in my post.

Can you be more specific

Page ? regulation?

Can you be more specific

Page ? regulation?
    Give me a chance and I'll dig out the Rule book.

• Advertisement

Rule 543.1.3

Rule 543.1.3

I read that

I'm not fully convinced that means 1.5 singles are not permitted outside containment

The wording is" protected against mechanical damage"

I read that

I'm not fully convinced that means 1.5 singles are not permitted outside containment

The wording is" protected against mechanical damage"
    That's precisely what it means.

That's precisely what it means.

Are they not protected against mechanical damage in a ceiling void, for example?

Are they not protected against mechanical damage in a ceiling void, for example?
    No. The cables wouldn't be mechanically protected in that instance without further protection (e.g. conduit or trunking).

No. The cables wouldn't be mechanically protected in that instance without further protection (e.g. conduit or trunking).

I guess they prob mean the same thing so

Advertisement