Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It: Chapter Two

• 09-05-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

There may be spoilers in the trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Looks great but they seemed to have spent a lot of time on that one scene at the start. 2.15 secs, which seemed more like a preview than a teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Strange trailer, creepy as fcuk at the beginning only to jump into an Avengers type montage. Guess they have to sell those tickets. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember for the miniseries, feeling the second part let it down. Hopefully this isn't the same. I actually preferred the first half of the miniseries over the first movie. And looks like this could be going the same path as the first part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's been 25 years since I read the book, but iirc there were some bat **** crazy parts to it - it'll be interesting to see how they play part two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Love the first 2 mins of that trailer and am very much looking forward to the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Looks great, but too much time in the trailer spent on the one scene! Still cant wait to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looks just as awful and loud as the first one.

I will be buying tickets

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Great trailer for me. Nice slow buildup to a more generic montage to finish.

I can't generally watch horror, but I loved this book so much when I was younger I had to watch IT, and now this this.

With the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Great trailer and I like the look of the casting too.
    I enjoyed the nostalgia factor of the first one, so will be definitely watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is McAvoy "Big" Bill? Seems a bit off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is McAvoy "Big" Bill? Seems a bit off.
    Was Bill supposed to be tall, or big? Don't recall that. I'd ask if that's a character trait that matters to the story. If not... have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's just an odd trailer. Had me right up until the "team up" part.

This 'It' is just weird. It's nothing like the book, while still being relatively entertaining, despite the quiet, quiet, loud crap. But, I think it works better if you haven't read the King novel or aren't familiar with it at all.

I also think that it's going to lose a lot without the kids, who were a big part of the draw in chapter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's just an odd trailer. Had me right up until the "team up" part.

This 'It' is just weird. It's nothing like the book, while still being relatively entertaining, despite the quiet, quiet, loud crap. But, I think it works better if you haven't read the King novel or aren't familiar with it at all.

I also think that it's going to lose a lot without the kids, who were a big part of the draw in chapter one.

I loved the book, read it a couple of times during my teenage years. I thought the first film was great. I thought they captured the atmosphere of the novel quite well, while giving it a nostalgic edge as well. There were obviously parts of the book that couldn't be translated to screen and they shaved parts out (Stephen King has long needed a good editor in his life, so I wasn't too put out by that), but overall I thought they did a good job with the material.
    As far as I know, the kids will be playing some role in this movie as well, I guess maybe in flashbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

PressRun wrote: »
    I loved the book, read it a couple of times during my teenage years. I thought the first film was great. I thought they captured the atmosphere of the novel quite well, while giving it a nostalgic edge as well. There were obviously parts of the book that couldn't be translated to screen and they shaved parts out (Stephen King has long needed a good editor in his life, so I wasn't too put out by that), but overall I thought they did a good job with the material.
    As far as I know, the kids will be playing some role in this movie as well, I guess maybe in flashbacks?

"Atmosphere" is pretty nebulous though. 'Stranger Things' "captures the atmosphere" of 'It' as well, but has nothing to do with Stephen King's book.

I mean, really, the only thing that truly links the two mediums is Pennywise and even he's nothing like he was in the novel. It's its own thing in the vast majority of ways and I think this chapter will be even more so.

No doubt the kids will be in some flashback sequences, but the film will centre on the adults and therefore, lose a lot of the charm that Chapter One had. Rather like the book, I might add, which was at its best and most gripping when dealing with the children and their fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dades wrote: »
    Was Bill supposed to be tall, or big? Don't recall that. I'd ask if that's a character trait that matters to the story. If not... have at it.

I might be remembering the book wrong but I thought he was. Not a huge deal but something that jarred me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Strange trailer, creepy as fcuk at the beginning only to jump into an Avengers type montage. Guess they have to sell those tickets. :P
    Wow ... that's proper horror, the way the old woman moves in the background made my skin crawl!!!!

Proper subtle stuff, no doubt the film itself will be full of jumps, but looking forward to it - it's my favourite novel.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I might be remembering the book wrong but I thought he was. Not a huge deal but something that jarred me.

Ben Hanscomb was the fat kit, Bill was regular enough, maybe a bit tall for his age.. can't remember fully.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Wow ... that's proper horror, the way the old woman moves in the background made my skin crawl!!!!

Proper subtle stuff, no doubt the film itself will be full of jumps, but looking forward to it - it's my favourite novel.

I haven't read the novel yet, I know the rough story though, what do you think of them seemingly giving Pennywise a human origin? Or maybe Pennywise just did that to **** with Bev due to her father's abuse.

"Atmosphere" is pretty nebulous though. 'Stranger Things' "captures the atmosphere" of 'It' as well, but has nothing to do with Stephen King's book.

I mean, really, the only thing that truly links the two mediums is Pennywise and even he's nothing like he was in the novel. It's its own thing in the vast majority of ways and I think this chapter will be even more so.

No doubt the kids will be in some flashback sequences, but the film will centre on the adults and therefore, lose a lot of the charm that Chapter One had. Rather like the book, I might add, which was at its best and most gripping when dealing with the children and their fears.

Agreed, the sections June 1958 + July 1958 were the best parts , amazing.

1985 was the weakest part of the novel (still great of course, speaking relatively...)

I haven't read the novel yet, I know the rough story though, what do you think of them seemingly giving Pennywise a human origin? Or maybe Pennywise just did that to **** with Bev due to her father's abuse.

Yeah ... of course - PW is messing with her here, there is no human origin with Pennywise, the book explains where It came from in one of the greatest chapters (the smoke hole)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: "Big Bill"

In the book Bill was the tallest of the kids, hence the nick name. But I don't recall if that was still true when they were adults. Either way I don't think it matters, especially since I'm pretty sure the actor in the first film was NOT the tallest nor do I recall him ever being referred to as "Big Bill".

Another interesting thing I found about the trailer is at the end, it sounds like Pennywise has a different voice to the first film. It plays in perfectly to the fact this is a demon or alien, with no humanity, coming out of hibernation after 27 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember for the miniseries, feeling the second part let it down. Hopefully this isn't the same. I actually preferred the first half of the miniseries over the first movie. And looks like this could be going the same path as the first part.

I actually had the DVD of the miniseries for ages before I realised there was a second part to it. :rolleyes:

Have to say I’m really looking forward to seeing this, the first one scared the bejaysus out of me, but I’m still undecided which Pennywise was more frightening, the original or the reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Currently reading the book as I realised I never have..

First movie was a bit jumpy, right up to that stupid dancing bit, then it was just funny.
    I'm hoping part 2 isn't the same.

Must re-watch the mini series as well

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

I hope we get an answer to this age old question...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tazzimus wrote: »
    First movie was a bit jumpy, right up to that stupid dancing bit, then it was just funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I’m so doing that dance the next time I’m out and that song comes on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

El Duda wrote: »
    I hope we get an answer to this age old question...

That 1990 film gets forgiven for a lot by dint of Tim Curry's performance, 'cos remove him and it was a pretty woeful, borderline amateur & embarrassing production. Like a lot of King adaptations from that era mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Like I said I think the kids bit was the best part of it. Included Seth Green as Richie. Most memorable part from the adult part is Pennywise saying "B-a-Bi-a-Billy boy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv actually heard the kids are hugely involved in this, No idea how but I heard they wanted to use them to keep the atmosphere form the first chapter,

Advertisement