Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Duffy Motors taking the piss and acting unprofessionally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am 68 years old, and worked as an accountant in industry and practice for almost 40 years.
    Recently I dealt with two solicitors on a house sale, and on the settlement of an estate.
    My brother's brother in law is head partner in a firm of solicitors in Dublin 2.
    I have the funds to get legal if the contract is not honoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres plenty of old accounts around with no sense.

I'm not sure what either has to do with it.

Being 68 nor an accountant excuses common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

listermint wrote: »
    You don't pay in full unless the product is what was ordered.

This is basic stuff man.

You might take issue with being told basic stuff but you should probably take heed

I've no idea how any one could possible disagree with this statement. I'd be getting the bike, going over it and not paying until it was what I wanted. I've had a really bad experience with a BMW dealership, not JD's but you would wanna exercise basic buyers 101 here.

listermint wrote: »
    Theres plenty of old accounts around with no sense.
    I'm not sure what either has to do with it.
    Being 68 nor an accountant excuses common sense.
    The procedure is you see the bike, then you sign for it if satisfied.
    If not then there is no deal.
    Putting yourself forward as a person with common sense, and suggesting I have no common sense looks like you are something controversial in order to get a rise out of a forum user.
    You do not appear to be familiar with contracts.
    You are not involved in the purchase of the motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

The procedure is you see the bike, then you sign for it if satisfied.
    If not then there is no deal.
    Putting yourself forward as a person with common sense, and suggesting I have no common sense looks like you are something controversial in order to get a rise out of a forum user.
    You do not appear to be familiar with contracts.
    You are not involved in the purchase of the motorcycle.

If it’s not the right bike though, they have your money, and you could be waiting a long time to get the right bike, which would negate your prudence of not having a weekend EFT delay.

BTW: I really hope all goes ok and you get your bike exactly as expected, especially as you are already past the expected date of when you should have had it. I guess with such a small market in Ireland, dealers don’t really give a toss about their customers, it would put me off opting for a brand new machine.

• Advertisement

My general point is I have the funds, there is no reason for me to hold the funds in my bank account as I am not getting any benefit.

They have your money and you have no bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I am 68 years old, and worked as an accountant in industry and practice for almost 40 years.
    Recently I dealt with two solicitors on a house sale, and on the settlement of an estate.
    My brother's brother in law is head partner in a firm of solicitors in Dublin 2.
    I have the funds to get legal if the contract is not honoured.

This is your second time informing us poor people that you have the funds to pay in full and the funds to waste on solicitors. Personally I do not give a $hite how much money you have or have'nt got. Neither do I care where you worked for 40 years or how many solicitors you have dealt with. If you have been in finance for 40 years then you have learned nothing. There are 2 types of bad payers , One pays beforehand and the other does not pay at all.
    Surprising a man of your qualifications and connections has to resort to the poor people on Boards for advise. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Here's me going to JD's to buy a bike

efb.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I hate when peeps confuse education with intelligence....you can have a bachelors degree and still be an idiot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can't see it being much of a problem if he pays using a card.
    Surely he is covered by his bank if something isn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What would I do with the money for two weeks? I would not get interest on it.

Grand so, how about you give me all your savings and I promise to pay you back sometime... without interest :)
    You make it sound like I have made a terrible blunder by not withholding payment until the bike is physically handed over to me.

Yes, yes you have.
    Something I learned many years ago is you can't trust a motorcycle dealer further than you can throw them. ANY motorcycle dealer.

Cash in hand - your hand not theirs - is the only leverage you have over them if they are fcuking you around in any way. Whether that's a dispute over colour or spec or delivery date or damage or anything else. Keeping your cash in your hand is your only hope of keeping a dealer honest.

"Going legal" is guaranteed to cost you a lot of money with no guarantee of ever getting a cent off them even if you win in court.

Search for "Muck and Fun" on this forum

The bike is now in the country, but not yet with the dealer.

So you've already paid them in full for a bike they haven't taken delivery of, never mind paid the distributor for.
    They must think that's pretty hilarious.

Life ain't always empty.

If one of Ireland's biggest motor dealers risks their reputation and tries to give me a damaged bike, or a different bike to that ordered (and I have detailed specifications from the dealer) I will let the forum know.

Out of experience, thats quite likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Hey Tetrarch,

My nosey nature wants to know what bike are you getting? with that kind of money it's probably a beauty. I hope it serves you well with no issues :)

You can tell by the replies most people have not had great experiences with some motor dealers in Ireland. I get annoyed when I see people being given the run around by dealers/poor customer service, it's not hard to get it right!

Personally I avoid buying in Ireland like the plague.

PM to IrishGrimReaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Over the years I have bought about ten cars, always paying in advance of collection.
    Paying in advance is not a sign of immense wealth, it is what was required by the motor dealer.
    If one of Ireland's biggest motor dealers risks their reputation and tries to give me a damaged bike, or a different bike to that ordered (and I have detailed specifications from the dealer) I will let the forum know.

Personally you are giving them far more credit than a simple google search would give you. You have placed all the power of the transaction in their hands. It rather get what I want than having to post on forums about getting screwed over.

I'll send my thoughts and prayers and hope you never have to post about "I got screwed over by" post if something goes wrong.

With all due respect to the chap and I mean this in the most polite way. Its people like him that keeps them in business.

Hand over the money blindly then roll over like a dog wanting to have its belly rubbed when something goes wrong. Then the next time and the next time ad infinitum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah, I was gonna stay out of this one.

I would never, ever, be so naive as to hand over all the cash for a car or bike up-front.

Deposit + COD is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No EFT takes 6 days.

You have heard of SEPA I presume. Being an accountant and that.

This thread is gas

I can handle being poor of pocket and not poor of mind anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JD missed an almost sure sale today lol

I left my sons bike in for a job to be done under warranty (exhaust flapper valve) and asked was there a replacement bike, usually this isn't an issue.

'Nope', but there was a line of used GSA's outside.. I'm in the market for a GSA shortly, and almost every bike I've bought over the last few years has been bought after something casual like this.

I sat on three of 'em expecting someone to come out to speak to me about them (no one came), I'd have almost certainly pulled the trigger on one.. Thankfully I didn't, like I don't NEED one, but I'd like one and would have talked myself into believing I couldn't live without one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Do you think if I pay for a bike and it is not the specification I ordered, or it is damaged that I would accept it?
    That would be beyond idiotic.
    Do you have evidence that 1% of people accept damaged goods, or goods other than agreed in the contract?
    You sign for the bike before it is given to you. If it is a different bike or is damaged I will not sign for it.
    Accept it??
    If JD has a bike on the floor worth 20k, paid for in full by you, and there is an issue with it - however minor , to your dissatisfaction - which one of you holds all the cards ? Think about it ; JD with both the merchandise and the money, or you ? [/quote]

Electronic Funds Transfer
    "Payments and transfers that you make after 6.30pm Monday to Friday, at weekends and on Bank Holidays normally leave your account immediately, but the date on your screen will show as the next banking day."
    If I made a transfer on Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend (as we had recently), say Friday 31st May, then the payment would arrive in the payee's bank on the first day after the bank holiday, which was 4th June, or four days.
    If I make a payment on a Friday afternoon it will arrive in the payee's bank account on the next banking day (three days later).
    If I make a payment before 12:00 on a weekday it will arrive in the payee bank the same day.
    If you work in a bank, and I am incorrect, please let me know.
    I'm glad you now agree I was correct.
    my general point is I have the funds, there is no reason for me to hold the funds in my bank account as I am not getting any benefit.
    It is more convenient for me for my payment to have cleared before the bike arrives, instead of making the payment when the bike is waiting in the showrooms for collection, and then waiting for the dealer to trace the payment.

I agree with you here in one respect. Having the cash in the bank is a waste of time, it is better to use it, and for own benefit rather than a banks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The transfer was from my bank account to the Joe Duffy bank account was an amount on their headed paper e-mailed to me from joeduffy.ie.
    The payment was in accordance with their Vehicle Collection Payment Methods document, also e-mailed to me.
    There will be no trouble tracing the payment if there is a difference of opinion.

And as an aside, the person who said above that electronic funds transfer happens instantaneously differs a little for my understanding of electronics funds transfer (I do three every month), and differs from the line in the Joe Duffy Vehicle Collection Payment Methods[/B] document that states "Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) may take up to 6 days to complete."

"Handing over the cash" as described above is not something I would ever do when buying a vehicle.
    I would not carry a five figure sum of cash.
    You will not get a car or motorcycle without payment.
    Try asking for the the car or motorcycle and tell them you will pay afterwards.

While forum posters wish to have a motorcycle dealer follow their rules you might consider the Joe Duffy rules.
    (1) The Maximum amount of Cash we can accept is €2000.
    (2) We are unable to take any transactions over €2000 on credit cards.
    (3) For Debit card transactions please confirm with your card issuer the max amount you have as a daily transaction limit on your card to avoid the disappointment of not being able to collect your car.
    (4) We are unable to accept any personal/business cheques or Postal Orders of any form on collection. If you wish to pay by personal/business cheques or Postal Orders please allow 14 Days for clearance, we are unable to deliver any vehicle until the cheque is fully cleared.

I will keep the forum informed if I am
    (1) given a motorcycle that is different from the vehicle I ordered
    (2) given a mototcycle that is damaged
    (3) at the loss of the money I transferred from my bank account to their bank account

All the scenarios imagined by posters on the forum are possible. We will see.

I bought my first bike at the age of 17, and I've bought a number more bikes and cars in the 20 years since then.

Not once, ever, has a dealer asked me to pay the entire asking price before the car is ready to be driven away.

Also, I worked as a car salesman for many many years, and never asked for the full payment up front unless they wanted to literally buy the car on the spot.

I am baffled that you're arguing about this. Truly and utterly baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Another poster has already posted on here to waiting months for a specified bike from JD and what was on the showroom floor for him to collect wasnt what was ordered by them. But if as you say, they build them to your specs I guess yours will come in perfect and the OP was just unlucky? They have their fanboys and they have customers who have been burned. It is not always a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Things that occupied my time since I was released from hospital last week.
    When you are in hospital you can not attend to any business.

Pay horse vet fees. ...done
    Pay horse boarding fees, Ireland and France. ...done
    Pay the balance of the motorcycle cost. ...done
    Collect the dogs from the boarding kennel in Co Wicklow. ...done
    Bring dog to vet for surgery to growth under eye. ...done
    Bring other dog at 18:30 Sunday to the Belfield UCD Vet clinic due to diarrohea and vomiting, collect that dog next morning at 06:00 and bring her to my vet for two days of treatment. ...done
    Order motorcycle boots from the UK. ...done
    Buy motorcycle jacket, trousers, gloves, helmet in Dublin. ...done
    Order motorcycle parts/accessories from Wunderlich ... in progress
    Arrange motorcycle lessons ... done
    Pay car insurance. ... o/s
    Arrange boarding for the dogs in July and accommodation for myself for six days when I am attending the Open Golf Championship in Portrush. ...done
    And as I am a horse racing fan I wanted to watch Royal Ascot on television for four days this week. ... in progress

Answering posts on the motorcycle section of boards.ie from posters who post comments without first reading what was written ... done

Paying the bike cost is just one of many tasks to get out of the way.

For everything else theres mastercard eh...!

Lads, its his money to do with as he pleases, clearly he doesnt mind waiting for delivery and doesnt want to worry about the payment end of thimgs when it does arrive in

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    For everything else theres mastercard eh...!

Lads, its his money to do with as he pleases, clearly he doesnt mind waiting for delivery and doesnt want to worry about the payment end of thimgs when it does arrive in

They are all jealous he is getting a new bike! :pac:
    Joe Duffy might be a cowboy but the posters money is safe.

Lads, how do any of ye manage to purchase anything online at all? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

While I agree with the consensus of paying later, mainly because it's then in the dealerships interest to ensure a timely delivery. However, you you all need to chill.

Well this took a decidedly bad turn.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Well this took a decidedly bad turn.

Is it the amount of money that's the problem or what?

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it the amount of money that's the problem or what?

Bad case of a bit of attitude. The shop / brand attracts a certain "type". ;)

Present company excluded of course. Makikomi, can you confirm this for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

And as I am a horse racing fan I wanted to watch Royal Ascot on television for four days this week. ... in progress

If you backed Frankie yesterday you really don't have to worry about paying up front for anything again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why buy a bike at all when you have horses here and in France.....Ride them instead.

All done up like a ploughman lunch, bit of fox hunting too and then back to the hotel for late afternoon tea.

Let the butler deal with looking after the small things.

:pac::P:pac:

Advertisement