Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident at P&E Boarding Kennels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I hadn’t heard the poor dog had parvovirus, but this would indeed explain the Colitis-like symptoms, and is a much more serious condition than idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease in dogs. It would also explain why the poor beautiful animal had to be sealed tightly, however disagreeable this might be. If it is indeed true he had parvo then steroids would suppress his immune system making the infection even worse. It would also mean that the kennel owner had a duty to dispose of the animal as it’s sadly not curable and spreads to other animals. But, again I say this is only if it was known that he did have parvovirus. In any case it seems there should have been communication with the owner, assuming that the owner left a valid telephone number with the kennels etc. when I leave my cat into boarding they have my number plus that of a relative back home in case of emergency. I always have to sign a waiver that he may be euthanised upon decision of the vet.

The only time that Parvo has been mentioned is a quote that apparently came from the kennel owner. Lets say the poor dog did contract Parvo - how did she get it? Even if she was vaccinated but immunocompromised, she would have had to catch it from either another boarding dog, or more likely one of the many strays and "rescue" dogs that are taken in. Extremely bad animal husbandry keeping paying guests in close contact with possible virus carrying "rescue babys in my care".

Now, again, even if the dog had contracted Parvo, and had to be kept separate, aren't kennels are meant to have quarantine quarters for such occurences? If he contacted a vet and there was a risk of parvo outbreak, what dog was the cause of it? He would have had to attend a vet with the dog that brought in the parvo in the first place, where's that detail? And ANY vet worth their veterinary licence would have opened out of hours to take the poor dogs body to keep in cold storage to prevent a parvo outbreak.

And finally. No phonecall, no words of compassion, no warning but "here's your dog in wrapped up". I mean look at the state of the package? How can you comprehend that this was a 25kg dog? And that to just hand her over like this with zero information and nothing since is professional behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There was no mention of Parvovirus on the post Mortem conducted by Novas owners vet. Kennel owner is offering it as an excuse. There’s no excuses for handing back a dog to it’s owner like this and not even having the respect to speak to the owner.

There’s too many stories coming out.

I’m suspicious of these shipments to England too, seems like a license to print money.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Dog was packaged like a turkey crown. Like something from alixpress. Poor family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Putting aside why the dog died, how he was cared for, and all that.

What they did to him. wrapped him up like a piece of trash in bin liner and scotch tape.

I don't want to say too much on it but if one of my beloved pets was handed back to me like that.....

I hope this place is shut down and blacklisted. That is all I will say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

According to the D'Mail this happened way back in December.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6955527/Dog-sitters-tell-owner-pet-died-hand-dead-husky-wrapped-duct-tape.html

Even if it was some virus, a clear bag/wrap and into a large freezer (rented if not available) might have been best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Horrific. This place sounds like a torture house for dogs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I have been following the story since it broke and its heartbreaking

Poor Nova didn't have parvo. Nova had Coilitis and they were told that had the medication to administer twice a day and given instruction. Both verbally and in writing on how to give it. The owners have also not disclosed the vet that seemingly attended to Nova or instructed them verbally.

In the story of the poor lady who's dog seemingly died and was cremated they have refused to speak with her or disclose the vets details who attended and pts her dog without her consent. She is very upset and hoping her dog is still alive somewhere.

Another lady has come forward and said when she got her dog back it was badly hurt. They are trying to make out her dog was in that condition when it went into their care.

Other numerous stories are coming out over pets traumatised when they have come out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Parvo virus has very recognizable lesions that are found at post mortem - if the PM was inconclusive, the dog did not have Parvo

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

anewme wrote: »
    Update from Owner:

Now What is asked is... WHAT happened Nova in her final hours?
    WHO administered the mediation to Nova or did they?
    WHAT was her demeanour in her last hours?
    WHY her owners weren't informed?
    WHY were they not brought in and shown compassion and respect?
    WHY did the owner of the establishment leave in the van on owners arrival?
    WHY did someone else to hand the dog out?
    WHY was Nova's owner not brought inside?
    WHY won't you answer?

imo the owner got a very easy ride on the 9 o'c RTE news-why couldn't he have been asked these very pertinent questions

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Jesus That's horrific. Hope the Kennel is shut down and the owners prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Should be hopefully. More and more stories now coming out

Videos on his website of him using prong collars on dogs. Clearly not an animal lover in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The owners clearly are not animal people, they just see it as a career. I wouldn't mind that, people have to make a living, if it weren't for the utter shocking disrespect for the animals and their owners.

I will be keenly following this case and I can only pray the owner is prosecuted. Scumbag doesn't even begin to cover it.

What happened that poor animal is far closer to a mexican cartel turf war than an empathetic shelter.

I'm speechless at the whole case. It just takes my breath away. I don't condone violence and never do but christ sake, I would understand entirelty if the dog owner visited violence upon the person who did that to their pet.

Update from Nova s owners.

want to let you all know that what is being said about Nova and the possibility of her having parvovirus while being boarded In P&E Boarding Kennels and Catteryis false. This is a cover up. Nova was checked by my vet two days before going to the kennels and fully vaccinated.

The vaccine certs were shown to the kennels on the day I left her. No professional kennel would allow dogs in for boarding without the dog being vaccinated or seeing the vaccination certs. 
    It is not possible for her to have had parvo as she was boarded with my other dog Romeo who is perfectly fine and was kept in the same kennel.

I have results from Novas postmortem confirming that she didn’t have parvovirus. 
    I have still yet to be contacted by Paddy or any member of staff.

If the kennels expected parvo why wasn’t this said to me when I arrived to collect Romeo and Nova ?

Why did Paddy xxxxxxx leave in such a rush when we arrived ?

Why are there conflicting statements made by Paddy, saying he was instructed by a vet and in a second statement he instructed a member of staff to package nova in this way himself ?

If it was suspected that Nova was sick while
    In their care, why was the contact information given by myself and my vet to the kennels never used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

want to let you all know that what is being said about Nova and the possibility of her having parvovirus while being boarded In P&E Boarding Kennels and Catteryis false. This is a cover up. Nova was checked by my vet two days before going to the kennels and fully vaccinated.

The vaccine certs were shown to the kennels on the day I left her. No professional kennel would allow dogs in for boarding without the dog being vaccinated or seeing the vaccination certs. 
    It is not possible for her to have had parvo as she was boarded with my other dog Romeo who is perfectly fine and was kept in the same kennel.

I have results from Novas postmortem confirming that she didn’t have parvovirus. 

If the kennels expected parvo why wasn’t this said to me when I arrived to collect Romeo and Nova ?

Why are there conflicting statements made by Paddy, saying he was instructed by a vet and in a second statement he instructed a member of staff to package nova in this way himself ?

In their care, why was the contact information given by myself and my vet to the kennels never used ?

This is horrific. What is going on ? I've read numerous stories now of other dogs being mistreated and the owner of these kennels will never even speak to dog owners

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think the kennels said that the dog did have Parvo, just that given the sudden nature of it's death there was a risk it may have had the disease and the animal was packaged in the way it was in order to mitigate the risk of potential spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This makes me want to set up my own Kennel, You'd have to put in effort to be a ****tier kennel owner.

They knew the dog had collitus, similar symotoms.

Yet the dog had no food or medication in her stomach.

Ass covering by kenell owner, but most seeing through it.

They knew the dog had collitus, similar symotoms.

Yet the dog had no food or medication in her stomach.

Ass covering by kenell owner, but most seeing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

What about the dog they had cremated? Without the owner even knowing it was dead.

• Advertisement

Or look up the lady who had her lurcher returned to her covered in bite puncture marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

If the company has been mistreating animals, how has it been getting away with it?

There are stories on social media now but where were they before?

If I had a dog that was mistreated or even if I was suspicious I would hound that company into the ground.

And whether the staff or owner of this kennel were up to no good or not, I flabbergasted that anyone would think that presenting that "package" to the owner was acceptable behaviour? It just boggles the mind.

The young lady did right contacting RTÉ or kicking up enough fuss to get their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Where is he getting all the dogs he 'rehomes'? Why is he sending labrador puppies over to the UK? Is he robbing the dogs? Getting the puppies from puppy farms? Why are none of the dogs microchipped, vaccinated, or neutered before they are rehomed? Isn't it illegal not to have dogs/puppies microchipped? Why has he unvaccinated dogs and puppies in with the dogs he is boarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Where is he getting all the dogs he 'rehomes'? Why is he sending labrador puppies over to the UK? Is he robbing the dogs? Getting the puppies from puppy farms? Why are none of the dogs microchipped, vaccinated, or neutered before they are rehomed? Isn't it illegal not to have dogs/puppies microchipped? Why has he unvaccinated dogs and puppies in with the dogs he is boarding?
    I think the dogs going to the uk are a different rescue....a legitimate breed specific one.
    The dogs are Irish dogs from pounds etc and they board with him while getting their vaccs etc. This rescue didn’t used to rehome in Ireland but I think it does now. The rescue used to use kennels near the airport but changed when the co ordinator changed.

As for “second chance rescue” I think that is something he started himself....I have no idea.

Whatever happened to the dog....putting in a bag like that and not contacting the owner is not acceptable.

Millem wrote: »
    I think the dogs going to the uk are a different rescue....a legitimate breed specific one.
    The dogs are Irish dogs from pounds etc and they board with him while getting their vaccs etc. This rescue didn’t used to rehome in Ireland but I think it does now. The rescue used to use kennels near the airport but changed when the co ordinator changed.

As for “second chance rescue” I think that is something he started himself....I have no idea.

Whatever happened to the dog....putting in a bag like that and not contacting the owner is not acceptable.

I can't wrap my head around that.

IF the dog died through no fault of the owner or staff how can they have been so lacking in compassion for the the owner that they would think it was okay to present her with her pet like this.

IF there is mistreatment going on how they be so stupid as to draw attention to it like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I can't wrap my head around that.

IF the dog died through no fault of the owner or staff how can they have been so lacking in compassion for the the owner that they would think it was okay to present her with her pet like this.

IF there is mistreatment going on how they be so stupid as to draw attention to it like this.

I totally agree.
    I can’t fathom the way the poor dog was wrapped in a bag.
    Also not contacting the owner is totally wrong. I am sure a family member of friend would of gone to the kennel at any stage to collect the dog and bring to the vets.

I have used them for maybe 9/10 years.....never had any trouble.
    Another rescue also uses/used them before dogs go to UK. Not sure if they still do?
    It is so awful what happened. Why didn’t he call the vet that is 5/10 minutes away.
    I am sure the vet would of held onto the dog until the owner came home.

With regard to the other story with the cremation....I find that very strange? I would be interested to find out what vet cremated the animal. Two months ago I had to pts one of my dogs and I got her cremated......I can’t remember the cost but it was a few hundred euro.

The owner claimed on the news that a/the vet told them to wrap the dog like that.

The stupidity of it blows my mind far more than the lack of decency.

I totally agree.
    I can’t fathom the way the poor dog was wrapped in a bag.
    Also not contacting the owner is totally wrong. I am sure a family member of friend would of gone to the kennel at any stage to collect the dog and bring to the vets.

And the masking tape.

Imagine the poor young woman having to cut that open to see the dog.:mad:

The only time that Parvo has been mentioned is a quote that apparently came from the kennel owner. Lets say the poor dog did contract Parvo - how did she get it? Even if she was vaccinated but immunocompromised, she would have had to catch it from either another boarding dog, or more likely one of the many strays and "rescue" dogs that are taken in. Extremely bad animal husbandry keeping paying guests in close contact with possible virus carrying "rescue babys in my care".

Now, again, even if the dog had contracted Parvo, and had to be kept separate, aren't kennels are meant to have quarantine quarters for such occurences? If he contacted a vet and there was a risk of parvo outbreak, what dog was the cause of it? He would have had to attend a vet with the dog that brought in the parvo in the first place, where's that detail? And ANY vet worth their veterinary licence would have opened out of hours to take the poor dogs body to keep in cold storage to prevent a parvo outbreak.

And finally. No phonecall, no words of compassion, no warning but "here's your dog in wrapped up". I mean look at the state of the package? How can you comprehend that this was a 25kg dog? And that to just hand her over like this with zero information and nothing since is professional behaviour?

Absolutely true about quarantine, and it is very bad practice keeping non-vaccinated “rescues” in proximity to “hotel guests”. I’ve worked in DSPCA kennels and the hotel dogs, general rescue dogs and unwell ones and all kept separately, with known infectious cases being put in isolation, but all given great personal attention.

As regards the no phone call etc, it seems that all this unfortunate business took place as the owner was making her journey home. It’s not clear how many times Cullen tried to contact her, had she got her phone turned on etc. it was necessary to tightly seal the remains, which were leaking blood., but a more respectful outer cover and a sympathetic approach and full explanation would have gone a long way to ameliorate a tragic situation. I think it all hinges on the way the owner was dealt with when she went to collect her pet.

• Advertisement

Absolutely true about quarantine, and it is very bad practice keeping non-vaccinated “rescues” in proximity to “hotel guests”. I’ve worked in DSPCA kennels and the hotel dogs, general rescue dogs and unwell ones and all kept separately, with known infectious cases being put in isolation, but all given great personal attention.

As regards the no phone call etc, it seems that all this unfortunate business took place as the owner was making her journey home. It’s not clear how many times Cullen tried to contact her, had she got her phone turned on etc. it was necessary to tightly seal the remains, which were leaking blood., but a more respectful outer cover and a sympathetic approach and full explanation would have gone a long way to ameliorate a tragic situation. I think it all hinges on the way the owner was dealt with when she went to collect her pet.

What is clear though that Cullen snuck out the side door and drove off and left someone else to hand back the parcel rather than face the customer and face up to his responsibilities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement