Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bike garage

• 07-02-2019 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I'm hopefully buying my first home soon and will need to build the most important part !! A BIG BLOODY GARAGE :D

The minister for finance has given me her backing and although nothing is in stone yet we've looked at prices for concrete builds.

The metal shed type are about half the price though. Does anyone know if the metal garages offer the same sort of protection as a concrete one, as in insulation, security etc ?

Anyone that did this recently with advice would be of great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Don't have a shed myself, but I know a good few lads who do and I've helped put them together.

Metal or concrete, it's all pretty much the same if you build and maintain it properly. The main thing is a solid concrete base and ensuring proper ventilation is put in too. Concrete or metal, it'll get damp without getting air-flow right in there.

Most of the lads I know went to this lot
    https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/products/steel-garages/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are you comparing like for like in terms of insulation of walls/ roof etc in your costs?

If the new house is expected to be your forever home, then I would go for a concrete structure as much as possible. Wire it appropriatly to inc TV, satellite, beer fridge etc, believe me they become very important ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

ratracer wrote: »
    Are you comparing like for like in terms of insulation of walls/ roof etc in your costs?

If the new house is expected to be your forever home, then I would go for a concrete structure as much as possible. Wire it appropriatly to inc TV, satellite, beer fridge etc, believe me they become very important ;)

Which would be easier to insulate or provide better insulation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

D3V!L wrote: »
    Which would be easier to insulate or provide better insulation ?

Block shed would be similar construction of the walls of your house, but get an insulated door also. Insulated steel panels can have similar insulation properties, hence my previous question.

If you just get a standard steel shed it will have no insulation and be prone to condensation/ moisture.

In my case, I built a block garage and insulated the walls/ roof. I only put a cheap aluminium roller door in though, which has proven to be a mistake as it is impossible to stop draughty along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ratracer wrote: »
    I only put a cheap aluminium roller door in though, which has proven to be a mistake as it is impossible to stop draughty along it.

Same here with me.
    Would have went with an up an over door had I known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

Concrete base, block walls and decent doors windows = lifetime job, If you max out you budget with that remember you can insulate/decorate with man cave stuff later on when you can afford to.

Here's a few money saving tips
    use breathable felt for the roof so you can insulate right up to it.
    keep an eye on donedeal for second hand windows and build to suit them
    other building materials can be got second hand as well like insulation and timber
    and for the love of god don't go out and buy a 50" tv for it before it's built :p

mamax wrote: »
    Concrete base, block walls and decent doors windows = lifetime job, If you max out you budget with that remember you can insulate/decorate with man cave stuff later on when you can afford to.

Here's a few money saving tips
    use breathable felt for the roof so you can insulate right up to it.
    keep an eye on donedeal for second hand windows and build to suit them
    other building materials can be got second hand as well like insulation and timber
    and for the love of god don't go out and buy a 50" tv for it before it's built :p

It wont be a man cave , just a bike store and workshop. I was looking at precast concrete garages. They can go up quite quickly. I noticed a lot of the insulated Stealtech type sheds dont come with insulated doors. Quite the oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Got my shed from Kelly Barna, based in Wicklow (but travelled to Cork to me no problem)
    Shed was erected in 1/2 day, measures 17x12 ft.
    I had the base down.
    Great concrete, preformed pebble-dashed panels.
    Bike, tools etc are safe.
    It isn't insulated, but could be by drylined using the wooden spacers between the panels.
    Cost was around 5k around 10yrs ago.
    Still good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just make sure that it's joined to the house. I can't understand why people build a garage miles away from the house. What's the point of walking in the cold and rain to get to the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've a double garage attached to the house. It came with the house. I can't tell you enough how having the garage connected to the house is important. I see zero tangible benefit to keeping it outside the envelope of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Small warm bright workshop attached to house, and then a separate steel shed for storage. Don’t understand lads building massive garages and freezing their nuts off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Build it as big as you can, it will fill up quickly.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Build it as big as you can, it will fill up quickly.

The bigger you build it the more crap you'll never use again you'll store in it. So the size doesn't matter as you'll still only end up with enough space to park the bike and/or car with a little bit of crawl space around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nah I don't agree.
    You will want a workbench and some storage for stuff that will take up at least 2ft width and probably 6-10ft length.
    Maybe a grinder or a drill press?
    Hard to extend the shed to make space for that kind of stuff but easy to build enough space to have the choice of whether to fit it or not.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

And expensive shirts.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Nah I don't agree.
    You will want a workbench and some storage for stuff that will take up at least 2ft width and probably 6-10ft length.
    Maybe a grinder or a drill press?
    Hard to extend the shed to make space for that kind of stuff but easy to build enough space to have the choice of whether to fit it or not.

You must be unique as any other shed or garage I've been in, regardless of how big it was built, still has feck all room left with all the crap stored in it. The workbench could be 20m long but after a few years you'll have about 1m of workspace and unless you are regularly doing grinding/drilling they will be covered by something else you may need.

I'm not saying don't build it big, as you are correct it's difficult to extend, I'm just saying that like building more roads does not decrease traffic congestion building a big garage or shed doesn't guarantee that you will have loads of space to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Garage contents obey Boyles Law : they expand to fill all available volume. Ergo, build it any size you like.....

There's truth to Dels comment though.

At a minimum you need a parking space and a fixing space and at least a modest bench. Walls are underated for taking clutter off walls.

Oh, and, buy a bike lift/bench for working on your bike. The novelty of kneeling down no matter how grandiose your workshop quickly vanishes...and your joints will thank you.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Garage contents obey Boyles Law : they expand to fill all available volume. Ergo, build it any size you like.....

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my garage tidy so it'll never fill with junk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I hear ya. I started out like that too, when living at home in my mother's semi-d.

The current 8m x 12m emporium - with mezzanine lolz - wonders wtf happened to that guy... :rolleyes:

Oh, and, branching out into cars 'cos you have the space' doesn't help...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was too. Double garage turned into quarter of a single garage

• Advertisement

Does the 25 sqm limit for garages apply if they are behind the house in the garden ?

I have my eye on a 35 sqm precast garage at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

You can build it any size if you don’t put a concrete floor into it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Does the 25 sqm limit for garages apply if they are behind the house in the garden ?

Yes.

See Class 3 exempted development:
    CLASS 3

The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure.

1. No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.

2. The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.

3. The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.

4. The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

5. The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.

6. The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

You'd need a big garden (at least in Dublin) for a 35sqm shed.

25sqm (minimum free space) + shed (35sqm) + 40sqm (if you ever want to an extension, which you probably will at some stage).

So that's 100sqm, there's houses with that in Dublin, but not many.

Outside Dublin, that's a small garden :-p

colm_c wrote: »
    You'd need a big garden (at least in Dublin) for a 35sqm shed.

25sqm (minimum free space) + shed (35sqm) + 40sqm (if you ever want to an extension, which you probably will at some stage).

So that's 100sqm, there's houses with that in Dublin, but not many.

Outside Dublin, that's a small garden :-p

I'm moving to Co.Dublin due to my needs. By needs I mean I need a big garage :D

Two big bikes with sticky-outy engines and possible more mean we need the room.

What view do insurance companies take on the likes of stealtech type sheds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What view do insurance companies take on the likes of stealtech type sheds ?
    No difference to me with the last few years anyway.
    There was a time when they'd ask me was it a concrete shed but surely any shed is only as secure as it's door, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

In the middle of building 9m x 6m garage/man cave myself, going with block cavity rather than a prefab jobbie

I've decided on a 25sq meter shed from Shannette. I'll post progress picks when I get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I've decided on a 25sq meter shed from Shannette. I'll post progress picks when I get started.

I hear they come recommended alright, good luck with it! I've a few progress pics of mine but I'll not highjack your thread lol

Advertisement