Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2017-18

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

6Cb9mgu.png

... Ireland and SW-UK ...

A gradually filling depression with a warm-core anomaly approaches Ireland during the night with a weakening gradient wind event along the S-periphery of the depression. Strong subsidence in the well mixed post frontal air mass should limit the overall chances for thunderstorm activity during the night, although some low-end chances exist over offshore areas (e.g. Celtic Sea). A severe wind gust risk accompanies convection, but in general the gradient wind risk should dominate. Hence no level area was issued for now.
    At 03 UTC onwards the Irish Sea and W-UK may need some monitoring as dry air aloft overspreads a well mixed/moist BL air mass with slowly intensifying lift. We expanded the lightning area to the east and issued a small level 1 to account for enhanced downward transport of 25 m/s winds at 850 hPa (which may increase the general severe wind gust threat next to the gradient wind threat). Despite favorable kinematics, the tornado risk remains marginal at best due to very little CAPE.

Perhaps a few sferics around the S, SE, E coasts overnight or just inland ?

65pixba.png

piIe2Fg.png

LQupE5m.png

CKyw3w1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The parameters there for convection tomorrow with some chance of isolated thunderstorms I think . Big convective gusts in the showers.

tempresult_fls8.gif

h1KIqXQ.png

4ECdRsf.png

XTEszvI.png

GE3sUnZ.png

A convective outlook for this Saturday as a trough traverses the country bringing very cold mid and upper temperatures aloft over relatively warm SST's.Plenty of scope for convection to produce hail and strong squally gusts. Most of the CAPE over the sea at this time of the year with little diurnal heating, Good lapse rates and decent DLS over land but will that be enough to produce sparks over land or will the pulse like cells fizzle out over the sea. I'm wondering given that there is plenty of wind from the NW that this might help some electrified convection produce some lightning activity along Atlantic coasts or maybe carry inland a bit?

XKM3j1l.png

vRlTQZW.png

J8Isjbd.png

hgp806U.png

Interesting charts for tomorrow with good potential for big convective showers with the possibility of hail and thunder.

arpegeuk-21-30-0_ohg7.png

arpegeuk-16-30-0_eyu7.png

tempresult_xww0.gif

g0KQLxJ.png

atqgY9B.png

bz1u2wp.png

and later on in the evening

wNIP2G3.png

Y7AgeL0.png

zrLFT6X.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Strike quite a bit off the west coast.

• Advertisement

Very little detected so far today. Just heard thunder here near Tralee, sferic showed up just over the Slieve Mish Mts outside Tralee.

KGbcm3Y.png?1

Just wondering could we get a few sparks overnight . Seems to have the parameters for convection as the trough passes over the relative warm SST's aided by cool uppers and some DLS to boot. A few sparks well off the W coast this evening. Or is there going to be too much mixing from the windy conditions to allow convection to form all the way to getting electrified ?

tempresult_mpl5.gif

tempresult_xsj4.gif

aH753VF.png?1

arpegeuk-21-8-0_hem5.png

UYSMnRW.png

vTrBx27.png

o4Cub35.png

Only a couple of sferics recorded overland last night/ today. Had some big squally hail showers near Tralee which woke us up during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Has to be one of the least thundery summer and autumn seasons in recent memory, I've only heard one rumble since moving back in May and that was on the day I arrived! There was one night where the south coast had a few short lived storms but apart from that I can't remember a single day of any note

Has to be one of the least thundery summer and autumn seasons in recent memory,
    Yea that is for sure . Enjoying keeping a focus on the set up's for potential and learning why convection formed and why it became electrified or not. Ireland only ever seems to be very borderline at best whether thunderstorms are going to form or not and usually of the pulse nature, of course we don't get the heat and humidity needed for the very big events but we do get some big storms from time to time the most recent I'm thinking of Donegal and the North of the country this August . Anyway the learning goes on ..... gKouB9l.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Some flashes of lightning here around 6.00am as shower moved in. NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Met Eireann just tweeted that there's a thunderstorm off the SW coast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yep, mixed showers across the country too.
    Taken from net weather.

434347.png

A few sferics around today including the thunderstorm referred to by Met Eireann this morning . Sat Pic around late morning showing some large cloud off the SW with evidence of convection.

qvjO2lq.gif

jVtDq6X.png?1

ct1ovY0.jpg?1

Ongoing slight risk of thunder this evening.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/934092899368734721

yzgq62V.png

vJALpmI.png

A few more sferics inland this afternoon, no doubt hail showers as well.

2hux9s9.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of strikes north of Donegal now

Chance for convection to build today. Met Eireann mentioning a risk of thunder and some showers turning wintry on high ground.

arpegeuk-28-15-0_pco6.png

tempresult_irq0.gif

tempresult_ffr3.gif

nmm_uk1-21-8-4_yrc3.png

nmm_uk1-16-9-4_xrk5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can see big cb clouds off the Wexford Coast atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Here's a livestream of the Mt Agung volcano erupting, with quite a nice Thunderstorm going on behind it at present.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can see big cb clouds off the Wexford Coast atm

Was thinking this might be the place for some activity this evening, only one strike showing up so far off the Wexford coast .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

It's so clear this evening that I can very clearly the top of a shower in Galway bay, near Galway city.... I'm SE of Enfield, in Co Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

highdef wrote: »
    It's so clear this evening that I can very clearly the top of a shower in Galway bay, near Galway city.... I'm SE of Enfield, in Co Kildare.
    I guess them flat earth nutjobs could be right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

highdef wrote: »

I can see all the way to the moon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Some lightning activity near Wales over the past few hours. This is occurring in streamer activity also known as a "Pembrokeshire Dangler" - at the moment causing heavy rain, hail and sleet but can obviously cause heavy falls of snow with better upper temperature profiles. Surprised by how close the convection further north in the Irish Sea is to my location, about 25 km due east of the S Dublin Coast. Doubt we'll see anything here, but a shower of sleet or hail would be great to break this Northerly monotony for a little while.

qIc28fh.gif

am9FZgR.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Over 500 kJ/kg SBCAPE generating that streamer off the Greystones coast right now (red dot). 850 temperature is -5 °C still the freezing level is at around 800 m amsl. It just shows how difficult it is to get snow with anything warmer than -8 or -9 °C 850 temps.

434744.PNG

434741.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Will MT have his Winter forecast up by Thursday? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Driving into Dublin on the N7. Could have sworn I just seen a flicker out at sea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yes some lightning activity in the Irish Sea streamer

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement