Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Danbo! wrote: »
    Look at this footage from the AA from this morning. Almost 99% sure this person is texting or on their phone, you dont just hit a parked like that if paying attention. Across the road, the white car has to go for the footpath to avoid, with a couple of cyclists behind and pedestrian on the footpath.

This is the type of bull**** selfish inattentive driving that will catch out even the most cautious and law-abiding cyclist.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/869873890960396288

Surprised it wasn't phrased like this:

"A parked car collided with a hatchback travelling towards town." :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

check_six wrote: »
    Surprised it wasn't phrased like this:

"A parked car collided with a hatchback travelling towards town." :mad:

Or maybe "a parked car, that would not have been there had their owner, a keen cyclist, driven to work instead of cycling, collided with...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

"The parked car's lights were off at the time of collision and was dark black, as opposed to fluorescent yellow"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Look at this footage from the AA from this morning. Almost 99% sure this person is texting or on their phone, you dont just hit a parked like that if paying attention. Across the road, the white car has to go for the footpath to avoid, with a couple of cyclists behind and pedestrian on the footpath.

This is the type of bull**** selfish inattentive driving that will catch out even the most cautious and law-abiding cyclist.

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/869873890960396288

Not a near miss though, was a pretty solid hit! :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

reporting on whether the driver was injured would be a rather significant thing to report on, surely?
    you can see the pedestrian had a lucky escape from the video, but not how the driver fared.
    Okay, so maybe:

"The pedestrian had a lucky escape. The driver was unharmed, and is now assisting the gardai with their enquiries"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

"The parked car's lights were off at the time of collision and was dark black, as opposed to fluorescent yellow"

It looks like it's parked in a cycle lane too*. I wonder what time the incident took place? Was the car parked illegally?

* https://goo.gl/maps/eFWKQjNu7EM2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

"In that case both parties are equally negligent. Insurance costs will be split 50/50."

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I'd put my money on it being a texter too. I was waiting at the lights yesterday in Rathmines and this car just sailed through not noticing the red. Bit bizarre but made sense once she passed me and I saw that she was texting away on her phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've removed the tweet it seems. But why? They went too soft on the driver be honest.(unless there was a medical emergency such as a stroke etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Can you imagine if this was a cyclist swerving towards a parked car and hitting it? Joe Duffy would get the whole week out of it. Actually, given the seriousness of the collision and having the potential to take out some other road users or pedestrians, amazed what little coverage this got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Just had a close one approaching the turn into my estate, here, it's not the widest road out there. The lights previous had been red so there was a string of traffic on each side of the road. The traffic cleared on the opposite side of the road so a couple of cars over took me. I shoulder check, notice a gap and see a car approaching ahead, signal whilst checking my shoulder again and it's still clear so begin to move out. As soon as I moved I hear the car behind me gun it and he goes speeding past me. Had to check my maneuver whilst he flies past giving only about half a meter clearance all to save himself about 5 seconds. Didn't catch his reg. Car behind him gave me a thumbs up and let me make my turn, fair sound of him.

I honestly don't understand this mentality. I can only presume that he failed to notice my back light, my check & signal and the car coming the other way...I really hope the 5 seconds were worth risking mine, his and the other drivers safety...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The video YOU (tramore road )put up shows you taking the left lane and then switching to the right hand one. If anyone did that to me, car truck, motorbike or push bike I'd beep at ye.

The fault is completely on you and not the car.

I signalled 40 meters before and continuously that I was turning right at the up coming roundabout, despite this the silver car which was going straight tried to overtake me , including crossing a solid white line, when the lane was formed I could not get into the lane safely as the car was on my immediate right still overtaking me , the driver still trying to overtake me was forced back into the lane and back over the solid line, forced to brake, thats when she beeped at me.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2236219,-7.1275302,3a,75y,27.22h,90.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPFZypRi3Y8u6Fk3Q0Otw2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

The fault is completely on you and not the car.
    Definitely not the fault of the car. It only goes where it is driven.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chiparus wrote: »
    I signalled 40 meters before and continuously that I was turning right at the up coming roundabout, despite this the silver car which was going straight tried to overtake me , including crossing a solid white line, when the lane was formed I could not get into the lane safely as the car was on my immediate right still overtaking me , the driver still trying to overtake me was forced back into the lane and back over the solid line, forced to brake, thats when she beeped at me.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2236219,-7.1275302,3a,75y,27.22h,90.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPFZypRi3Y8u6Fk3Q0Otw2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I am pretty sure overtaking a vehicle on the side that it is indicating is a big no-no. Trucks often take the "wrong" lane for a turn so that they can make it but I guarantee you, the driver would not have done that maneuver if the truck was indicating. Whether anyone likes it or not, you were on the right hand side of the left lane, only a moron would think you were not going over. A bicycles position on the road should be used as an indicator as well and treated as such for anyone with a sniff of sense.

Left of lane, turning left or straight through. Middle of lane, most likely straight through but could go either way. Right of lane, turning right or straight through.

Regardless, in all these situations, you should never overtake a vehicle going through or coming upto a junction anyway, because none of us are mind readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Had this one particular van driver overtake at a stupid spot and way too close on the N81 heading towards Citywest this morning. Funnily enough on my way home he passed me again in Newcastle and allowed acres of room - learned from his mistake or just rushing out the door and not bothered to wait first thing this morning?

The second incident shows why you should ALWAYS shoulder check when overtaking, going around a drain or shore etc - if I hadn't had done a shoulder check the black Civic who was not waiting to go around me properly would have creamed me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Yep, that second one is all too common

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Taxi man pulls halfway onto the path, then almost doors me as I go by, dunno why he chose me and not the other cyclist, Couldn't move out any further as there was a bus coming alongside on my right.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

papu wrote: »
    Taxi man pulls halfway onto the path, then almost doors me as I go by, dunno why he chose me and not the other cyclist, Couldn't move out any further as there was a bus coming alongside on my right.:confused:
    Hard to be certain, but that almost seems deliberate - as if he saw you before he opened the door, and went ahead anyway.

Report that. That's penalty points for the parking if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not sticking up for him at all, he nearly got you killed

But maybe when he pulled in he seen the bike in front of you, slightly opened the door and when that bike passed he began opening, you cant see anyone from the side mirror when its slightly opened as you probably know.

Either way hes an idiot for doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not trying to excuse the taxi driver here, but you should have given him a much wider berth (that said, i cannot see if that was possible) - a taxi pulling in is ripe for causing a dooring, and you can see he was opening the door a couple of seconds before you reached him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

not trying to excuse the taxi driver here, but you should have given him a much wider berth (that said, i cannot see if that was possible) - a taxi pulling in is ripe for causing a dooring, and you can see he was opening the door a couple of seconds before you reached him.

Dunno bout you but I'd take a door over the wheels of an 8 tonne bus.
    out any further as there was a bus coming alongside on my right.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

What, pull out in front of the passing bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

Chiparus wrote: »
    What, pull out in front of the passing bus?

Would it have been a case of 'pulling out in front of a bus'?
    The cyclist in front has done a life saver beforehand, would appear to have decided that the bus didn't pose a risk and given enough room to avoid the opening door.

I wasn't there so I'm only going by what I can see in the footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Warning. A rambling rant.

I've found maybe since January that my commute is just getting more stressful. Maybe its just me, maybe an increase in traffic, but things seem more tense. I've been cycling almost the same route for 13 odd years and just by looking at my own posts in this thread, including getting hit by a van driven by an imbecile, I can see things are worse. I left the house this morning and realised I was already preemptively stressed, when a neighbour gave me a big cheery hello and I thought, screw this, I'm going to enjoy my cycle again. I'll just ignore all the **** I see and just do my best to get to work. It didn't last long.

I've always been tempted to say something to an RLJ, but don't want get all CycleDub on it so easier to leave it, and let idiots be idiots.

This morning though, of all mornings with my attempted positivity, I was tapped on the shoulder while waiting at a light and as I turn around, a guy on bike is pushing his way past me. I made the mistake of saying "ah come on man, it's a red light" to which he replied a long list of expletives while cycling into the junction. Caught up to him, proving it didn't save home much time, and got a tirade of abuse as I passed, all the way from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. I (again, stupidly) said there's no need to be so aggressive, and he then invited me to fight him. He actually pulled onto the path and got off his bike. He was about 35 for Christs sake.

I dunno. I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I've found maybe since January that my commute is just getting more stressful. Maybe its just me, maybe an increase in traffic, but things seem more tense. I've been cycling almost the same route for 13 odd years and just by looking at my own posts in this thread, including getting hit by a van driven by an imbecile, I can see things are worse. I left the house this morning and realised I was already preemptively stressed, when a neighbour gave me a big cheery hello and I thought, screw this, I'm going to enjoy my cycle again. I'll just ignore all the **** I see and just do my best to get to work. It didn't last long.

I've always been tempted to say something to an RLJ, but don't want get all CycleDub on it so easier to leave it, and let idiots be idiots.

This morning though, of all mornings with my attempted positivity, I was tapped on the shoulder while waiting at a light and as I turn around, a guy on bike is pushing his way past me. I made the mistake of saying "ah come on man, it's a red light" to which he replied a long list of expletives while cycling into the junction. Caught up to him, proving it didn't save home much time, and got a tirade of abuse as I passed, all the way from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. I (again, stupidly) said there's no need to be so aggressive, and he then invited me to fight him. He actually pulled onto the path and got off his bike. He was about 35 for Christs sake.

I dunno. I give up.

The benefits he gets from cycling will be undone by his stress as he gives himself a stress induced stroke or heart attack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I dunno. I give up.

Tell him or one like that they look beautiful...

I do come across that type of aggression regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

he replied a long list of expletives while cycling into the junction.
    got a tirade of abuse as I passed, all the way from Patrick's cathedral to Christchurch. I (again, stupidly) said there's no need to be so aggressive, and he then invited me to fight him. He actually pulled onto the path and got off his bike. He was about 35 for Christs sake.

I dunno. I give up.

A valuable sighting of the Lesser Stupid Gobshíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I don't engage with anyone. I let people come around me, if someone is on my shoulder I freewheel and let them pass. If cars or bus's are closing in I hit the brakes and let them sail on.

I leave 15 mins early every morning and that way commuting isn't stressful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement