Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hkc alarm rf low battery fault

Options
  • 13-03-2017 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I have a 4 year old hkc alarm system wireless with one wired pir sensor and a GSM unit it also has 2 fobs .I'm getting a fault saying "rf low battery contact engeer" I replaced all unit batterys checked voltage of main 12v battery and the 8v battery on bell box all okay.I was just wondering if the fault needs to be just deleted, some how?
    I don't know how to access service menu to find location of Fault any guidance would be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

scooby21 wrote: »
    Hi I have a 4 year old hkc alarm system wireless with one wired pir sensor and a GSM unit it also has 2 fobs .I'm getting a fault saying "rf low battery contact engeer" I replaced all unit batterys checked voltage of main 12v battery and the 8v battery on bell box all okay.I was just wondering if the fault needs to be just deleted, some how?
    I don't know how to access service menu to find location of Fault any guidance would be greatly appreciated..

Have you the engineer code off the system?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The fault should clear itself.Have you a meter to check the battery voltages on all the devices? One might be iffy.
    Engineer code would also be handy as it will tell you which device is the problem in the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scooby21

KoolKid wrote: »
    The fault should clear itself.Have you a meter to check the battery voltages on all the devices? One might be iffy.
    Engineer code would also be handy as it will tell you which device is the problem in the log.

Yep I have tested all batteries at this stage and all are good. The beeping has now stoped but the fault is still in the system .i will contact the company that fitted it helpfully they will be nice enough to give me the access code ..
    Thanks

altor wrote: »
    Have you the engineer code off the system?

Nope afraid not . I will contact company that fitted it and see if they have it and will give it to me .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Let's know how you get on. Are you sure you are not missing a wireless device somewhere?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Let's know how you get on. Are you sure you are not missing a wireless device somewhere?

I did open the key pad panel as well but did not notice any battery in it ..should it have one that I might not have noticed?

The most common ones forgotten are wireless keyfobs /panic buttons.

Nope afraid not . I will contact company that fitted it and see if they have it and will give it to me .

If you have no joy, you could also try a default.
    If not engineer locked you can just default the codes and keep all other programming.
    The systems device status is the best option to find the fault when you get into engineer mode.

Ok so I got the engineer code and managed to get the fault so it's " rf low battery " "sb1 sabb 1"
    So am I right in saying that's the bell box outside?

That's correct.

• Advertisement

Ok it's a 8.4v 320mah battery 320 bvhx7 I was getting 8.5v on the meter but I wouldn't mind changing it anyway just incase it's dropping when under load and to rule it out..

Easy enough to change. You can disconnect the pack and change the batteries on the ground.

Ok so I got the engineer code and managed to get the fault so it's " rf low battery " "sb1 sabb 1"
    So am I right in saying that's the bell box outside?

Have you changed the batteries in the external bell?

I wouldn't mind changing it anyway just incase it's dropping when under load and to rule it out..

At 4 years old I would recommend changing it now. Better to keep all the batteries at the same age & not let them get staggered.

Ok it's a 8.4v 320mah battery 320 bvhx7 I was getting 8.5v on the meter but I wouldn't mind changing it anyway just incase it's dropping when under load and to rule it out..

Have you an external power supply or cable from the panel going to that bell?

It sounds like you are talking about the round back up battery as opposed to the battery packs normally used with the wire free bells.
    Especially with the voltage you are quoting.

altor wrote: »
    Have you an external power supply or cable from the panel going to that bell?

It sounds like you are talking about the round back up battery as opposed to the battery packs normally used with the wire free bells.
    Especially with the voltage you are quoting.

Yep that's what I have the bell has power supply with back up battery pack . I replaced the battery last night things did not go to plan
    The fault remains on the panel and I
    pressed a few wrong things in frustration I went into rf devices and default all rf devices so now I have removed all of the rf devices from system ðŸ˜
    Any chance someone has a manual or link to a video for installation or how to 're enroll the rf devices ?

I have PMed you that manual.
    Enrolment is easy enough and this should definitely show up where the error is coming from.
    If you need any help come back to us.

Thanks for all the help so far I'll keep ye posted .

You're welcome. If you get a chance post up a picture of the external bell. I'm curious where the RF SAB error was coming from.

Yep that's what I have the bell has power supply with back up battery pack . I replaced the battery last night things did not go to plan
    The fault remains on the panel and I
    pressed a few wrong things in frustration I went into rf devices and default all rf devices so now I have removed all of the rf devices from system ðŸ˜
    Any chance someone has a manual or link to a video for installation or how to 're enroll the rf devices ?

Ok so you have an external power supply with the round battery in the external bell?

If so have you looked at the power supply to see if this is causing the issue?

Adding devices is done in the RF device menu, add RF zone.
    Scan for devices, when it picked them up, press quit, then open and close the lid on the device to enroll them on the system.

Take a note of zone location plus number you enroll the device to for programming the names and options later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Llamedos

Does anyone know how to reset the engineering code, the company who put mine is is long gone.

Is the panel engineer locked?
    If not the panel can be defaulted by removing the mains power & battery,
    Remove the factory link marked JP1
    Power back up .
    If defaulted the factory codes will be
    Engineer 04567
    User 01111

If it is engineer locked any good installer can reset it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

hey Kool if you dont have the engineers code is it easy to get?

torrevieja wrote: »
    hey Kool if you dont have the engineers code is it easy to get?

Unfortunately we are no longer allowed help you here with engineer codes.
    Any good installer would be able to reset the system for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ollie111

Alarm panel is showing battery fault.,
    I undertand that I need to turn off power and change batttery but I am falling at the first hurdle! How do I open alarm panel??
    There is a button on the base and a screw. Do i need to take screw out?
    Are batteries easy to source? Where would I get one in Cork City please.

Funds are low at the moment so would prefer to do it myself and not call out alarm company :(

All alarms are different and I am not an electrician or qualified in any way.

My unqualified advice is as follows..
    Turn off the trip switch on your mains board. ALWAYS
    Mine was similar to yours with the one screw. The battery sits loose in the case with just 2 wires attached. But be prepared to have someone at the alarm panel with the code as most units have tamper sensors to prevent dishonest tradesman who might have had access to your home trying to disable your system. So even with the power off the siren may go off if the battery has some power for such an event.
    Remove wires from the battery separately. ( they usually can be pulled off easily)
    Do not touch both terminals at once.

I believe most systems have generic batteries, the voltage is on the side of the battery if i remember correctly.
    Use google to find a supplier or alarm wholesaler in your area or buy online.
    Mine was as below. 12v.
    My battery last year cost €17 only.
    Make sure your terminal coloring's are correct red to red etc if the wires have no distinct colours put some tape on the one you are removing from the red terminal.
    Bring the battery with you to the shop and let them dispose of it.
    If buying online dispose of the old one ethically please.

Easy peasy job. Click on the link below to view a generic battery.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/products/5375488/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Promotions-_-Lead+Acid_Bestsellers_April19-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-340070174288&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh6XmBRDRARIsAKNInDG1zdYLdiKcZStDVbrzBxlRWNUlnFUOnapJKTK2ZcaD43NHDV-57TQaAi6iEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Ollie111 wrote: »
    I undertand that I need to turn off power and change batttery but I am falling at the first hurdle! How do I open alarm panel??

Funds are low at the moment so would prefer to do it myself and not call out alarm company :(

The unit with the button and the screw underneath sounds like the remote keypad, that is not where the system battery is located.
    What system have you installed?
    Does the keypad have * and # buttons and does it have a male sounding voice sounding when the system is turned on and off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ollie111

Yes it has *and # keys. Female voice tho!!
    It says secure watch HKC on the front by speaker

FYI the battery is in the large white box, it is not in the alarm panel it's self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Yes it has *and # keys. Female voice tho!!
    It says secure watch HKC on the front by speaker

Are you certain that keypad has a female voice? I must have worked on thousands of that Securewatch model keypad and I have only ever heard a Male voice on it.

The newer Securewave model for the newer model panel has a female voice.

You will get a 12 volt 7 amp battery in AES, Kinsale Road. They are up by the Magic roundabout from Harvey Norman's

Advertisement