Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm very happy with my Google home units. I got three fir 99 each and they are flying together

My Google OnHub app changed overnight to google wifi

I love the quiz game, two player mode is fun. The sound is great too for the size and money.

TBH I've two dots and these . The control for the hue from Google home was right first time , I prefer it slightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Patww79 wrote: »

Well then great, as an engineer yourself, then you should know all about the technology adoption lifecycle and the correct technical definition of the term early adopter and thus by the very things you have said in this thread you clearly don't fall into the early adopter type, at least not for this particular technology.

Again no offense meant by that, it just is what it is.

Just like I'm not an innovator of HA tech (folks who bought into x10 over the last 20 years are) or how I'm not an early adopter of automobile tech (I find electric cars very interesting, but no way am I buying into it!).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK guys let's move past this, it's much to do about nothing.

It's the first IoT Barney though! You got in early there!

I hated those early devices TBH. I fired out 5 brand new windows CE units a couple of months back, poxy slow buggy jittery unreliable things. I had an iPhone one and a HTC dream, but the first functional phone I had that could actually send an email was a Nokia . The music express with GPS was good too, it was a great Sat nav and my first proper dual purpose device that allowed me to carry one item instead of two. The iPhone 4 and HTC Desire HD were the first phones I had that allowed me to leave the laptop at home.

It takes a while to get there. I'm using google home as a poor man's sonos set up, I'm happy with it as it was cost-effective and it's serving a good purpose for me, the other stuff will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry Stoner, yup back on topic!

For those interested, as promised, Google Opened up the Google Assistant API to third parties yesterday. This means that third party companies (like other Home automation tech companies), will be able to start integrating into Google Home (and also pixel, allo) in a similar way that we have Alexa skills on Amazon Echo.

It will likely take a month or two still before we see the first fruits of this, but great to see more integration to come.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your GHome's Stoner :)

Genuinely sorry Patww79 if you feel hard done by :( I hope you can forgive and forget and will be back soon.

Some third party actions are already starting to become available on Google Home and people are already having some fun with it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXw1d5eNEcw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

Any idea when Ghome will be able to play your own uploaded music, i have over 20,000 songs uploaded and one of the main reasons for buying this over an echo would be the ability to play my own music for free

It seems crazy that this feature isn't available from the get go as im sure im not the only one that would buy it for that reason

andy125 wrote: »
    Any idea when Ghome will be able to play your own uploaded music, i have over 20,000 songs uploaded and one of the main reasons for buying this over an echo would be the ability to play my own music for free

It seems crazy that this feature isn't available from the get go as im sure im not the only one that would buy it for that reason

You can sort of play your own uploaded music. You need to create playlists with your uploaded, you can then play those playlists. No you can't play your own music via song name, album or artist, just by playlist name.

I assume the limitation is a licensing one, rather then a technical one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭andy125

bk wrote: »
    You can sort of play your own uploaded music. You need to create playlists with your uploaded, you can then play those playlists. No you can't play your own music via song name, album or artist, just by playlist name.

I assume the limitation is a licensing one, rather then a technical one.

There is a giant thread on google support forum of people complaining about it where they say they are looking into it,

It will play from my phone if is ask for a song title or artist so it should be no different for ghome

andy125 wrote: »
    There is a giant thread on google support forum of people complaining about it where they say they are looking into it,

It will play from my phone if is ask for a song title or artist so it should be no different for ghome

Sure, to you and me there is logically no difference. But if you have followed the music industry over the years, then you will know they don't run on logic.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the music industry only agreed to license music to the Google Music service only if they agreed to hobble peoples own music in this manner.

Just speculation on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Months later and the Pixel phones don't look any closer to a release here so chances are we'll never see the Home officially.

You really think the chances are that the Home won't be released officially? :-D

On the contrary, I received mine yesterday and I happily predict that not only will it be officially launched but it'll be a success for them on a scale approaching that of the Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Have two of my Google Home's set up now - Voice recognition is better than Alexa. No problems whatsoever with Philips hue or harmony via IFTTT. Also it's better for Spotify - eg Alexa would not play any of my playlists. GHome does it no problem. Alexa wouldn't play Bell X1 for whatever reason. Ghome has no issues here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Google Home now fully compatible with Wemo products.

https://9to5google.com/2016/12/13/wemo-smart-outlets-google-home/

tallpaul wrote: »
    Google Home now fully compatible with Wemo products.

https://9to5google.com/2016/12/13/wemo-smart-outlets-google-home/

That is great news and the post also suggests that support for TP-Link, Lifx and Wink will be coming soon too. Hopefully the start of a lot of home automation tech gaining official support.

TP Link might be the best option for plugs as they are fairly cheap? Wemo are pretty expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Having both, I would opt for the TP-Link. Both are large and fairly chunky looking but the Tp-link Kasa app is superior. Wemo plug takes aaaggees to be picked up by the wemo app on an iPhone 6S.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Having both, I would opt for the TP-Link. Both are large and fairly chunky looking but the Tp-link Kasa app is superior. Wemo plug takes aaaggees to be picked up by the wemo app on an iPhone 6S.

Though considering this thread is about Google Home, it should be pointed out that Wemo works with Google Home (both natively now and via IFTTT), while TP-Link is still not currently supported on Google Home or IFTTT.

Wemo seems to have wider and better intergeneration support then TP-Link.

• Advertisement

You can now use Google Home to control Netflix, including selecting shows, play, pause, etc. Awesome :)

Also they have added support for Google Photos too. New functionality seems to be coming to GHome quickly now.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/15/13965326/google-home-netflix-photos-tv-support

Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone have option to setup netflix?

Saw mention of updating google app on reddit but made no difference for me.

edit: ignore me, language has to be changed to english united states. Had done that previously but must have changed at some stage. Netflix setting showing up ok now.

so a couple of weeks in and the three google homes are working great in a Group. you can have a speaker in one or more groups.

I'm not that happy with the google play music operation, but spotify is great.

I unplugged the echo on Monday and its still in a kitchen cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If I have a Home and a Smart TV, what's the benefit of getting Chromecast? Obviously it will allow me to mirror my laptop screen to the TV screen wirelessly (currently can do it via HDMI).

I already have Youtube/Netflix on my TV, Chromecast will allow me to pause/play/select Netflix shows via voice yeah? I can also play Google photo albums wirelessly/voice. IS there anythign else currently?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I already have Youtube/Netflix on my TV, Chromecast will allow me to pause/play/select Netflix shows via voice yeah? I can also play Google photo albums wirelessly/voice. IS there anythign else currently?

Youtube by voice too, but that is it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Hi bk,

So just to clarify, with a smart TV and Netflix, google home will control it?

Hi bk,

So just to clarify, with a smart TV and Netflix, google home will control it?

No, only works with Chromecast or Android TV (with Chromecast built in).

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I uploaded my entire music library to Play however it would appear that you cannot use home to play your music unless you also have a play subscription? Is this true? I can cast from play on my phone to home and that works but want to just ask for music directly and think a subscription is needed for this to work which is a bit annoying.

Advertisement