Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Comments

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wright had be in the mix for so long, I'd honestly just presumed he already was official.

Criminally underused in Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Silly question, but does Jeffrey Wright as Gordon basically confirm this will not be connected to DCEU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Criminally underused in Bond

And in general: he's one of those character actors who doesn't get the praise & billing he deserves. He was about the only vaguely "human" character in Westworld and that was 100% down to his performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

There has been a debate about the merits and demerits of the DCEU over the last while. Films like Aquaman and the proposed Green Lantern one were inevitable as a reaction to the Marvel ones. Unlike Marvel, DC has 3 characters called Batman, Wonderman and Superman who are more wellknown than the other DCEU characters. Marvel has had numerous equally popular characters like Iron Man, Spiderman and the Hulk among others.

Everyone has their favourites in DC and Marvel. For me, Iron Man is my go to Marvel and Batman my go to DC. Films like Justice League were a bit of a shock for a Batman fan in many ways. Batman fighting aliens did not seem right and the whole thing felt miles away from my favourites like Batman 1989, Batman Returns or the Dark Knight trilogy. It also felt like it was an answer to Marvel's Avengers and the like which worked better.

I have high hopes for The Batman and let's hope it steers clear of the overly sci fi of the Affleck films and returns to something more like Nolan or Burton. The related Joker is by all accounts the darkest Batman-related film ever. Will The Batman follow suit and will Phoenix's take on the Joker be part of it or a sequel? A grittier Batman would be the antidote to Justice League and all its excesses in a similar manner to how Batman Begins wiped memories of the excesses of Batman and Robin from our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,942 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"in talks", the pair of them.

Does anyone know where The Batman fits in with the rest of the Batman films. Is it a sequel to The Dark Knight Rises, Justice League or is it a total reboot? And how does Joker fit into the mix? Is that a prequel to Batman Begins and/or The Batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Does anyone know where The Batman fits in with the rest of the Batman films. Is it a sequel to The Dark Knight Rises, Justice League or is it a total reboot? And how does Joker fit into the mix? Is that a prequel to Batman Begins and/or The Batman?

I would imagine it's going to be a complete stand alone film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's supposedly a "day in the life" kinda film, and will bypass the traditional origin story. At least that's the scuttlebutt, doubtless we'll still get a Crime Alley flashback, just for those tribes in the Amazon who might not be sure what set Bruce Wayne down this path. Did you know his parents were shot?

Quite surprised by the Alfred announcement, and actually kinda disappointed Brosnan didn't get the nod as he'd have been a good one. Andy Serkis though, oddball choice; as ones conscience and surrogate Dad it's quite the image - no wonder Bruce went a bit nuts and dressed up as a bat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I wish they'd just reference Crime Alley, and not flashback to it, take a page from Marvel on how they introduced Spider-Man into the MCU, and that he'd been active for X amount of months.

Everyone and their dog should know the back story of both heroes by this stage, without being beaten over the head with an origin retelling in live action.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,942 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

peteeeed wrote: »

Matthew McConaughey is in talks for Harvey Dent/Two-Face

How many villains is this film having

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

Jesus this film is stacked with talent. Now if we can just get a decent story, we SHOULD be all good.

The question I'm wondering is... with Jokers success, how "hands off" will DC/WB be in light of that billion dollar hit? Batman is merchandising royalty so I want to say "not at all", and lord knows film studios often take all the wrong lessons from success stories, but you'd also hope Reeves, Pattinson et al will be given freedom enough to make their own film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

There are new heads in charge at WB/DC since the DCEU faltered. There's no reason why they won't take a hands off but ultimately profitable approach towards The Batman. That's what they essentially did with Nolan's trilogy and I'm sure they shifted plenty of merchandise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hopefully this film will be as good as Batman and Robin. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Jesus, the cha-ching sound effect as well. Haven't seen those movies since I first saw them, always liked to think I was being harder on them than I should have, and a rewatch would lend a kinder opinion. No....just seeing that clip kills that hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

In fairness, Clooney apologises for that film constantly.

Thing about those Schumacher films, in another universe they could have worked. To a lot of people, Adam West WAS their touch-point for batman, not the try hard Frank Miller era that popularised gritty Batman. I can sorta see what Joel Schumacher was trying to do (Burton's own films were goofy too TBH, albeit slathered in gothic macabre), channeling that dafter era.

Plus as far as he was concerned, he was directing films containing elements explicitly designed to sell toys. That's not to say I like either Forever or "& Robin", but it's not hard to see what they were going for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't forget the man asses and bat suit nipples :D

WTAF were they thinking? :eek:

If Boards was around in 1997 it would have been the Dark Fate thread x 1,000,000 :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thing about those Schumacher films, in another universe they could have worked. To a lot of people, Adam West WAS their touch-point for batman, not the try hard Frank Miller era that popularised gritty Batman. I can sorta see what Joel Schumacher was trying to do (Burton's own films were goofy too TBH, albeit slathered in gothic macabre), channeling that dafter era.

Plus as far as he was concerned, he was directing films containing elements explicitly designed to sell toys. That's not to say I like either Forever or "& Robin", but it's not hard to see what they were going for either.

I have always been a big fan of Batman films. I remember liking Forever at the time but find it very mediocre today. I loved the Burton films then and still love them now. Going to the 1989 Batman film and talking about it with my dad coming home and my mam when I got home is a vivid memory.

Schumacher's films would have worked in the 1960s or 1970s on the back of Adam West's Batman but Burton's films changed Batman's image ironically (to quote the name of the 1995 film) forever. Nolan's trilogy brought Batman to a new dimension where the villains and Batman himself became more realistic. Then, the Justice League type of film brought Batman into a sci fi world which imo is not suitable at all. In its own way, JL was as daft and OTT as B&R.
    Don't forget the man asses and bat suit nipples :D

WTAF were they thinking? :eek:

If Boards was around in 1997 it would have been the Dark Fate thread x 1,000,000 :eek: :eek:

This was corny and silly in the extreme and one of my least favourite parts of any Batman movie.

Hated Forever because even as a kid, I loved what Burton was doing. I was unhappy to see Keaton no longer there. I thought Kilmer phoned it in more than Clooney as well who I thought was excellent for the role, and just unfortunate that he was at the mercy of the people making the film.

Hated Forever because even as a kid, I loved what Burton was doing. I was unhappy to see Keaton no longer there. I thought Kilmer phoned it in more than Clooney as well who I thought was excellent for the role, and just unfortunate that he was at the mercy of the people making the film.

It is a shame George Clooney didn't get a better Batman film. He would have been excellent in a Burton film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »
    Going to see “the best of John Williams” in the national concert hall on Saturday fortnight , can’t wait. Love this sort of stuff!

Just to say this was just superb. Anybody who loves movies should consider going to one of these, makes me want to watch every movie he’s written music. Fantastic night out with my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Really can't picture Serkis as Alfred, I can easily picture Farrell as the Penguin as he has been piling on the weight over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Really can't picture Serkis as Alfred, I can easily picture Farrell as the Penguin as he has been piling on the weight over the last decade.

Yea... He's getting so fat :rolleyes:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/26/colin-farrell-shirtless-workout-dad-shorts-mohawk/

I can see Serkis doing a nicely reserved Alfred. Need a change from the constant Military background portrayal bollox. The Nolan Trilogy, BvS, Gotham and Pennyworth (not that I watched it) have beaten that horse to death.

I can see Serkis doing a nicely reserved Alfred. Need a change from the constant Military background portrayal bollox. The Nolan Trilogy, BvS, Gotham and Pennyworth (not that I watched it) have beaten that horse to death.

I get why they did. A posh English butler is very "one percent" these days and itself done to death. Also gives Bruce a more natural entry point into the dark arts of vigilantism that worked for character purposes. As you say it's a dead horse well beaten at this stage, but not sure if the character can go back to being DCs answer to Jeeves either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Matt Reeves confirms Andy Serkis will play Alfred
    https://twitter.com/mattreevesla/status/1194724432843067393?s=21

• Advertisement
Advertisement