Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting dog into pet carrier

Options
  • 21-05-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Bought our dog one of these about a month ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturdi-Products-Carrier-X-Large-Black/dp/B0027P0Q2S/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=xl%2Bsturdibag&qid=1556424584&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1-fkmrnull&th=1

To be able to take him more easily on the train, ferry etc. and he's being going in and out of it fine and can turn around etc. However, he won't go all the way in there and stay there.

Even if I continuously toss treats in the back he reverses out of the carrier (he can turn around in it if he wants to, I' ve seen him do it but for some reason chooses to reverse straight in/out of it instead?) and goes back in each time to get the next treat I have put in at the back while he was still there. Almost like he doesn't realise he can eat the treat without having to go in and out each time.

He has also learned that if he just kinda bows down and does this weird lean forward thing that he can get the treats at the back without going the effort of going the whole way in. He will go the whole way in though on his own through the day to see if there is anything there so it doesn't seem to be an issue of being afraid to go in.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I might get around these issues to progress to him being comfortable enough to at least stand in the carrier if not lie down for a few mins? Hoping if I can get to this that then we can start progressing to getting the door closed!

He gets all his meals and kongs inside it but the carrier isn't long enough to have his big dinner bowl + him inside at the same time with the door closed too and he just moves his kong from the back while eating it so that he can do his weird leaning thing and does not need to go in the whole way.

Comments

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Bought our dog one of these about a month ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturdi-Products-Carrier-X-Large-Black/dp/B0027P0Q2S/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=xl%2Bsturdibag&qid=1556424584&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1-fkmrnull&th=1

To be able to take him more easily on the train, ferry etc. and he's being going in and out of it fine and can turn around etc. However, he won't go all the way in there and stay there.

Even if I continuously toss treats in the back he reverses out of the carrier (he can turn around in it if he wants to, I' ve seen him do it but for some reason chooses to reverse straight in/out of it instead?) and goes back in each time to get the next treat I have put in at the back while he was still there. Almost like he doesn't realise he can eat the treat without having to go in and out each time.

He has also learned that if he just kinda bows down and does this weird lean forward thing that he can get the treats at the back without going the effort of going the whole way in. He will go the whole way in though on his own through the day to see if there is anything there so it doesn't seem to be an issue of being afraid to go in.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I might get around these issues to progress to him being comfortable enough to at least stand in the carrier if not lie down for a few mins? Hoping if I can get to this that then we can start progressing to getting the door closed!

He gets all his meals and kongs inside it but the carrier isn't long enough to have his big dinner bowl + him inside at the same time with the door closed too and he just moves his kong from the back while eating it so that he can do his weird leaning thing and does not need to go in the whole way.

Withhold the treat unless/until he stays in a few seconds, building it up until he actually stays in. If he thinks he’s still getting the treats without any further “work” on his part then he won’t learn the trick of “staying in carrier=treat”. It may take time and patience, this is the way doggies learn. You can try timing it by the no of seconds he might get to stay in. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the back of the carrier also open? Might having both ends open encourage use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Victor wrote: »
    Does the back of the carrier also open? Might having both ends open encourage use?

No sadly. I have been thinking about seeing weather it would be possible to get a zip put in as its rather awkward to get my hand right into the back fast enough before he gets out again or without accidently bopping off his head in the process and my arm/shoulder is in his way if I leave it in there while he gets in.

Advertisement