Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear under bike gear?!

• 21-05-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

This might be a really stupid question but I'm not sure what to wear under my bike gear.

I'm currently getting my own licence/bike but am going to Isle of Man TT pillion on my bf's bike. I have all the biking gear but I don't know what to pack to wear under my leather jacket. I will need to pack very light so there's no option to take half my wardrobe with me!! Are there any rookie errors? Just a t-shirt (will I freeze?) or should I go for a compression top (will I roast?). Bearing in mind I've been warned that I'll be standing around for 8+ hours a day in my leathers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Alkers

Light layers so you can adjust for temperature. Depends how tight your gear is also.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Light layers so you can adjust for temperature. Depends how tight your gear is also.

The leather trousers are ridiculously tight - hoping they will soften up once I've worn them a bit.

I might take the textile jacket instead then as it has a bit more space inside for layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    The leather trousers are ridiculously tight - hoping they will soften up once I've worn them a bit.

I might take the textile jacket instead then as it has a bit more space inside for layers.

We dont believe you...pictures please...:D...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Best base layer is merino wool but expensive. Alternatively synthetic base layer is good. Even running\cycling\yoga leggings would be useful.
    Long-sleeved t-shirt. If synthetic I use a cotton T underneath for comfort.

Depends on how warm the lining of your jacket is really.
    Bring some comfy trousers. I think you'll be glad you did! And some good rain gear - with a hood. Or a small folding umberella.

You probably wont be doing much riding (careful now !!) so i'd just bring a longsleeved top and a few t-shirts...deffo bring shorts/jeans and comfy shoes too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

For under the leathers or textiles, compression leggings and a t-shirt, have a spare in case you get cold. To be honest, if I'm touring I wear leather trousers and textile jacket rather than full leather.

zubair wrote: »
    For under the leathers or textiles, compression leggings and a t-shirt, have a spare in case you get cold. To be honest, if I'm touring I wear leather trousers and textile jacket rather than full leather.

Thanks. I have compression leggings/grappling spats so I'll try a pair under the leathers. And bring my textile jacket.

I can't use textile trousers as there's nothing on his bike to hold onto and I literally slide off the seat sideways when he leans on corners which is sh*t scary! The leathers at least stick to the seat a bit which helps.

Thanks. I have compression leggings/grappling spats so I'll try a pair under the leathers. And bring my textile jacket.

I can't use textile trousers as there's nothing on his bike to hold onto and I literally slide off the seat sideways when he leans on corners which is sh*t scary! The leathers at least stick to the seat a bit which helps.

You can get something for that. No, not sedation. A grippy seat cover that slides over the pillion saddle. "Tri-something" brand I think.
    Tie a strap around the rider's waist for a hand hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spider2

I had a girlfriend that put her hands around me and against the tank, If I braked hard I didn't have her 8st on my back, pushing my helmet over my eyes, and when accelerating she could hold on to me. Anyway, would you prefer to be too warm/cold in leathers OR skin grafts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,819 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Buy love handles if the bike has no pillion hand grips.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Oxford-Rider-Grips-Pillion-Grab-Handles/m-m-15080.aspx?PartnerID=16&gclid=Cj0KCQjww47nBRDlARIsAEJ34bnruSbUMQAmyMyl8pd9lvZZ2SVR4xaZSDh_27IREhAIkuIfv2RQodUaAh3YEALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Ireland

You will be roasting wearing leathers and gear underneath and since it summer it won't get too cold during the day, so the leather or textile trousers alone will be fine. For the top a light top will be enough, if you start feeling cold just put on the bike jacket. Bring plenty of water.

• Advertisement

Tie a strap around the rider's waist for a hand hold.

I think he'd tell me to get off and walk if I suggested that!!
    spider2 wrote: »
    I had a girlfriend that put her hands around me and against the tank, If I braked hard I didn't have her 8st on my back./QUOTE]

I'll try that. I have been holding onto his jacket but, as you say, when he brakes my full weight is then on his back. I know it can't be comfortable for him.
    spider2 wrote: »
    Anyway, would you prefer to be too warm/cold in leathers OR skin grafts.....

100%. When I'm on my bike, it's up to me what I wear but he won't let me on his bike unless I'm wearing full protection.

Thanks everyone for the help. Good advice for me generally and specifically for the Isle of Man trip. I just didn't want to get there and be a complete fish out of water.

Also, it's our first trip away together so I don't want to spend the whole time moaning that I'm too cold or too hot because I didn't bring the right stuff to wear!!

Thanks everyone for the help. Good advice for me generally and specifically for the Isle of Man trip. I just didn't want to get there and be a complete fish out of water.

Also, it's our first trip away together so I don't want to spend the whole time moaning that I'm too cold or too hot because I didn't bring the right stuff to wear!!

Dont worry, you'll probably end up buying TT stuff to wear anyway....:)

I'll try that. I have been holding onto his jacket but, as you say, when he brakes my full weight is then on his back. I know it can't be comfortable for him.
    Maybe rider technique needs to adapt for pillion on-board.
    Ye cannae change the laws of momentum, captain.

Advertisement