Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experiences/opinions of Portobello Institute, Progressive College etc

• 29-04-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am considering doing an SNA/ECCE intensive short course and have come across good sounding ones in places including Portobello Institute and the Progressive College and was just wondering about people’s experiences and opinions with colleges like them and other similar/ further education colleges and courses?

I know a lot of people on here have had bad experiences with some of these ages (especially Portobello) but most of those threads are quite old so was just wondering if anyone had any up-to-date experiences or opinions of these places and their courses to know if any of them have upped their game.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Elainexxmbn

Hi I did the SNA course in college of progressive education it was great I would recommend it. My daughter has just finished a pre nursing in portebello institute and it was awful. Not what she was told it was at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Okay that’s good to know, thanks for answering!

Just to know, have you been able to get work as an SNA as a result of having done that course or were you just using it as a stepping stone into something else or that?

And did you do the Level 5 or Level 6 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Elainexxmbn

Hi, I did level 6. You have to do 5 first unless you have other equivalent level 5. I had Two that level 6s in related studies so got to skip 5 straight to 6. I've been working now as an SNA for 13 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Thanks for that!

From looking at it, to do a Level 6 one you don’t seem to have to have a Level 5 one so to save time, cost, efforts etc if I’m doing it I might try and bypass the Level 5 one and just go straight to the Level 6 one, especially since I already have my Leaving Cert, which seems to be deemed as being equivalent to a Level 5.

I was looking at doing the intensive one-week one so that I could get it done with in a short length of time, which type of one did you do (intensive, online, part-time or full-time)?

And were you able to get a job on the basis of having done that course or would you need to have other courses/qualifications too?

And what did employers think of that college and its courses, I.e are they reputable and recognised in the sector?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure that if i go to the time, cost and effort of going and doing a course that it’s worth my while!

Advertisement