Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - Basic as it Gets, what do I get for sure?

• 20-05-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

Booked a flight to Prague for 4 days with my friends and didn't pick anything to do with baggage. Just whatever you're given as default is what I took and I'm going to bring a schoolbag size piece of luggage, fairly small.

I flew with Ryanair in January of last year and brought the same bag and it was fine, but someone said to me there that a schoolbag would be too big! Only a handbag is allowed now, but as I said I got to Brighton and bag fine last year.

Any previous chancers, experiences? Thank you!

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

A schoolbag is fine. Large backpack, or two schoolbags, or a wheelie - not permitted as far as I know if you haven't paid for luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

If it fits under the seat it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Schoolbag is fine, most regular backpacks should be completely fine bar the big backpacker ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I have a backpack that's deceptively large, it has wheels and handle like a case but I never use them. When stuffed, it'll struggle to fit under the seat. I have used this for nearly 10 years flying with Ryanair. I had a very similar concern to the OP with the new baggage rules but then, ne'er a word was said to me back in March (STN to DUB and back) when I last used it. You'll be fine, OP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Normal size schoolbags will be fine. People chance their arm with far bigger stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

The "personal item" you are allowed with a non-Priority ticket can be up to 40cm x 20cm x 25cm. If your bag is smaller than that, you're good. If it's larger than that and can't be squeezed down to that size to fit in their measuring device, you might end up having to check it at the gate for a fee of €25 or so. How likely they are to actually measure it depends on how big it really is and how much of a rush they're in to board; if it's visibly oversized and clearly won't fit under a seat, it's likely to get measured these days, because they simply don't have the extra space in the overhead bins. If it's just slightly over those dimensions but would still fit under a seat just fine, they most likely won't bother checking it; I've never seen them measuring bags that look like they're probably small enough, only the ones where someone's clearly taking the piss trying to bring on a giant hard-sided wheelie suitcase or something as a "personal item".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have seen the staff stop people putting their 'under the seat' bag into the overhead lockers. Rightly so. I wish Ryanair would enforce their rules more.

Advertisement