Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Departed pets;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Hopefully this uploads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious and handsome Bruno.
    May him rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Only 2 weeks ago I said goodbye to my old companion Gonzo. He was a collie cross/Whippet. I rescued him from a local shelter. He was very nervous when I got him as a pup only about 6 months old or so. But I brought him around although he always had that nervous streak in him. He never liked the postman or any caller to the house. In November he got a cough and then the vet discovered a he had a mass in his chest. They were doing tests on him and when he come home that night he was very weak and vomiting. He died the next morning. But I will always remember the smile he gave me that night. Maybe he knew it was near the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I'm having a tough day today.
    This is Bobo.

auspicious wrote: »
    I'm having a tough day today.
    This is Bobo.

Please, tell us more.
    I've read something about you having a bad day about your cat in another thread, but I think I haven't understood.
    Bobo is cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Please, tell us more.
    I've read something about you having a bad day about your cat in another thread, but I think I haven't understood.
    Bobo is cute!

Poor Bobo had been missing since the end of March but he has sadly passed away. His body was found on railway tracks by a kind rail worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sadly we had to say Goodbye to our wee Georgie yesterday.

We were not sure what age Georgie was when we found him; we guessed 2-3 so he would have been 15-16 when he passed.

The last of out three West Highlander Terriers

Beyond devastated at the moment.
    3gDynqzm.jpg

We actually found him on the M1 Motorway.

When we picked him up we had our two Female Westies on the back seat, who were staring at this little dog we had just found.

He had lots of marks on him and weighed very little.

That night we put him in the bath for a good wash.

The two female Westie’s were peering in at him from the rim of the bath..

Eventually after searching for a home for him, we all became too attached to let him go.

The three dogs became inseparable and their daily interactions and adventures were a joy too sees.

They loved driving through “The Sally Gap”
    EWNil2lm.jpg

And stayed near Glendalough in a beautiful log cabin in Glenmalure Valley
    bCIn7M3m.jpg

From left………..Georgie………Colleen…………….Sally

All dearly loved and sadly missed R.I.P.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Adorable, each and every one.

So sorry for your loss. RIP Georgie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Monkie, the one pet i've had as an adult was a westie, i'm still pained by losing her, i can't imagine what you are feeling, my sympathies, sweet dogs, all three, RIP Georgie

MonkieSocks, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Someone up there made you and Georgie meet on the M1, it was meant to be, you were the right family for him.

RIP Georgie, run free on the meadows at the Bridge :(

• Advertisement

What a wonderful life you gave Georgie. Imagine how different his life would have been if you hadn't picked him up that day. Sleep tight Georgie and enjoy playing with your pals at Rainbow Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Rip Georgie.

I also had a dog called George /Georgie that passed, I love that name for a dog but I couldn't call another dog of mine that.
    Slightly of topic I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We had to say goodbye to the second of our two Westies this morning so I know that feeling. It's gut wrenching, life genuinely has a horrible sense of emptiness now that nothing could possibly fill. Packing away the basket, blankets and food and water bowls knowing they'll never be used again was soul destroying.

Can't really complain, life owed them nothing - he was 16 and five months when he passed, she was 16 and 7 months. I think the grief is much worse now for her, as after he passed six weeks ago we still had her to focus on.

I know most people aren't that lucky to have a pair of dogs live to such ripe old ages so really just trying to be grateful they had such long and relatively healthy lives and take some comfort from knowing that there was literally nothing more could've been done for them.

What a life they had and so many wonderful memories they gave us. I would trade everything I have in the world just for another week with both of them.

The first photo, they're about one. The second, they're just about sixteen.

They will be so badly missed until the day I pass on too. :(

478162.jpg

478163.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sorry for your loss TerrorFirmer, this might be a strange question but were they Max and Millie?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Losing two within six weeks is tough to deal with.

I love the photo from young to old... tells a life story.

Sorry for the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss Terrorfirmer, beautiful pics of adorable dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry for your loss TerrorFirmer, this might be a strange question but were they Max and Millie?

Yes, that's them. A regular fixture down in Renville, my father had the legs walked off them for the first 14 years of their respective lives, which I think added immensely to their longevity!

Sorry it took me a while to reply, honestly the grief is so strong I couldn't even bring myself to look back on the pictures I myself posted!

I'd never post them elsewhere, but at least here it's a place where people truly understand.

There is nothing worse for the upset than people who say things like "Ah, sure it's just a dog" or "can't you just get another one?".

They really were full fledged family members really. Irreplacable.

So sorry for your losses TerrorFirmer. Max and Millie were gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yes, that's them. A regular fixture down in Renville, my father had the legs walked off them for the first 14 years of their respective lives, which I think added immensely to their longevity!

Yes I've met many times them in Rinville, and was talking to your Dad that evening.

Gone but never forgotten

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Last week we had to say goodbye to Cassie, one of our family dogs. We believe she was 16/17 years old, so she had a long life, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

She was the sweetest, most pleasant little dog I ever met. She loved nothing more than finding a spot where the sun was shining to lie down and sleep in. She also sounded like Chewbacca when she growled, which wasn’t often in fairness!

She belonged to my dad’s partner, who’s currently extremely ill with cancer, and the loss has really hit her hard. She had Cassie for so long, and they were so inseparable. I worry about how much stress and upset this has added to her.

Our other dog doesn’t really know what to do. They got on well, most of the time. I’m told Fizz slept in Cassie’s bed the night after she passed. Hearing that broke my heart all over again.

I can’t upload any photos because this account is relatively new, but I easily took over a hundred photos of her on her last day with us.

Dogs really are one of the family. I miss you Cassie Baby

• Advertisement

All pets are part of the family, they really are!

RIP Cassie, you will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

Last week we had to say goodbye to Cassie, one of our family dogs. We believe she was 16/17 years old, so she had a long life, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

She was the sweetest, most pleasant little dog I ever met. She loved nothing more than finding a spot where the sun was shining to lie down and sleep in. She also sounded like Chewbacca when she growled, which wasn’t often in fairness!

She belonged to my dad’s partner, who’s currently extremely ill with cancer, and the loss has really hit her hard. She had Cassie for so long, and they were so inseparable. I worry about how much stress and upset this has added to her.

Our other dog doesn’t really know what to do. They got on well, most of the time. I’m told Fizz slept in Cassie’s bed the night after she passed. Hearing that broke my heart all over again.

I can’t upload any photos because this account is relatively new, but I easily took over a hundred photos of her on her last day with us.

So sorry to hear of your loss. They truly are a big part of our life. Only a dog owner understands it. Just remember the good times you had with her.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Unfortunately this morning I had to make the difficult decision to put my dads Border Collie down just before his third birthday when my dad was out following a battle against Epilepsy that in the end overwhelmed him.

Duke had been suffering for the last 18 months with idiopathic epilepsy and we had increased the bromide and phenobarbital several times and tried other drugs. Whilst the Pheno and Bromide mix worked best and always for a period before having to be upped a few times, his usual pattern of 3-4 fits a day for a few days and 5-6 weeks of being really well changed in the last week.

He has been fitting up to 10 times a day each day for the last week and has had more in the last week then in the last 9 months combined. Last night he seemed to not come properly around for fits and was falling and collapsing everywhere and struggling to support his weight even hours after the last fit. He started crying a fair bit and struggling for breath and I thought that might be the end then.

After carrying him to the vets, he surprisingly started wagging his tail and going back to the really well dog he had been over a week earlier. We decided with the vet that there was a small chance he may break out of the cycle, so they kept him in overnight and gave him IV drugs as one last go.

Unfortunately, despite doing bloodwork to work out highest doses possible and delivering it, Duke fitted a further 8 times in the night and the vets could not stop the seizures no matter what they tried and we had to make the difficult decision to put Duke to sleep just shy of his third birthday.

RIP to the most gentle, loving and agile and energetic dog I knew. Really tough to see how he would often go from huge highs to heart-breaking lows. My dad recently lost his wife suddenly and Duke really was a massive support to him.

I'm sorry you had to take this very hard decision, but you did it out of love for Duke, who will always be grateful for all the love you gave him, till the end, with the last gift. The gift of freeing him from his disease and pain.

I'm sorry for your dad too, who was receiving a strong support from Duke after the tragic loss of his wife. Duke and your dad's wife are playing together now, and they will both support and help your dad to pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

That's a tough one with him being so young but you did did all you could for him to give him the best chance possible. Especially tough on your father. A lost companion and best friend.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

With a very heavy heart, our little Mollie went to sleep this morning for the last time. Our first born. I'd have loved a life like hers. Was in poor health the past few months, and was coming up half her normal weight. No walk in the park will ever be the same again. You'll always be my best girl, sweet dreams.

480134.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Put my best pal Parnell to sleep on Friday, so sad about it, his decline was so quick within a mater of weeks he could no longer pick himself up all the time. He was a former guide dog trainee (lab and bernese mix) and fundraising dog for the Irish guide dogs. Such a strange weekend, my whole routine was based around him and had to stop myself putting out his food.

60560152_2468283913215655_4158973225360949248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=07c65b6be7fe1ac0ea960b626da52368&oe=5D9892D0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Can’t sleep. Lost our best buddy Dewie yesterday evening.

He was the coolest most chilled out loyal adorable dog anybody could ever ask for and I hope he’s doing well in doggie heaven. Whole family are so upset and it’s not helping that our other dog is going around the house looking for him even though we brought him home to be put to rest with us.

Dewie 2005 - 2019

481021.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

so very sorry for any poster grieving the loss of a
    dearly loved pet. looking at the beautiful pictures puts a smile on my face. they are just so perfect..so adorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Had to say goodbye to my beloved Molly yesterday. I'm absolutely devastated. She was nearly 16 years old and had a great life but I'm still in bits. Her decline was gradual but eventually she was in a position where she couldn't get up by herself and her quality of life had diminished. I miss her terribly.

Advertisement