Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A2 or bust

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So training has went poorly for awhile now, really struggling to do anything bar my commute. I have given some time to practice sprinting as it is clearly my weak point, and I definitely have the legs and strength to put in a decent sprint, just need to hit the ground running form next week.
    Club league starts for me next week as well which is always a good way to get back into form really quickly, I had hoped to be getting out to Mondello or the Track League but life is too hectic.
    Have signed up for the Frank O'Rourke, I was really strong in this last year except for when I had to pull out as I was about to void my bowels due to mild food poisoning. Also signed up for the Galway Classic, first race outside Leinster in a few years. I spent my youth racing lanes like this against friends and tractors, it really looks like fun and one of the few flat courses that might suit me.
    Will do a FTP test next week to see has much changed.

First club league race last Thursday, it ended with me feeling that I never wanted to ride a bike again, so not a great feeling. It was just awful from the first 100m until the last. Legs felt tired and sore after 100m, thought they might waken up but nothing really happened. I was able to dig in if needed but never felt the want too unlike my typical races so far this year. The temperature dropped to 4degrees over the race and I couldn't warm up. Second lap I got dropped slightly off the back. I could have caught them but my mind wasn't in it. I didn't lose too much time and finished off the race but I really just felt no love for the experience.

After three weeks of no training and a stupid amount of boozing, it's time to get back in the saddle. Off the booze until the next race is over. Weight is still holding and not over 80kg but I was down belwo 78kg before the boozing started.

Here are the upcoming events:

Kilmessan GP - family dependent
    Paddy Flanagan Memorial - should definitely be there after missing the Newbridge GP this weekend
    Eddie Tobin Memorial Road Race - it is in Wexford so should definitely be there
    Stephen Roche Grand Prix - unlikely to be upgraded in time
    Galway Classic - very excited about this one, it is short for A4 but it is pretty much the style of roads I grew up cycling on, also with the length, goign from the gun is a realistic option.
    Christy MacManus & Ronnie Coates Memorial - Hard one to swing as I am technically on holiday but will try and get to it
    Laragh Classic (if upgraded) - also if not marshalling
    Cycling Ireland Masters & A3 Road Race Championships
    Cycling Ireland Hill Climb Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any idea of what hte route is like? I've got M40 on my license so not sure if i'd like to be racing around hills with A1 & A2 lads.

dahat wrote: »

Any idea of what hte route is like? I've got M40 on my license so not sure if i'd like to be racing around hills with A1 & A2 lads.

Not a clue, it's been run by Gorey so I presume one of the bumpier Wexford routes, maybe the Wexford County Champ course from 2016 or Barnadown route. Other than that nothing, probably won't be announced for awhile either as its not until mid September. The second day of the Wexford 2 day could also be a great route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

Heard its going to be the Sunday afternoon stage of the Gorey 3 day, laps of Craanford :mad:, heard this in Gorey over easter.

royrogers wrote: »
    Heard its going to be the Sunday afternoon stage of the Gorey 3 day, laps of Craanford :mad:, heard this in Gorey over easter.

I'm assuming this isn't good got non climbers?

I'm assuming this isn't good got non climbers?

This is the route here if I have it done right: https://www.strava.com/routes/18945992

CramCycle wrote: »
    This is the route here if I have it done right: https://www.strava.com/routes/18945992

I may stay at home, last dig looks nasy. :eek::eek:

Jaysus, 3 days of not drinking and I came 1st in Semi Limit in the local league Hill Cimb last night. This was partly helped by the feeling that people didn't give 100% whereas I had to lie on the ground and wait 10 minutes for my heart to stop exploding out my ears on every beat. Started poorly, feeling like I was going to red line before we even got near the steep parts. Tried to drop gears to spin it out but nothing was really happening in a positive light. Seen my minute man just before the steep part, a few seconds later I realised he had caught his minute man. I took my two minute man who had set off strong but blew 1/4 of the way in. I then overtook my minute man at the halfway point. We went back and forth with each other for the next km, till I decided to stop paying attention to him, just put the head down and spin. Coming to the last 300m, I can see the line and stupidly for the first time, I look behind me. My vision is blurry but I can see him only 100m shy of me. I push it up a few gears and out of the saddle. I am barely moving but I simply use my weight to force the bike forwards, and start to pull away a bit. Managed to clear the line about with some time to spare on him, only to realise that it was my minute man who was chasing me and I had dropped mine on the climb, he actually rolled in a minute down on me.

1st in Semi Limit, and 10th overall on the night, being beaten only by A1s, A2s and an A3 sandbagger :p

I got home to pains in my chest, struggling to breathe and weirdly pain behind one of my eyeballs. Today I am just stiff and unable to move rather than in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Get yourself to the Curragh on Sunday!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Get yourself to the Curragh on Sunday!

I really want too as its one of my favourite courses and I done really well on it last year, and with a bit more tactical nuance I could have done very well. Unfortunately family life calls and there will be no racing this weekend which is annoying, there is a certain joy in making a break just before the climb on that course.

So prepping fo r Kilmessan GP this week having gotten a day pass, it is nice that it is on reasonably early, so if I hammer it round, I can get back for lunchtime, which is always appreciated.

Training wise this week was not as good as last week, partner was away with work so diet slipped a bit out of laziness. Done a bit in the Gym which seems to have left my muscles sore on Wednesday, this pain carried through to last night for our Club League race. I rode out at a solid pace to the start, so ended up even more tired with my legs sore and having to stop for food to stop me bonking on the way there.

Small groups of 15 in each race this week, which is nice as there is no hiding for anyone and you have to work or be really smart. Race took off with another team leading out, but daragh_ didn't take kindly to the lack lustre pace and came round the outside to set what would be the trend for the evening of him TTing off the front and people trying to reel him back in. In the first few km I was sitting in fourth so just before the first roundabout I came out and put the hammer down and went through making a nice break. Unfortunately for me, in what would be a common theme for the evening, I seemed to struggle to hold the power down for anymore than a few minutes. Round the third roundabout and daragh_ came round me and sat in front to give me a bit of shelter. We worked well together for a few km, before being joined by another rider. Unfortunately our pace and strength varied to much to work together and we were reeled back in. daragh_, unhappy with this and wanting to get a good workout, started what would be his unquenchable appetite for pushing hard for the evening, his game face was on and he wasn't taking any of this riding round the course for a sprint finish rubbish that plagues A4. He would sit in 5th place for about a minute, and then TT up over the bunch again and off the front. I think in total he done this a further 10 times over the race and really kept everyone going hard. After a few other less inspiring breaks by others, eventually two other lads went up the road, no more than 150m but they were working well together and their teammates in the bunch were doing a fantastic job of soft peddling when at the front and then just sitting on and dragging the bunch, making it harder to get over. I tried a few times to sprint over with enthusiasm but I kept just making it half way and they always seemed to keep us at bay. Eventually at the start of the final lap, a few really deep digs from a few riders meant we finally joined them but f*ck me did I hate them, my legs were in bits. I was left at the front in the final 3/4 for a good while but I just soft pedalled and made no real effort, focused more on recovery rather than dragging the bunch. For the last 1/2 lap, I decided I was making no more digs and just focused hard on holding the wheel of the man at the front or anyone who went around. He was strong but I managed to match every acceleration before the last turn, and refused to go around and take a turn, everytime someone tried to make me I stuck to their wheel or soft pedalled. Coming round the last roundabout, I tried my best not to storm off before the roundabout like I normally do but I only got 500m passed it before the adrenaline kicked in and I made a jump with about 1km to go. I broke from the group and made a 100m or so and just hammered it but here I made my fatal mistake which I think cost me the win in the end. I looked behind me, repeatedly. I held over 100m until 300m off the finish line but they were closing but everytime I looked behind I slowed a bit. 1 rider took me with 50m left, another 2 with 30m left and 3 more with 10m left, the last one pipping me for 6th place by half a wheel. If I hadn't of looked, I would have had top 3 for certain but c'est la vie.

Well that did not go to plan. I went out Friday night with my partner after last minute tickets to a night out were produced. I thought I had been restrained but felt awful the next day, possibly as much to do with the take away on the way home rather than the booze. Spent most of Saturday drinking water and little else. Saturday night though was met with restless sleep, fevered sweats and unpleasantness in the bathroom department. I thought it was all done, and although my legs were a bit tight, to hell with it and off I sent. Needless to say, not fully done and I spent a good while in the bathroom in Kilmessan. Feeling well enough to ride, I hopped on and rode off but the legs were very tight now, even the sedate first half lap felt like the final few km of a 120km stage. Some small brake tapping in the middle of the bunch on hills (why in ****s name does this keep happening), one at speed, so I actually swerved and skimmed the guy, nearly killing a Rossborough rider who was sneaking up on the left. Needless to say, the next 2 laps were just agony. I made one or two jumps to bridge over to the breakaway but could never quite cover it. The cross wind on the back stretch was crazy and was flinging unprepared riders sideways. I tried here but quickly gave up as I felt I was going backwards. I stuck it out to the end though, despite contemplating pulling out on the second lap. I seen a nice move happening before the last turn, but one rider second guessed himself and actually sat up as we were following through, leading to me slipping back into safety while the rider following him almost went through him. At this point I should have just sat in till near the end, but as always, i just couldn't handle the boredom. I didn't realise there was still a rider up the road, I seen one guy make a bit of a break and right before the final turn, i swung wide and went for him like the clappers, took the turn wide and fast but could barely hold the road, to the point I thought my wheels would go fro under me but they didn't I held the power down for about 30 seconds, one of my teammates had followed me but I blew up. Happily I had pulled himself and 6 others clear so they kept going and all held off too round off the top 8.

All this though and I should have sat in until closer to the end, as coming up the final climb at the back I was still walking up it quicker than anyone in front of me, more fool me.

10M TT tonight, nothing to say other than I was disappointed with myself, poor first half, couldn't get the pacing right, return leg was worse where I was going ok but I foolishly held back and only opened up fully in the last km. I think with a better head on my shoulders, I could have knocked a minute off my time and that annoys me more than anything, the fact that it is my intelligence rather than my fitness holding me back.

Sally Gap race last night, due to weather and cloud it was shortened to 31km rather than the planned 51km, and to be honest, quite happy with that. One of the competing clubs went from the gun, and the legs felt stiff, to the point that within the first 5km, I was tempted to turn off at the turn for the gap and just saunter up but went ahead anyway. Thankfully I did as the tightness in the legs subsided after another 10km. The pace was higher than expected with a few riders on a mission to break the group before we even started climbing, so I kept close to the front. A small sub group made a good job of keeping them selves tucked in and making 3 others do the work but once we turned for the gap, I stopped working near the front and just sat on their wheels, for once I was just going to let them do the work and if they got annoyed so be it. Of course this didn't work and we all seemed to take our fair share on the way up. We got within spitting distance of the group we were chasing about half way up, at which point we became a bit more sedate and relaxed a bit. After 5 minutes of this though, I decided to bridge over and get a proper break. Of course one guy followed me and rode through, so I grabbed his wheel and the two of us stayed at the front of the enlarged group which I could see had lined out behind us.

I made one more break where there is the 8% bump about 5 or 6km from the finish and made a decent gap but promptly blew up. HR didn't go mental, just legs stopped being able to spin once over the bump. The group caught me again after a few 100m and I sat in to recover the legs. At this point, as we came into the open space, the other rider who had led with me started piling on the pressure. I followed him and we worked together at the front. One of my teammates came up and the three of us were at the front when one of the limit riders came round for a final breakaway attempt. I seen him go round but figured he would blow and left him to it as I didn't feel the want to blow up again. Eventually it was him 200m up the road, the other two guys 100m ahead, and me soft pedalling the bunch. None of them were making much ground though so after a few minutes of soft pedalling I bridged over to the two lads again. None of the three of us were dying but the first guy was getting away and was not cracking as expected. I upped the tempo a bit and ended up dropping the two lads. At this point the rider ahead had too much ground made to cover and I hadn't the legs to go after him so I just stuck the head down and kept it steady. The two lads were 50m behind but not giving up, the bunch was obliterated, I just needed to hold in there. About 800m from the line, the pain set in and I felt they were catching me, speed was dropping and legs were tightening. I cranked up the gears, out of the saddle and simply used my weight to move the pedals. I could see a crowd but no flag, where was the f*cking finish line. I could feel them catching me, I only needed not to fall over for about a minute but my mind kept telling me to just get off and leave it, you weren't first, what was the point. I kept pushing though, barely walking pace at this stage, they were getting closer, I roared at the crowd "WHERE IS THE F*CKING FINISH LINE". Another 100m, mother of god, keep pushing, you can die after your over the line. Once I could see it the hormones kicked in, the pain was gone, I rolled over the line, hands off the bars as if I'd just won the Giro.

A great race but still shows my lack of tactics, several points I should have held back and kept the legs fresher.

Well done - your form is excellent this year.

I was cooked before we even turned for the Gap. :D

Well done - your form is excellent this year.

I was cooked before we even turned for the Gap. :D

You and the other lad were on a mission to break everyone before the turn for the Gap, which worked really well as it forced the team tactics of the other lads to fall apart and they had to stay near the front and do work, so a big thanks for that. The rider in Blue though, christ on a bike, he must be a masochist as he just kept flogging himself the whole way round.

Ned Flanagan today. Same as always, felt tight and sore in the first few km but it eased off quicker than usual. I took off near the start and blew up within 1km, and then procedeed to sit on wheels near the front. I took a few turns at the front, usually followed by me following back thorugh the bunch and then working back up. Tipped wheels with an Orwell rider when a rider in front of her swung across her and I nearly took her deralleur off but we all recovered without issue. The race was up and down, a few digs here and there but nothing major. On the final lap, coming up the only real climb, we slowed again. I decided here and then I was going to dance up the front, just to annoy people. A Rossborough rider came up beside me and I was boxed in, maybe it wasn't to be. I waited and waited, dawdling at 25kmph. Finally he went far enough ahead of me I could go round the back of him. I didn't even have to put much effort in, just out of the saddle for a minute or two. I was just trying to break it up a bit, nothing major planned, but I got ot the top and didn't blow up, a few seconds later a Naas rider jumped over to me. A few minutes later the moto comms came up ti us and we had 15 seconds. I glanced behind, no one was there, finally, it was on. I started putting in an effort, caught Naas wheel, took a rest, and repeatedly blew up and told him to go on. I started looking at the km counting down, then realise I don't actually know how far away the line is. i make up a number and go for it. Stupid but it might work. Down to 1900m, 1800m, 1700m. Holy sh1t, if I don't make it the Naas rider will he is dropping me. The bunch catch me, I pull right to let them through but they aren't pushing more than me. I get out of the saddle and stretch the legs, I drift back a bit about half way back i realise as we get close to the line, they are slowing, they have nothing. I go wide right and start powering up. Back in 30th 200m from the line, 15th with about 100m from the line.The group are well spread out and there is room to manoeuvre and I still haven't fully wound up. I come round a teammate and roar at him to push on, the hormones are pumping. I am about to roll trough the bunch and dominate the lot of them (not really but I am in full Walter Mitty mode now). And then it happens, guy in front gets out of the saddle to push it, whatever he does, his bike flies left, takes out another rider like a skittle, my teammate beside me shoulders me out of the way and I roll in on the right. Not a clue where I finished, probably 15th, I stopped pedalling, just looking back to see my teammate in the fetal position on the ground. i leg it back to him to find he is fine, just grazing, no head injury.

So racing a familiar circuit, with one change where they put the finish on a hill rather than the sprint fest flat bit. Finishing on the third time up the hill. Tired on the way out, I think this suited me, legs were not sore and I wasn't expecting anything. Stayed quiet in the bunch for the first few km, moved up the front and the HR jumped and I decided to roll back again, a few digs were had by others but I was already tired so thought to hell with them. And then it happened, that hill from Sunday, the one I made a break on, the one I almost stayed away on. The HR went up and so did my stupidity. I shot off the front but tired really quickly at the top. I figure sit up and let them swallow you but when I looked behind, they were gone. I tucked in and said if nothing else, I'l cross the line at least once at the front. I tucked in and TTd for 8km. The demons banished and I felt good. I wasn't even trying now and still staying away. I stupidly looked behind and seen them a bit behind so thought, why not recover. I drank water, stretched the arms, and well f*ck me if it didn't take them an age to get me. Finally they were on me, but I was now rested, and one or two were not in great shakes in the bunch. I sat in and there it was again, that hill, only this time, the bunch were around me, an IRC rider pinning me in, we are crawling up the hill and my legs want to race. I keep nudging out, tempted to ride through the two riders in front but the gap is just too tight to be comfy. Eventually my nudging pays off and the IRC rider moves over, I squeeze between him and the rider in front and start again. This time I feel worse than before, the break not as good, not as sustained and I feel more tired. All of a sudden we are over the hill and three riders have bridged over to me, and f*ck me if they do not want to have a go off it. I lead on the climbs but the three of them are descenders and flat out TT experts, I am barely holding on, my legs are crying. Years of parenting come into play, I ignore them, probably nothing.

I come alongside them, our system is not working, I issue instructions, we are going to burn out the way we are doing up and overs. Everyone listens and we become more sedate but pretty much as fast. A slight downhill comes and we fall into the fastest man possible trap. We ramp up north of 50 an my legs tire, I start to take more breaks but whenever called upon I go to the front. One rider orders us back into the system and we comply wilfully. We are away, not sure by much but any bunch that could catch us would be decimated. We turn to the final climb, riders eyes turn to the prize but I am done, the last stretch was too much. One rider goes ahead, and the SDCC rider beside me asks what he is at and where he is going? The finish line I say, he looks stunned we are that close. I tell him its less than a km. He makes the chase but I do not follow, I simply cannot. The third man in our group comes up beside me and says it is mine. I apologise and say no, I am cooked. He rides on in search of third but then I get stupid. I figure, make them work. I come around the outside and out of the saddle, I fly past but my HR is back up, I am about to blow but I have made them suffer, with a few 100m to go. And then I look behind, I don't know if they have let me go or not but I am ahead, and despite how I feel, the speedo keeps rising ever so slowly. I come round the last bend, before I come around the corner my arms are in the air, alas no picture captured but I will never forget.
    No one can catch me, I am victorious

• Advertisement

Dude - did you even go to sleep last night :D

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

like reading an old roy of the rovers:D..good stuff

So due to family and cancellations, I am down to three open races left, maybe two for the rest of the year.
    Galway Classic - has a few drags which will suit me nicely
    Christy MacManus & Ronnie Coates Memorial
    Laragh Classic (if they put on an A4 race)

Would love to do the Laragh Classic, if they put on an A4, they could probably do a half circuit and finish it the first time up the Gap, it would still be an epic race. Must see do I know any of the organisers and start pushing the idea on them.
    Dude - did you even go to sleep last night :D

Well done.
    Not even close, I was buzzing until I wrote the report, I conked out immediately after and had the best nights sleep in a long time.

Can't wait for Mondello next week now, hopefully I can find a babysitter as the other half is away.

Can't wait for Mondello next week now, hopefully I can find a babysitter as the other half is away.

You'll be a marked man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Was great to see you cross the line arms in the air.
    one of my club mates who was in your group said you were riding really strong all race.
    Well deserved dude.

Great picture!!!

A man very pleased with his nights work, well done.

sullzz wrote: »
    one of my club mates who was in your group said you were riding really strong all race.
    Tell him he inspired me after crossing the line in front of me on Sunday. He made me work bloody hard for that on the last lap. He is a great race reader and tactician, he read the other two lads well and pipped them both at the line.

Damned paranoid competitors. I wanted to earn my upgrade to semi scratch. League was on a course that suites me, with riders that suited me, it was going to be a good night. Except I went out for a few beers on Wednesday and struggled through the day with a groggy head. This said, as I desperately tries to rehydrate, I still rode out to the start in record time. Sign on done, slight route change due to resurfacing, which also suits me and we are ready to go. Despite how groggy I felt up until 10 minutes before the race start, all of a sudden, I feel good. Then it happens, bloody pump bleeps, would you ever just f*CK off. I have a look. "You have 30 minutes battery life left, change now" Mother F*clear. I do the calculations in my head. If I can avoid red lining until the end of the race I'll be grand, I have 3 hours of insulin in the system. I will be in bits by the time I get home but I can do the race (priorities right). We take off, I feel good, it's taking little to stay at the front, this will be a great day if I can have manners and do nothing till the last 2km. Less than 2km in and the road feels weird, the ground shaking uncontrollably, did I f*CK up my calculations and my sugars are crashing. Nope, it's a flat.

You know what world, I had a sh1t day at work, this was just icing on the cake.

Thankfully my luck changed and a marshal picked me up and dropped me to the finish. Completely forgot my pump had now finished and hung around to the end. Rode home, after being lent a tube after my spare was to short in regards valve length.

I still forgot my pump was off and couldn't figure out why I was so tired. Got home in time to remember and sorted that but for those who have never experienced no insulin, imagine your worst hangover, then imagine a dumper truck repeatedly runs over your head, this is better than what it feels like when you recover.

Anyway back to my damned competitors, they think this was planned, some sort of sandbagger so I would be better placed for our club champs which is based on group for the handicap. So I have one more race that I have to win, or either self upgrade or miss the club champs. Which I wouldn't mind as I won't win but I'd like to race.

So while the first half of the week was good, my partner disappeared down the country with the family for early holidays, leaving me here alone, which meant I quickly turned into a savage, eating sh1t and slacking off. I went out to the club race tonight without much of a plan other than to sit in and get round. Limit were let off the leash with almost a full lap of Corkagh park in their favour, before we were let off, I could see they were hunting and looking to mess up the system and essentially destroy semi limit before they begun (if they caught us, we would essentially be in an unwinnable position unless someone could break and take a lap on them and then get into the top 6).
    A rival from SDCC went from the gun and I immediately chased him down, full A4 mode, I sat on his wheel and done nothing for half a lap. A lap over and a few of us start upping the tempo having made nothing on Limit, still only 150m behind us. We lined out and despite calls from my teammate not to be used, I stayed up near the front. The next lap or two involved the same bunch moving up near the front and eventually I decided to put the hammer down and just see could we reel in limit. I'd take a break when we caught them. I went for it, a nice controlled TT, not killing myself but making sure I was pushing as close as I could to the line. I looked behind and semi limit were strung out, a lap later they would be in pieces, with only two lads working together to follow me. In two laps I would roll onto the grass as the high HR meant I lost all focus, definetly woke me up. It took another 4 laps to reel in limit, they were not giving up easily. I finally caught them and sat on the back, recovering quickly for half a lap, my two followers tagged on and then rode through, at which point Limit slowed a bit, presuming all of semi limit had caught them. As it turned out, most of them had given up at this stage. Another lap or two with limit and they were about to call the three laps to go, my two compatriots had already bailed for freedom so I gave chase and tagged on, we were clear and less than three laps to go, I went to the front and done a bit, we all did actually, and while we got away, on the last lap, it was not much more than 15 seconds as we entered it. I rode up beside the SDCC rider, who (well I would have thought) possibly thought the two teammates were about to gang up on him. I rolled up beside him and patted him on the back, we need to work together, they are not that far behind, no ****ing around until the sprint. I took the front for half the lap, he took it for a third. I rolled up beside the two, the legs were getting twitchy and I could sense the eyes were watching as we slowed. I said, I guess it is every man for himself. The SDCC rider was strong and a good sprinter, i hadn't a hope round the next corner up the hill. I gave it a few seconds and then put the hammer down, coming round the corner too fast I though I was going to lose it. I wasn't away but I may have gotten a bit of a jump on him, like most waiting for the turn before the final sprint. I just kept pushing, 100m to the line and I can hear his wheels over my heartbeat, he is catching me, stay calm, don't panic or give up. 50m and the sound of his ****ign wheels is deafening, I am going to lose it on the line, mother ****ere. One last surge, out of the saddle but still in the drops. 10m to the line, i can see his front wheel, I have nothing else I can't remember to throw the bike and to be honest, if I did, I would most likely have crashed. I look down as my wheel hits the line, he has me, or is it a draw, nope he has me, about an inch in front, well f*ck you sir, maybe its a draw, I aim for a draw but I am not sure I believe it. I nearly plough into the fence in front of me as the ability to think or reason or pull brakes has disappeared. I look over my shoulder to see him nearly do the same. I roll off, my legs no longer work, I cannot change gears, all that for second, hardly worth it. I roll back to the start, people asking how I done, I flick between a draw or he beat me. It was close but I am glad to be beaten by such a strong rider. Lads at the line tell me it was close, less than 2 inches in it as we crossed, ah shure it happens.

And happen it does, those two inches were in my favour, I held him off by the narrowest of margins.

Semi Scratch, here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

So while the first half of the week was good, my partner disappeared down the country with the family for early holidays, leaving me here alone, which meant I quickly turned into a savage, eating sh1t and slacking off. I went out to the club race tonight without much of a plan other than to sit in and get round. Limit were let off the leash with almost a full lap of Corkagh park in their favour, before we were let off, I could see they were hunting and looking to mess up the system and essentially destroy semi limit before they begun (if they caught us, we would essentially be in an unwinnable position unless someone could break and take a lap on them and then get into the top 6).
    A rival from SDCC went from the gun and I immediately chased him down, full A4 mode, I sat on his wheel and done nothing for half a lap. A lap over and a few of us start upping the tempo having made nothing on Limit, still only 150m behind us. We lined out and despite calls from my teammate not to be used, I stayed up near the front. The next lap or two involved the same bunch moving up near the front and eventually I decided to put the hammer down and just see could we reel in limit. I'd take a break when we caught them. I went for it, a nice controlled TT, not killing myself but making sure I was pushing as close as I could to the line. I looked behind and semi limit were strung out, a lap later they would be in pieces, with only two lads working together to follow me. In two laps I would roll onto the grass as the high HR meant I lost all focus, definetly woke me up. It took another 4 laps to reel in limit, they were not giving up easily. I finally caught them and sat on the back, recovering quickly for half a lap, my two followers tagged on and then rode through, at which point Limit slowed a bit, presuming all of semi limit had caught them. As it turned out, most of them had given up at this stage. Another lap or two with limit and they were about to call the three laps to go, my two compatriots had already bailed for freedom so I gave chase and tagged on, we were clear and less than three laps to go, I went to the front and done a bit, we all did actually, and while we got away, on the last lap, it was not much more than 15 seconds as we entered it. I rode up beside the SDCC rider, who (well I would have thought) possibly thought the two teammates were about to gang up on him. I rolled up beside him and patted him on the back, we need to work together, they are not that far behind, no ****ing around until the sprint. I took the front for half the lap, he took it for a third. I rolled up beside the two, the legs were getting twitchy and I could sense the eyes were watching as we slowed. I said, I guess it is every man for himself. The SDCC rider was strong and a good sprinter, i hadn't a hope round the next corner up the hill. I gave it a few seconds and then put the hammer down, coming round the corner too fast I though I was going to lose it. I wasn't away but I may have gotten a bit of a jump on him, like most waiting for the turn before the final sprint. I just kept pushing, 100m to the line and I can hear his wheels over my heartbeat, he is catching me, stay calm, don't panic or give up. 50m and the sound of his ****ign wheels is deafening, I am going to lose it on the line, mother ****ere. One last surge, out of the saddle but still in the drops. 10m to the line, i can see his front wheel, I have nothing else I can't remember to throw the bike and to be honest, if I did, I would most likely have crashed. I look down as my wheel hits the line, he has me, or is it a draw, nope he has me, about an inch in front, well f*ck you sir, maybe its a draw, I aim for a draw but I am not sure I believe it. I nearly plough into the fence in front of me as the ability to think or reason or pull brakes has disappeared. I look over my shoulder to see him nearly do the same. I roll off, my legs no longer work, I cannot change gears, all that for second, hardly worth it. I roll back to the start, people asking how I done, I flick between a draw or he beat me. It was close but I am glad to be beaten by such a strong rider. Lads at the line tell me it was close, less than 2 inches in it as we crossed, ah shure it happens.

And happen it does, those two inches were in my favour, I held him off by the narrowest of margins.

Semi Scratch, here I come.

Great stuff dude, and extra kudos for the fact that the lad you beat in the sprint previously rode the Ras for the ireland U23 development team.

Advertisement