Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless home alarm in 2018: cost and recommendations?

• 02-01-2018 3:30pm

As my house is not wired for an alarm already, I'm looking at getting a wireless system but I've a few questions.

1) What sort of cost is involved in putting a wireless alarm system in a standard house? Is it priced per window/door? In percentage terms, how much more should I expect to pay for wireless over wired? (I came across a 2002 thread on Boards but I assume the prices would not be relevant to today)

2) Is wireless better/more reliable? If so, why; if not, why not?

3) Are all wireless systems monitored? If so, how can I reduce my monthly monitoring costs (other than avoid Phonewatch monitoring as they're overpriced). I'd much prefer just a once-off payment for this alarm rather than regular "monitoring" payments on top of it.

4) I note there are some companies with ridiculous prices, but I don't know enough about the industry to know who the reliable companies offering good security at good prices. Is there any industry rating standard that could help me find that out? What companies are doing good systems at affordable prices?

Any other advice on getting a new alarm system would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi, This has been done to death at this stage but I'll answer best I can below.

As my house is not wired for an alarm already, I'm looking at getting a wireless system but I've a few questions.

1) What sort of cost is involved in putting a wireless alarm system in a standard house? Is it priced per window/door? In percentage terms, how much more should I expect to pay for wireless over wired? (I came across a 2002 thread on Boards but I assume the prices would not be relevant to today)

Some companies are installing a motion detector based system. This is an inferior type of system to a system that protects the perimeter of the premises. A motion detector based system only activates once the intruder has already gain entry where as a perimeter based system will activate when the intruder is trying to gain entry. Insist on window and door sensors on all accessible entry points and at least one motion detector in a common area.

A perimeter system will more expensive than a motion detector system but far better.

2) Is wireless better/more reliable? If so, why; if not, why not?

Not much difference in relabilty any more. The days of pulling a house a part to wire for alarm are gone. If you were renovating I would recommend pre-wiring your house as wired components are smaller than wireless and cheaper.

3) Are all wireless systems monitored? If so, how can I reduce my monthly monitoring costs (other than avoid Phonewatch monitoring as they're overpriced). I'd much prefer just a once-off payment for this alarm rather than regular "monitoring" payments on top of it.

You can have a stand - alone system with bells only, a self monitored system that will text, ring or alert your app. A professionally monitored system would be better and has various costs depending on the installer.

4) I note there are some companies with ridiculous prices, but I don't know enough about the industry to know who the reliable companies offering good security at good prices. Is there any industry rating standard that could help me find that out? What companies are doing good systems at affordable prices?

Good quality wireless devices are expensive so the cost will greatly depend and vary from house to house. We have tried most systems out there and now install HKC and Vanderbilt as we found others very problematic. Vanderbilt don't have wireless shock sensors which are vital to a security system but HKC tick all the boxes.

All installers must be PSA licensed and you can get a list of installers in your area here
    . I would recommend you get a few quotes and compare like for like

Any other advice on getting a new alarm system would be appreciated. Thanks.

Some companies are installing a motion detector based system. This is an inferior type of system to a system that protects the perimeter of the premises. A motion detector based system only activates once the intruder has already gain entry where as a perimeter based system will activate when the intruder is trying to gain entry. Insist on window and door sensors on all accessible entry points and at least one motion detector in a common area.

A perimeter system will more expensive than a motion detector system but far better.

Thanks so much for that. Very helpful. Somebody else has told me similarly about the motion alarms being of limited use as they only go off when you're in the house. Could that perimeter alarm be also known as a "Wireless shock sensor with magnetic contact"? My one question would be if the house is in an estate with people travelling very close to your perimeter (e.g. on paths) or even straying over your grass, you'd presumably move your perimeter as far as the alarm is concerned back nearer the house? It would be a pain to have it going off with every innocent transgression onto your property.

How does the the Hkc Quantum control panel with an integrated internal siren and backup battery with 4 year life sound in terms of effectiveness and reliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks so much for that. Very helpful. Somebody else has told me similarly about the motion alarms being of limited use as they only go off when you're in the house. Could that perimeter alarm be also known as a "Wireless shock sensor with magnetic contact"? My one question would be if the house is in an estate with people travelling very close to your perimeter (e.g. on paths) or even straying over your grass, you'd presumably move your perimeter as far as the alarm is concerned back nearer the house? It would be a pain to have it going off with every innocent transgression onto your property.

How does the the Hkc Quantum control panel with an integrated internal siren and backup battery with 4 year life sound in terms of effectiveness and reliability?

The shocks sensors measure vibtation and the contacts detect the window or door opening. These are installed on the inside of your windows and doors. The perimeter is the at the windows and doors so the alarm wont activat when someone walks into your garden but only when they try to force their way in through a window/door.

The Quantum is probably the best panel with integrated keypad/bell in Ireland but that type of panel is vulnerable to attack as it can easily be destroyed as everything important is in the one box. Try push for the HKC 1070 panel which has a separate keypad which means the main control panel can be located in a secure location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Also OP, the other advantage of getting your perimeter done as opposed to beams is that, at night you could switch on your system and move around the inside of the house.
    This is impossible with beams only.

Still researching and according to this company,
    Our biggest selling package of 3 x motion detectors is now only €650. When placed strategically three devices can protect the majority of homes. We couple this with our high speed GSM dialer with NO delays of any kind to ensure this system will perform better than all other systems. Almost 99% of intruders enter through the hall door and therefore perimeter devices are a waste.

Confused now. An alarm guy was out this morning to give me an estimate and he, also, said perimeter alarms are better than motion ones.

• Advertisement

I have no vested interest in whatever company or system you choose.

But I will say this, I have tried Visonic equipment in the past and found it very troublesome, I stopped using it.

I know of others who will not use it due to political reasons.

Oh and if you do get that company that proclaimed that perimeter protection is a waste and that 99% of break in's are through a door.
    Get that in writing, on their headed paper, get them to sign it and get a third party to witness it.
    Then give it to your solicitor for safe keeping, it could be worth a fortune in the future.

Also please disregard what they said about HKC's wireless devices battery life only lasting 2 years.
    That is bull as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Confused now. An alarm guy was out this morning to give me an estimate and he, also, said perimeter alarms are better than motion ones.

Im confused also with that. He is stating perimeter protection is of no use so a PIR is better.
    I like other installers and end users would rather know if an intruder is trying to gain access as opposed to being in the premises.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

He's trying to sell you what he wants to install not what your property needs.
    I bet you got the line shock sensors & contacts cause false alarms as well...:)
    Get 3 companies out to do a proper site survey & give you a written system design proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

My experience with Wireless alarms have been compromised by these messages and probable, some movements outside the house.
    Recommend cables around the house,anytime of the day or night.

437824.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

RF jamming is usually caused by a low battery or a faulty device. It is not very common and easily isolated via a process of elimination.

• Advertisement

OK. I went with the SW-070 at the end of the day with a long battery and something else (!!).

For some reason, however, my SW-070 is a day and date behind. How do I reset the date? I'm reading the instructions and it says go to the 'Timers' Menu' ==> 'Set Time and Date' but the problem is there's no such menu showing on my alarm box/buttons. Anybody able to help?

Also, by mistake I recorded background noise on the alarm. I don't know what the function of a recorded message is on the alarm - I just use the keypad to set and unset it - but how do I remove that background noise and put it back to whatever was the default sound?

Lastly, does everybody get a RF-Keyfob with this alarm, or does that cost extra? What does it actually do?

Grma/Thanks a mill.

OK. I went with the SW-070 at the end of the day with a long battery and something else (!!).

For some reason, however, my SW-070 is a day and date behind. How do I reset the date? I'm reading the instructions and it says go to the 'Timers' Menu' ==> 'Set Time and Date' but the problem is there's no such menu showing on my alarm box/buttons. Anybody able to help?

Also, by mistake I recorded background noise on the alarm. I don't know what the function of a recorded message is on the alarm - I just use the keypad to set and unset it - but how do I remove that background noise and put it back to whatever was the default sound?

Lastly, does everybody get a RF-Keyfob with this alarm, or does that cost extra? What does it actually do?

Grma/Thanks a mill.

Is your panel a HKC 10-270 ?

The date and time is adjusted in engineer mode, your system should be under warranty so I would get the installation company back to rectify this.

Ok as for the audio function, press the Play button on the keypad twice and that will get rid of it.
    Well do it during the day, no point at this hour and possibly waking half your house ;).

The RF keyfob, is a little wireless control unit that you can use to fully control your system within range of it. It also has a Panic button function as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 almeera

Hi kuB

PLEASE HELP ME

I have HKC alarm 1070 installed. I have GSM Q installed as well. can you please explain the connection to the HKC board. for switching lights on

I have 12 v Dc Relay. I try to connect relay with +ve with Aux and - ve with ext bell. it working when the alarm goes off. but i want to work when i sent lights on command from phone. please tell me the connection and anything i have to do from programming side. Please help me ASAP. Thanking you.

Hi kub

I have HKC alarm 1070 installed. I have GSM Q installed as well. can you please explain the connection to the HKC board. for switching lights on

I have 12 v Dc Relay. I try to connect relay with +ve with Aux and - ve with ext bell. it working when the alarm goes off. but i want to work when i sent lights on command from phone. please tell me the connection and anything i have to do from programming side. Please help me ASAP. Thanking you.

Do I have to do it twice :D?

Ok your + is correct.

Your - is incorrect.

Take the - feed out from the Ext Bell terminal.

You need to connect that with one of the Outputs, they are below the bell outputs, numbered 1 through to 4.

Once you have it connected into which ever one you will need to go to the Outputs Menu in Engineer Mode.
    I trust you have Access?

Go to Output Type for the output you have connected your - to.

Press Yes and with the hash button find Lights.

When you see Lights, press Yes.

Your Output number should now be blinking and the word Lights on steady.

Come out of Engineer mode, then test the light function by pressing the Light Button on the keypad.

Let me know how that goes for you please.

HI Kub,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Its really work well. Appreciate for the help ....

Thanks from bottom of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

Hi all,

I’m currently in the market for an alarm system for a new build 3 bed sem-D.

Trying to read up on all the alarm company offerings and systems to use etc etc. Finding it hard to know what’s best as there is so many differing views.

My understanding is that a perimeter based alarm system is best. I note HomeSecure offer this type of system whereas Phone watch don’t.

Can anyone outline the negatives to the HomeSecure offering ? Ignoring the monitoring aspect as I know ppl have their own individual view on whether to self monitor or pay for monitoring service.

Any advice much appreciated.

The downside is you are tying yourself into a contract. Also, many of these systems that are cheaper up front are also tying you to that installation company because the equipment is tied to that installer. This means regardless of the length of the contract, you will be tied to that company for the life of the system.
    Would you sign up to any service provider for 10-15 years??
    Shop around more.
    Paying for the system will save you a lot of money.

The downside is you are tying yourself into a contract. Also, many of these systems that are cheaper up front are also tying you to that installation company because the equipment is tied to that installer. This means regardless of the length of the contract, you will be tied to that company for the life of the system.
    Would you sign up to any service provider for 10-15 years??
    Shop around more.
    Paying for the system will save you a lot of money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

murra wrote: »
    My understanding is that a perimeter based alarm system is best. I note HomeSecure offer this type of system whereas Phone watch don’t.

I believe Phonewatch can be spec'd with shock sensors (perimeter security as you call it) if you want that, if you are interested, you should call them and get a quote.

Having said that I agree with Koolkid, these sort of systems end up costing two to three times more expensive over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Hi all,

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd should post my query here as there's been recent activity from many a knowledgeable contributors for all things house alarms related.

I've the HKC 1070 system with the wireless sensors. The sensor on the door has broken off after being hit. I've inhibited this sensor for now. I am presuming the sensor is ok as it says Tamper when close to the magnetic contact. Is it possible to get a new case from HKC as opposed to buying a completely new sensor?

Thanks for your help.

You could contact them and ask. While officially they dont deal with end users.In reality I have seen them send out many parts over the years.
    I don't think there is an option to buy/order the part separately from suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

KoolKid wrote: »
    You could contact them and ask. While officially they dont deal with end users.In reality I have seen them send out many parts over the years.
    I don't think there is an option to buy/order the part separately from suppliers.

Thanks Koolkid, I'll send them an e-Mail anyways. Was just wondering was there any other obvious places that I haven't checked.

You could try some suppliers/installers who might have old ones that have been taker out or returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ashish.13

Grma/Thanks a mill.

Hi All,
    Just looking to get one installed.

I am so confused with all these motion vs perimeter sensors Pros and cons that at times I think about putting in both. Also the price difference is bearable.
    Q1: can someone plz comment if that’s a good/bad idea?

when I spoke to companyA For quote they said companyB doesn’t hav anti jamming technology and would be outdated in 2 years.
    Q2: how does this anti-jamming work.? can we Somehow check/verify if a product has anti-jamming and other standards, while the other does not.?

We need to select system
    - which has good battery.
    - Can be set/unset remotely,
    - Has anti-jamming and other standards
    - is wireless and self-monitored
    Q3: please suggest system(s) that would be best suiting us.?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ashish.13 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just looking to get one installed.

I am so confused with all these motion vs perimeter sensors Pros and cons that at times I think about putting in both. Also the price difference is bearable.
    Q1: can someone plz comment if that’s a good/bad idea?

If you can afford it, ideally both and preferably shock sensors for the door/window contacts.

The ideal setup is door/window contacts (ideally shock sensors) on all doors and windows and then PIR's in the hallway.

They have different uses.
    when I spoke to companyA For quote they said companyB doesn’t hav anti jamming technology and would be outdated in 2 years.
    Q2: how does this anti-jamming work.? can we Somehow check/verify if a product has anti-jamming and other standards, while the other does not.?

I wouldn't believe a word most of these companies say about other companies.

Anti-jamming just means it can detect extra noise and interference on the wireless frequency and can notify you if it thinks there is jamming. It is pretty common on most systems. You can simply contact the other company and check with them if their system supports it or check the alarm spec on their website.
    We need to select system
    - which has good battery.
    - Can be set/unset remotely,
    - Has anti-jamming and other standards
    - is wireless and self-monitored
    Q3: please suggest system(s) that would be best suiting us.?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to go professional install, then either a HKC, GSD or Vanderbilt systems.

If you want to go DIY, then Yale, Honeywell or the new Ring system.

I've a Yale Smart Alarm system, it has pros and cons, but I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

Just got a quote of €2200 for installation of the following from a company and just want to know if it is good value. They quoted a bit less for a wired system but dont really want to chase walls for cables or have cables showing.

3no. HKC Wireless Sensor/Contacts for Doors

13no. HKC Wireless Sensor – only, for Window openings and fixed panel @ sliding door

1no. HKC Wireless Internal PIR Motion Sensors – Hallway (Will only be turned on when alarm on Full Set when everyone out of the house – otherwise a “Partset” turns on windows and doors only)

1no. HKC Wireless External Sounder/Flashing External Unit

1no. HKC Wireless Internal Sounder (Bedroom Hallway)

1no. HKC Decoy Sounder Box for Back of House

1no. HKC 10270 “Hybrid”(Wired and Wireless enabled Control Panel

2no. HKC Wireless Slimline keypad (At Exit/Entry Doors Front and Back)

1no. HKC Gsm incl Sim card which will “Text” phones if alarm activated and run an App on Smartphone/s

1no. HKC Keyfob incl Panic Button

galteeboy wrote: »
    Just got a quote of €2200 for installation of the following from a company and just want to know if it is good value. They quoted a bit less for a wired system but dont really want to chase walls for cables or have cables showing.

We always recommend on this forum to get three quotes. Many installers do HKC systems, so should be able to get a like for like quote on that and you could also look at other systems.
    galteeboy wrote: »
    1no. HKC Gsm incl Sim card which will “Text” phones if alarm activated and run an App on Smartphone/s

Make sure this is the "new" dual path wifi/gsm system and not the old gsm only system:

https://www.hkcsecurity.com/en-IE/products/communicators/gsm-wifi---gsm---securecomm-wworld-sim--wifi/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »
    If you want to go professional install, then either a HKC, GSD or Vanderbilt systems.
    If you want to go DIY, then Yale, Honeywell or the new Ring system.

Personally I would use HKC or Vanderbilt for a DIY install. They will not cost much more than the DIY alternatives you have suggested but will have many additional features as well as superior build quality.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Personally I would use HKC or Vanderbilt for a DIY install. They will not cost much more than the DIY alternatives you have suggested but will have many additional features as well as superior build quality.

I've both a HKC system and Yale System. The build quality is much the same (though keypad is definitely better on the HKC), while the online service, app and home automation connectivity is VASTLY superior on the Yale.

HKC has just two additional features:
    - shock sensors
    - GSM backup channel (optional).

Yale also has additional features:
    - Connect with Hue Smart Lights, turns your whole home into a SAAB, very cool.
    - Alexa for voice control
    - Free app and self monitoring.
    - Turn on alarm automatically via geo-fencing
    - Apple Watch app for arm/disarm alarm.

Plus a massive difference in cost.

The Yale system isn't perfect, but I'm much happier with it then I ever was with the HKC system.

I do think their is a place for high quality professional systems, but it pains me seeing people spending so much on systems that are so outdated.

Advertisement