Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BDO Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Went for premium tickets £87 for the saturday which gets both semis and the final was £97 so not cheap but will probably only do it once. I think i saw a few tickets available and there is rooms still available in the lakeside hotel, so still the chance for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Lucky lad its a dream to go to the lakeside. Proper darts . Seems fairly cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I've been there once for Quarter Finals day, both sessions on a Friday.

Couldn't fault the beer, pitchers were about £13.

It's a bit of a mission to get there from London, needing at least 2 legs of a train journey if not 3.

Atmosphere is great though and none of the over-the-top stuff drunkenness you get in the PDC Worlds.

Yes, looking forward to it. Cheaper tickets are available too.
    Fully agree on PDC clowns , have been 2/3 times to grand prix and premier league and there is a completely different vibe and atmosphere. Lakeside is the spiritual home of darts. Taylor , mvg , barney all came via lakeside .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fman wrote: »
    And supposedly a TV deal with Eurosport for their majors.

They had a similar deal in 2015.

They were paid nothing by Eurosport, not one red cent. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Glen Durrant wins the Finder Masters Darts earning 5k for his efforts.

First round losers at PDC Worlds earn 50% more than that!

TbL

The Finder is a Major too.

A PDC player could make 5k by reaching the final of a floor tournament.

It's all relative. When there is no major sponsors, regular tv coverage or people paying at the door its very hard to come up with any decent prize money. Last year it was £100k for the winner of the bdo worlds so its not too shabby but obviously there is no comparison to the pdc. Lots of the bdo guys will be heading to q school this year. The bdo is nearing the end in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Just a few days left before the "World Championship" start and the BDO finally announce the prize money:

https://dartsnews.com/prize-fund-remains-unchanged-for-2019-bdo-world-darts-championship/?theme=active

Seems dodgy to me. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some or all of the players are left waiting to receive their prize money with the state the BDO are in.

Proper darts my hole btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Last 16 of the BDO Scottish Open earns £80 in prize money.

Eighty quid, Christ on a bike!!

TbL

Last 16 of the BDO Scottish Open earns £80 in prize money.

Eighty quid, Christ on a bike!!

TbL

How do they get away with that, do they charge entrance fees? We've a tournament every weekend in the local thats that with around 30 players

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They definitely charge entrance fees. It's probably money in, money out. Why would you bother traveling to these tournaments.

Doesn’t make great reading for the BDO.

Appears to be in a bit of s shambles

https://dartsnews.com/mandigers-frustrated-by-current-state-of-bdo-you-never-know-what-you-are-playing-for/

TbL

BDO moving from the Lakeside after 33 years. Some great memories over the years.

https://dartsnews.com/bdo-world-championship-set-to-leave-lakeside-from-2020-and-move-to-indigo-at-the-o2-arena/

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭shockframe

The end of an era.

Sad that Lakeside is no more. For all the BDO's struggles the Lakeside was often compelling viewing in January.

Had to be done though. A bigger venue and easier to get to for the casual fan than Frimley Green. Lakeside has been showing its age for far too long.

Been a good week for the BDO with the new venues. No guarantee of success but will ee interesting how it goes.

the world masters is on at circus tavern aswell great venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Hopefully the start of something better for the BDO it definitely has it's place I've always watched and enjoyed lakeside over the years far more enjoyable than eejits dressed as bananas shouting about Yaya Toure.

https://dartsnews.com/bdo-future-in-jeopardy-after-world-masters-prize-money-still-not-paid-out-three-weeks-after-event/

Scandalous if true.

I can see the BDO last in its current guise much longer

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I hope they don't fold, their utter ineptitude provides plenty of entertainment!

Big news in the world of darts today. The WDF have today decided that they will no longer recognise the BDO tournaments. This all stems from the utter disaster that was the World Masters. The WDF specifically state that the following rules were broken, one WDF rule and one BDO rule:
    WDF playing rule 11.01:

11. DRAW

11.01 There shall be only one draw for opponents, which shall be conducted prior to the tournament.

BDO ranking systems rule 5.04:

5.04 Number of Seeded Players

The criteria for the requisite numbers of players seeded shall be:
    For Events comprising up to 32 entries = 4 x seeded players
    For Events comprising between 33 and 128 entries = 8 x seeded players
    For Events comprising between 129 and 256 entries = 16 x seeded players
    For Events comprising of more than 257 entries = 32 x seeded players

Essentially this means that the Official IOCC sanctioned World Governing body for darts no longer recognises the BDO World Pro Championships because of suspected match fixing and rigging of draws by the BDO.

This is a huge nail in the coffin of the BDO, and long with the tournament and player levy's announced earlier this week, I believe we are one step closer to the end of the BDO.

The quality is poor but here's a copy of the WDF letter:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

https://twitter.com/DanDartsDawson/status/1202271058776264705?s=19

Mad stuff that's the final nail alright good stuff Des and Paula. I presume the EDO will take its place as the recognised body ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

SO the WDF don't now recognise PDC or BDO tournaments?

Am i right in saying that?

Almost as much need for the WDF as there is the BDO If that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭sc86

Bdo and olly croft die in the same year

Degag wrote: »
    SO the WDF don't now recognise PDC or BDO tournaments?

Am i right in saying that?

Almost as much need for the WDF as there is the BDO If that's the case.

The PDC recognises the WDF as the world governing body of darts. The WDF. up until yesterday, sanctioned BDO tournaments and allowed them to run the World Championships. Essentially the BDO Worlds is now an unsanctioned tournament. The Governing bodies for darts in the UK are now the English, Welsh and Scottish darts organisations.

The WDF are getting into position to take over from the BDO and run their own tournaments. It's the beginning of the end for the BDO as the numerous tournaments organised and held around the world by national darts organisations will probably no longer give out BDO ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah WDF had no choice really it's the same players so hopefully just better admins running the show under the WDF banner. Will there even be a BDO worlds now?

The WDF have also revised their ranking points system by removing the BDO 'Majors' from their list of ranking events.

Both the letter and the rankings revisions can be found here:
    https://www.dartswdf.com/2019/12/04/letter-to-all-wdf-members-and-revised-ranking-systems-criteria/

Des Jacklin's response to the UK Counties:
    Dear all Counties,
    As I am sure most of you are aware the BDO have received a formal letter from the WDF. The BDO board felt we ought to write to you all now to keep you in the picture so to speak.
    I received the same letter that you have all seen on social media (and the same letter circulated by England darts) from the WDF yesterday 3rd December, this was the first contact I had with the WDF regarding this issue.
    I can confirm that the BDO have had no opportunity to defend itself and it would seem that the WDF have acted purely on information gathered from social media and hearsay.
    Social media is playing a huge part in this issue with statements being made from many players and County officials, (all names have been noted) even the England chairman has completely ignored the legal disclaimer on the bottom of the letter and sent it out to all Counties ?
    This issue is now in the hands of the BDO Solicitor and after initial consultation with our legal advisers, it would seem that this letter from the WDF is in many ways unlawful.
    In my estimation it feels like the BDO are trying to introduce a strategy to become self-supporting in trying to get ourselves into a position of stability, but we are not allowed to do that ? It just feels like every day is another battle with someone trying to kill the company.
    What I can tell you all is that in any event the County system will not be affected.
    I will not go into to much more detail but I do promise you updates as and when I get them. Regards
    Des Jacklin

'all names have been noted'. How he hasn't resigned yet is beyond belief.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Des Jacklin's response to the UK Counties:

'all names have been noted'. How he hasn't resigned yet is beyond belief.

That was the first thing that stood out for me to, still passive aggressive and threatening people while on the cusp of extinction.

Unbelievable

TbL

Taken from a post by Addicts Fan on the TSOD forum, here's the latest tickets sales figures for the BDO Worlds:
    		Seats	Sold	% Sold	
    Sat	All Day	1617	391	24%	£24,610.00
    Sun	All Day	1617	148	9%	£6,864.00
    Mon	Aft	1617	74	5%	£1,934.50
    	Eve	1617	67	4%	£2,593.00
    Tue	Aft	1617	39	2%	£1,080.50
    	Eve	1617	47	3%	£1,366.00
    Wed	Aft	1617	60	4%	£1,563.50
    	Eve	1617	71	4%	£2,701.60
    Thur	Aft	1617	79	5%	£1,961.00
    	Eve	1617	124	8%	£5,474.00
    Fri	Aft	1617	251	16%	£7,033.50
    	Eve	1617	292	18%	£14,064.00
    Sat	All Day	1617	389	24%	£27,368.00
    Sun	All Day	1617	194	12%	£17,820.00
    All Week		1		£831.50
    1st Weekend		50		£7,390.00
    Last 4 Days		4		£1,430.92
    Total		22638	2226	10%	£126,086.02

There is no way they can keep the same prize fund as last year with those dismal ticket sales. Something has to happen.

• Advertisement

The first big tournament to come out and say they are no longer going to carry BDO points and are thus not BDO ranked is the Dutch Open. The first of many I reckon.

https://www.dutchopendarts.nl/en/event/dutch-open-darts-no-longer-a-bdo-ranking-event/

Advertisement