Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on Masters in Cyber Security in ITB

• 23-03-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking peoples opinions on the MSc in Computing (Applied Cyber Security) course that Blanchardstown IT is offering.

The course runs for two years x 2 evenings per week. I am considering doing this as a i'm am looking to move into a into Cyber Security role in the future, I work in IT and have a few industry certs such as CCNA, MCSA etc.

Link to the course is: https://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn528.html

Modules are :
    Digital Forensics
    Secure Communications and Cryptography
    Network Security
    Cyber Crime and Malware
    Business Continutiy Mgmt
    Research Skills and Ethics
    MSc Research Project

Would this be worth doing (it is a Msc at the end of the day so that can only be good) or would I be better doing more industry certs such as the CISSP and CISM?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Hiya,
    Just wondering did you go for this, as I am considering whether to do it in ITB or a similar online MSc Information Security through CIT. Any feedback or comments welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

scuzz wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Just wondering did you go for this, as I am considering whether to do it in ITB or a similar online MSc Information Security through CIT. Any feedback or comments welcome

not from the student perspective but I work in cyber security and a good chunk of our team have done the BSc or MSc in Cyber Security in ITB, a lot come to us as grads and from an employer perspective they tend to be better equipped for the industry than those who've done a more general computing/CS degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I've applied for 2 years in a row to ITB, working in IT for more than 20 years...they said every time that I'm not well qualified to do the course... fee returned .
    No meaning to find out why or to appeal for info / updates.

If they are so snobby about the admission, wish them a good time ahead, i hope they do well financially.
    I went private in the end, not sure if these titles means anything compared with experience, live exposure and dealing with real people and events.

Advertisement