Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones, they are useless!

• 07-12-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

You cannot fly them anywhere as far as I can tell. Parks, playing fields, beaches, residential areas, your own garden....Even if you think you found somewhere, someone will come up and ruin it for you. I had a Dji Spark last year and sold it because I couldn't enjoy it with nosey people telling me off. Now I bought a small dji Tello drone to mess around with, even the small size of this I got questioned about it in a negative way in an empty area near my house. "But this is a residential area", you shouldn't be flying it".
    Where exactly can you fookn fly a drone in Dublin ? Nowhere as far as I can tell.. So a private drone for fun and recreation is useless.

Comments

• Well, the eminent camera maker GoPro is pulling out of selling their own branded drones, mainly for the reasons you have given. I used to fly them as well, had a decent camera one.
    Gave it away as a gift to a friend who bailed me out.

This sounds unbelievable to true:

Ross O'Carroll kelly type strolls into the store where I was working part time one day. Sees the drone that my boss used to fly. Then regales to my boss how he was flying his drone near Trinity College: A member of grounds staff asked him to stop. And then the due presented the Trinity groundsman with his license or whichever certificate to show how he was permitted to fly his drone. btw this fella had no interest whatsoever saying what he was going to do with the video footage, or the reason for fly the drone in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Like all rc aircraft, it's the irresponsible fliers who gave everyone else a bad name. When you hear of some eejit flying a drone near Gatwick airport and delaying/endangering flights, it just makes you wonder why they haven't been eliminated from the gene pool by now.

I used to fly rc model aircraft for fun......until it was no longer fun as either some jobsworth would walk up (and distracting me from concentrating on the model) and say "you can't fly that here" (on common land with no one around!!), or some idiot with a drone would show up and try to record my model in flight but deliberately try to get in on the "flight line" for a close up shot and thus endangering both models.

It's a great hobby but like all things, it only takes a few irresponsible types and everyone gets stick for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't there a designated area in the Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if they weren't so noisey and didn't have cameras they'd be grand.

the misses and the were out the back messing in the paddling pool when the estate agent selling the house behind them stuck up the drone and was clearly aiming it at them, the direction of the lights gave him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Victor wrote: »
    Isn't there a designated area in the Phoenix Park?

There was a flying club in the Phoenix Park at the back of the US Ambassador's residence but don't know if they're still there.
    ted1 wrote: »

the misses and the were out the back messing in the paddling pool when the estate agent selling the house behind them stuck up the drone and was clearly aiming it at them, the direction of the lights gave him away.

Camera drones are a snooper's delight. Under GDPR, you could sue the ass off someone recording you without permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ted1 wrote: »

If you know who it was by law you can request the imagery taken. If there is a photo or section of video where the image shows your family and faces while on your property then you can request to have it deleted under the Date Protection Act.

Alternatively, find out if they are certified and insured. If not then send as many details as you can on to the IAA (who actually have the right to confiscate equipment believe it or not.)
    I know this might sound frivolous but the more un-certified operators out there that are reported the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

D13exile wrote: »
    There was a flying club in the Phoenix Park at the back of the US Ambassador's residence but don't know if they're still there.
    Sounds like the Leinster Model Flying Club - they have a section on the Phoenix Park site here: http://www.leinstermodelflyingclub.ie/faqs/90-are-helicopters-and-multrotors-allowed.html

Sadly, multirotors are forbidden by Park Authorities.

Advertisement