Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorcycle FAQ

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Any chance we could update the list of insurers on the FAQ? I've to shop around and I'm not sure what companies to call

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any chance we could update the list of insurers on the FAQ? I've to shop around and I'm not sure what companies to call

I'd start by looking at this thread - I think it's at least as useful as an updated list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Western Seagull

Thanks for very helpful information it is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 simpledexx

Hi, this is my first time on this forum and i am currently working towards getting my A licence. Although i havent started yet with applying to dtt or learner permit. I was searching everywhere for the simple question if i have to do the theory test or i can straight away go to the learner permit and the IBT, the problem i have is there is nothing said about my driving licence being an exchange from croatian to full irish one with AM,B and W category's on it so this confuses me alot. To cut it short... Do i need to get the dtt or i can move to the learner permit straight away for A category as i am already 24yro and psst. but i've already rode bikes without a licence back in croatia.I know this is a stupid question but every little help is appreciated alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

simpledexx wrote: »
    Hi, this is my first time on this forum and i am currently working towards getting my A licence. Although i havent started yet with applying to dtt or learner permit. I was searching everywhere for the simple question if i have to do the theory test or i can straight away go to the learner permit and the IBT, the problem i have is there is nothing said about my driving licence being an exchange from croatian to full irish one with AM,B and W category's on it so this confuses me alot. To cut it short... Do i need to get the dtt or i can move to the learner permit straight away for A category as i am already 24yro and psst. but i've already rode bikes without a licence back in croatia.I know this is a stupid question but every little help is appreciated alot.

Try posting here. You'll likely find the answer in there already.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056323977/237/#post114929222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ring the NDLS and give them your driver number from your licence and they will tell you.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 simpledexx

Thank you, i just called NDLS and they told me because its a foreign exchange i need to do everything from scratch so yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

simpledexx wrote: »
    Thank you, i just called NDLS and they told me because its a foreign exchange i need to do everything from scratch so yeah...

That's a balls but the theory test isn't that bad. A lot of people seem to be recommending the app for (I think) €12 which they found more flexible than the book. Means you can dip in and out of it anytime anywhere on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

I have just booked the motorcycle test In a Dublin Test Centre. Any idea what wait might be?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's a balls but the theory test isn't that bad. A lot of people seem to be recommending the app for (I think) €12 which they found more flexible than the book. Means you can dip in and out of it anytime anywhere on the phone.

App is best option, make sure it's from the actual theory test... Prometric something something it's called.

• Advertisement

Not sure where this question belongs, but I'm curious from those more experienced with motorbiking what you would estimate the average cost per year, including fuel, maintenance and various taxes is?

I know this is a little out of date, but the AA in 2019, published their cost of motoring in Ireland and I quote, "The average cost of running a family car for a year is €10,691.12"

The above cost of €10,000 seems a little bit high to me and I'd expect the cost of owning and operating a motorbike would be a lot lower but does anyone have an idea of how much cheaper it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Insurance: €200 - €1500

Tax: €66

Petrol: mileage dependant

Tyres: €55 (assuming replacement every 3 years)

Brakes: €50 (arbitrary)

Servicing: : €160

Additional for BMW owners

Starbucks: €600

Tax is 88 on anything over 200cc

Pair of tyres for most bikes would be 250-350 and might last less than 10,000km.

Life ain't always empty.

Has anyone recently imported a used bike from the UK due to a shortage of bikes over here. I'm considering getting one in London and having it shipped over.

My basic understanding is it has to be over six months old and with more than 6000 miles on the clock, then it is considered second-hand and is VAT exempt?

If that's true, then it might be worth getting a Japanese bike from the UK. Although I haven't been able to find online what it would cost in terms of shipping?

And just since I'm here, what would you consider high mileage for a 125?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Nothing from the UK Post brexit is vat exempt.(NI registered vechicles being the only exception)

Add approx 33% to the price plus shipping and you'll have a rough idea of the cost.

(Cost of vehicle + shipping + duty + vat) + vrt = total cost

You'd want to be getting a serious deal for anything from the UK being worth importing.

Thanks for updating me on the current rules. It's a shame the UK voted out :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I know it's compulsory to drive with a headlight and taillight on, but are there any rules on auxiliary lights also?

It's not, except during "lighting up time" but even then, headlights are not legally required on lit roads.

That said, it's been a long time since I owned a bike where the headlights didn't come on with the ignition (and potentially leave you stranded if the battery was low but the manufacturers don't care - back in the day as a MAG Ireland representative I asked the manufacturers' European reps about this as a safety issue at a conference in Antwerp - they didn't give a shyte - in the US where this has been a requirement since the 1970s they usually fit a relay so the AHO ((automatic headlight on)) doesn't kick in until after the engine starts - in the European market they cheaped out and just deleted the headlight switch, saved less than 1 euro per bike but are happy to leave riders potentially stranded.)

To answer your question, any auxiliary lights must dip or turn off when dipped headlights are required - oncoming traffic and/or lit roads - on unlit roads in the absence of oncoming traffic you can be lit up like the Sun if you want. In the presence of other traffic your lights must not dazzle other drivers, that is the only requirement.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

Dumb question, but a 399 cc bike, with 41 KW (200KG 0.205 P/w) is category A right?

Planning on doing the A test on this, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

A category A vehicle is defined as a motorcycle without a sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 595cm3, an unladen mass of more than 175kg., and an engine power of at least 50kW. If the motorcycle is powered by an electric motor, the power to weight ratio of the vehicle shall be at least 0.25kW/kg.

400cc not enough for A category. Also not A2 as its over 35KW for test purposes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement